Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Replaced my TT Volcano 7 with AX-7

Replaced my TT Volcano 7 with AX-7 with a Sanyo Denki 36.4 CFM fan last night.
    So far the AX7 is keeping my system temps about the same as the TT Volcano 7 but my system is much quieter. The fan on the Volcano 7 had a higher pitch when running at over 4000RPM.

With average computer usage, web browsing, listening to music, my temps are running 29C system and 41C CPU, room 74F.

Next step to quiet my system will be to replace my case fans.

My system:
    Lian-Li PC-60 USB
    Enermax EG465AX-VE9W)(FMA) 433 Watt
    EPOX 8KHA+ BIOS: 01/08/2002 U= bios chip
    Athlon XP1900+
    Windows XP Pro
    Leadtek GF3/Ti200 TDH - 128 MB
    Turtle Beach's Santa Cruz Sound Card
    Dell P990 19" Trinitron monitor
    AX-7 HS w/Sanyo Denki 36.4 CFM fan
    512MB (2x 256) Crucial PC2100 DDR
    1 - 60GB ATA Seagate Barracuda IV 7200 RPM
    Philips PCRW804 CDRW
    Pioneer 106S 16X Sloat load DVD
    MS Internet Keyboard PS/2
    MS USB Optical Intellimouse
    Netgear Fa311 10/100 NIC

Cool

The SLK-600 could be as much as 2 months away, but you hit the nail on the head in that, from my tests the SLK-600 is a stella performer if noise is not an issue!!

To my knowledge only two of us have had the chance to play with the SLK-600 and changes could be likely before production!!

Originally posted by PowerHungry
    The SLK-600 could be as much as 2 months away,

bummer

To my knowledge only two of us have had the chance to play with the SLK-600

I am sure u noticed that thermalright quoted u on their front page about it

I wish they had expanded the slk-600 to a slk-800, I like the way the heat spreader is in contact with both the top and bottom of the fin (ax-7 kind of has this also) I like the way that wedge allows the air to go right on buy making the turn the air has to make much wider therefore less backpressure and with a lot less dead area in the center (all visual guesses the proof is when we can get a production unit) it would be perfect if it was a 80mm ......or better yet 92mm

the SLK-600 is a stellar performer if noise is not an issue!!
    that is a hell of a tease PH your making my indecision worse

as the two sit right now (I know the slk-600 could change (remember the thermoengine?)) would it be safe to say that for the same amount of noise the AX-7 would perform better? or is the slk-600 still good with slower fans (e.g. not delta)?
    Last edited by RavenTai; 03-02-2002 at 11:05 AM.

Even if SLK-600 offers better cooling than AX-7, I'm sure it'll only be slightly better, and will require a major increase in noise. I don't understand why anyone would put up with so much more noise for a modest temp reduction, if any. Honestly, unless I lose my hearing, I don't see why I would ever want to buy another hi-end 60mm HSF.

Cool

Like the SK-6 the SLK-600 will require 60 mm high speed noisy fans to achieve it's potenial, so therefore the AX-7 would get better results with low speed 80 mm fans.

I agree with you that an SLK-800 would be the best of both worlds, but the weight could be a major factor and one of the reasons why it's the SLK-600!!

World-wide the jury is still out when it comes to 60 mm or 80 mm heatsinks and the differences in numbers sold is staggering in favor of 60 mm sinks, but this doesn't mean that it will stay that way!!

Quiet and performance from the same sink is gaining, so there is a real shot at the 80 mm units taking off!!

originally posted by powerhungry:
    the retail versions being sold today are better than any that I had received for testing.
    I saw an early version on www.overclockers.com...the clip is DEFINATELY far improved, but could be a bit better, IMO.
    Yes, the machining process leaves marks, what's important to note is where they are!! All the ones I've had have been totally flat and the machining marks were not where the heatsink makes contact with the core of the CPU or were not feelable by rubbing your fingernail over the center of the heatsink.
    mine had machining marks over the entire base, including the area where the heatsink makes contact...easily feelable with a fingernail. probably wouldn't affect performance too much if I had used the pink goo pad that was included, but the machining marks were definately too deep to fill with thermal grease. I had to lap it.
    this was the first heatsink that I've had that I DEFINATELY felt the need to lap...it was a long and very boring process. I'm glad some of you didn't have to lap yours, but mine definately needed it.
    I've NEVER lapped any HSF and personally I don't think it's necessary. What's important is flatness
    :::shrug::: you could be right. I havent done enough testing to know whether a few grooves or marks in the base would affect performance. You know, PH...since you are a reviewer..... (j/k)
    One of mine has a black mark on the aluminum, it looks like polishing compound that has dried. It should have been degreased better!!
    I'm assuming that was a joke . Mine had a couple of little black spots on it. I seriously doubt they affect performance.

Don't get me wrong...I'm VERY pleased with my AX-7. But I do feel that the type of peeps that read these forums would be interested in the fact that machining marks are present and easily detectable on some units, and will require lapping, if they are so inclined.
    originally posted by raventai:
    hmm it looks like the AX-7 will fit my A7M266 pic any if someone has tried it with that mobo please do tell
    I have the A7A266. Those yellow capacitors (if they're the same ones Asus used on mine...looks like it is) are very short, and will actually fit UNDER the AX-7's fins. The black ones are taller, but they don't look to be too close. just looking at the pic you posted, I'd say it would probably fit.

I agree with you that an SLK-800 would be the best of both worlds, but the weight could be a major factor and one of the reasons why it's the SLK-600!!
    I agree that weight is a concern with AX-7. I really hope some motherboard makers keep the mounting holes around the socket. I like how solidly mounted my PAL 8045 is, with no weight hanging on the socket. I feel safe moving my computer with 8045 installed, with AX-7 I would worry. I would hate to be forced into choosing between a superheavy clip-on 80mm HSF or a superloud 60mm HSF. Without the mounting holes that's what it'll come to. Maybe the sockets can be reinforced to take more weight.

Someplace where most would say "What The?"
    Originally posted by gahdzila
    I have the A7A266. Those yellow capacitors (if they're the same ones Asus used on mine...looks like it is) are very short, and will actually fit UNDER the AX-7's fins. The black ones are taller, but they don't look to be too close. just looking at the pic you posted, I'd say it would probably fit.

Are you saying that you got an AX-7 to fit on an A7A266? If so..I may order one...

Do tell!

Namek
    Athlon TB 1.0 @1.15
    SK6 w/ 38cfm Delta w/ ASII
    2x Panaflo 39cfm 80mm fans
    1x Panaflo 103.8cfm 120mm fan
    Asus A7A266
    256MB PC2100 DDR
    VisionTek Xtasy 6964 Geforce 3 TI500
    Maxtor DiamondMax 30GB
    IBM P200 Monitor
    Charter Pipeline Broadband--"fat people playing musical instruments."--Namek581
    Creative 12X DVD
    TDK 24X 10X 40X CDRW
    Creative SoundBlaster! Audigy Platnium
    Netgear FA312 NIC
    Enlight 7233 Case w/ Enhance 300w PSU
    Win XP Pro / Win 98 SE Dual Boot
    5.1 Speakers

My Crunchers:

"Eternal Artic"-AMD Athlon 1.0@1.15
    "Fix me now!"-AMD Duron 950 /stock/ (Breaks all the time )
    "Slow and Decrepit"-AMD Duron 750 /stock/

Yep I think I will order one also, if the slk-600 turns out to be awesome, I can always sell a nice lapped Ax-7, for close to what I have into it

While I got the mobo out I think I am going to cut a 120mm hole where my 60mm exhausts are, and block off the 60mm intake (the noisiest) hmm just got to pick the fans now

thanks for the decision assistance

Are you saying that you got an AX-7 to fit on an A7A266? If so..I may order one...
    yes...very snug, but it does fit. see my previous post on this thread, on page 9 or so, IIRC.

Just got me an AX-7 as well to replace my SK6 and I am happy to say that my temps went down.

Under load before = 44C
    Now with the AX-7 I am getting 41C. What is promising is that the Arctic Silver 3 hasn't settled in yet so I am hoping to hit 39C after the 72 hours settling in process. I will keep you updated.

BTW, this is with the Sunon 50cfm fan.
    Athlon XP 1700+ @ 2.53GHz
    Abit NF7-S Rev. 2
    GeIL 2x512MB PC3500 DDR @ 230MHz
    ATi Radeon 9700 PRO
    Thermalright SP-97 w/ Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
    SB Audigy 2
    WinXP PRO

www.driverheaven.net

Anyone tried it with 8K7A?

I'm about to buy an 8K7A, and would like to use this bad boy. Anyone personally tried it?
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...ulation_page=Y

Lian Li PC70 w/Clear Window/Blue Cold Cathodes/Custom Rheobus/Enermax 431watt - Asus A7N8X rev2.0 - XP2000+ - Swiftech MC462/U1A - 512mb pc2100 Crucial - Gainward GeForce4 Ti4400 - Plextor 12x10x32a - Pioneer 16x DVD - Maxtor 200gig 7200rpm 8Mb cache - Samsung 753DF - WIN XP PRO

Just got my Panaflo U1A in, and I am amazed. Idle temps are 30 and Load temps are 35. These are awesome numbers, and my computer is still quiet.

You may want to be carefull buying that board and a gf4 ti 4600. I do not personally own either part but I have been reading of many complaints at [H]ardocp of certain epox boards capacitors blocking the card as well as some people having problems with this graphic card and the amd 760 chipset. You may want to look into these issues before buying the board.

After only about 20 hours burn-in I am running 32 idle and 36 load using prime 95. Ambient is 25. My SK-6 used to go higher under load than the AX-7 does.

It is now time for my stupid question of the day. Since everyone has a unique cooling environment, is it possible that with a heatsink such as the AX-7 each user could find a "sweet spot" that provided maximum cooling depending on variables such as processor, vcore voltage, case fan configuration, ambient temperature, processor load, and other variables I haven't mentioned? Has anyone ever taken an extremely high speed fan such as the Delta EHE and measured temp results over a whole range of cfms? There must be a "fine tuned" point where an increase in cfm actually accomplishes little at all (or nothing). Of course, this testing procedure would vary with each hsf.
    Last edited by ricksimm; 03-06-2002 at 04:48 PM.