Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Soltek Mobos

Looking at pics of Soltek mobos, there seems to be a huge space restriction on them for attaching larger heatsinks (ie. the new Soltek KT333 board the SL-75DRV5 has a capacitor basically sitting on the corner of the cpu socket).

Soltek also has an FAQ saying that the Swiftech MCX-462 line of heatsinks are too large to fit on their Socket A boards.

Does anyone have a Soltek and can either verify that the Swiftech (and the AX7 which is larger) won't fit or counter Soltek and say that it does?

Just received my AX-7 from Plycon. It has noticeable machining marks where it will contact the core, and is covered with stains. But, ultimately, I really don't care. I don't intend to lap, since all I'm after is acceptable performance on a non-OCd system that doesn't require those in the same room to wear earplugs.

In any case, quick question on installation. From what I can gather from earlier in this thread, you just screw the fan screws into the space between the outermost fins. Is that right?

Seems like a poor design. How many times can you mount and dismount a fan before you strip the screws?

BTW, I have the A7V-266-E, the older version with the problematic capacitor. I'll post whether it fits.

Seems like a poor design. How many times can you mount and dismount a fan before you strip the screws?

That bothered me at first, but it's nothing to worry about, the screws Thermalright supply are exactly the right size, plus you don't need to apply anywhere near enough pressure to strip the threads in order to hold the fan securely.

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something obvious as I so often do.

As I recall, those outermost fins had a ridge or thread in them to securely hold the screws.

Main Box: BioStar TpowerX58 LGA 1366, Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core, 3GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2X250GB WD SATA, VisionTek Radeon 4870, Corsair 620w PS, Asus DRW-1608P3S & DRW-1814BL, Win7 SP1 & LinuxMint 10

Red Hour Video

RedHour Gaming

I looked pretty carefully and didn't see anything like that. And when I screwed the fan to the sink, it was apparent that it was simply the space between the fins that held it in place. Not a great design in my view, but if it actually holds the fan, it's really not an issue.

Again, will post whether it fits the older A7V-266-E as soon as I have the chance to try to install it (building another system this weekend so that may be a while).

To those that have the Thermalright AX-7, did you find that the base is far from perfect. I was reading the reviews before and remember seeing that the base was suppose to be fairly smooth. Mine came with a terrible base. I spent 2 hours lapping that thing, but now it has a mirror finish.
    Dell 2405FPW
    Lian Li PC-75B
    PCP&C 510 ASL
    DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    Opteron 180
    Chilly1 SS Phase Change
    2x512MB Mushkin Redline XP4000
    BFG 7800 GTX 256MB PCI-E
    2xWD 740GD RAID 0
    Maxtor 6B300S0
    Plextor PX-716SA
    Audigs 2 ZS
    Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1

There were slight machining marks visible on the one I received, but I didn't think it necessary to lap the thing, maybe, when I have nothing better to do I'll try lapping it, but I think it's working fine, as is. I'm happy with the temps I'm getting, 9C above ambient idling, 14C running games.

Mine not only came with noticable machine marks, but the copper slug on the bottom wasn't lined up perfectly. Although I doubt this affected the performance much I hope that it is not a common thing. As far as the machine marks, they are very fine and hard to detect with a fingernail, but are clearly visable. I lapped it a little bit, but tired of it quickly. I'm still getting MUCH netter temps with MUCH lower noise than my old vantec 6027.
    Abit KD7
    Duron 1600 @ 2400 (17x141) 1.85v
    ATI 9100
    400w Antec PS
    512 PC2100 Ugh!

My old SK6 had huge machining grooves and a severely concave base, so I'm not surprised that AX-7 has problems. There's another thread about white goo on the AX-7, which I guess is a machining lubricant. AX-7 only costs $29.95 so Thermalright is probably cutting corners somewhere. I'd guess some problems will persist as long as Thermalright tries to undercut Swiftech's and Alpha's prices. I personally don't mind lapping and cleaning a heatsink so it doesn't bother me. If the soldering or the clip were bad that would be a different matter.

Cool

I believe it's more of an attempt by Thermalright to rush the product to market!!

With resellers world-wide screaming for deliveries of the AX-7 as well as end users, I don't think anyone expected such a hugh demand so quickly!!

With resellers world-wide screaming for deliveries of the AX-7 as well as end users, I don't think anyone expected such a hugh demand so quickly!!
    There won't be anyone left to buy the poor SLK-600!(sniff)

Cool

Sure they will!!!!

Posted this elsewhere, but forgot I had promised to do so in this thread.

It fit on my older revision A7V-266E with a slight dremel mod.