Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I am thinking on getting the AX-7 HS to replace my current TT Volcano 7. I would like for my system to be quieter, I am not overclocking. I welcome any suggestions.

I have Lian Li PC60 case with the stock fans and my temperatures run around 31 case, and 42 CPU, 3970 RPM with just a minimal load.
    If I run Prime95 or Toast, temperatures rise to 34 case, and 46 CPU. I am crusing thru these forums to get some info on lowering the fan noise.

My system

Lian-Li PC-60 USB
    Enermax EG465AX-VE9W)(FMA) 433 Watt
    EPOX 8KHA+ BIOS: 11/02/2001 U= bios chip
    Athlon XP1900+
    Win XP Pro
    Leadtek GF3/Ti200 TDH - 128 MB
    Turtle Beach's Santa Cruz Sound Card
    Dell P990 19" Trinitron monitor
    TT Volcano 7 HSF
    512MB (2x 256) Crucial PC2100 DDR
    1 - 60GB ATA Seagate Barracuda IV 7200 RPM
    Philips PCRW804 CDRW
    Pioneer 106S 16X Sloat load DVD
    MS Internet Keyboard PS/2
    MS USB Optical Intellimouse
    Netgear Fa311 10/100 NIC

Originally posted by torresdl

My system

Lian-Li PC-60 USB
    Enermax EG465AX-VE9W)(FMA) 433 Watt
    EPOX 8KHA+ BIOS: 11/02/2001 U= bios chip
    Athlon XP1900+
    Win XP Pro
    Leadtek GF3/Ti200 TDH - 128 MB
    Turtle Beach's Santa Cruz Sound Card
    Dell P990 19" Trinitron monitor
    TT Volcano 7 HSF
    512MB (2x 256) Crucial PC2100 DDR
    1 - 60GB ATA Seagate Barracuda IV 7200 RPM
    Philips PCRW804 CDRW
    Pioneer 106S 16X Sloat load DVD
    MS Internet Keyboard PS/2
    MS USB Optical Intellimouse
    Netgear Fa311 10/100 NIC
    God you have a nice computer.

Thanks Faction

This was my first AMD build, not even a month old. I just wish it was a little quieter. But I am very impressed with this system, very fast!

I think my HSF is getting worse . A Week ago, with case open, and outside of desk, lots of air getting to it, i had 46 C lowest idling.

Now i have a window open [its COLD outside], case open, out of desk and it is at a steady 51 C. I dont really mind the temp.. just thought this was kinda wierd.

Now im just gonna wait to see what i need beside bare heatsink and the panaflo fan .. like a tail or whatever, then order it when i can get it all at one site.

Bump for my question:
    Well, plans got cancelled, so I can install my AX-7. Just have a question. I know this sounds stupid, but how do I install the fan on the AX-7? Like where do the screws and those rubber things go. I have worked with alot of heatsinks, but this one is different.

Originally posted by Naz20xl
    Bump for my question:
    Well, plans got cancelled, so I can install my AX-7. Just have a question. I know this sounds stupid, but how do I install the fan on the AX-7? Like where do the screws and those rubber things go. I have worked with alot of heatsinks, but this one is different.
    Im waiting for a responce to, because im gonna need to do this soon

Cool

First of all the fan blows down on the heatsink.

Place the fan on top and you'll see that the holes in the fan line up between fins on every corner, now place a rubber washer underneath the fan on all four corners and then insert the screws in the fan holes and tighten them in a criss-cross pattern, don't overtighten as that will collapse the washers.

Originally posted by PowerHungry
    First of all the fan blows down on the heatsink.

Place the fan on top and you'll see that the holes in the fan line up between fins on every corner, now place a rubber washer underneath the fan on all four corners and then insert the screws in the fan holes and tighten them in a criss-cross pattern, don't overtighten as that will collapse the washers.
    Uhh holy crap. Im gonna HAVE to get this installed by someone else now. Ill break somthing.

Originally posted by Faction

Uhh holy crap. Im gonna HAVE to get this installed by someone else now. Ill break somthing.
    jiminy cricket Faction... its not like brain surgery.

It starts like this:

put the screws thru the fan and put the washers in place then screw down the fan as directed above and it looks like this:

If ya cant do that urself, I would definitely recommend you stay away from watercooling. Cause you'll just burn stuff up.

forgive me for I was preparing to post an inflamatory and spiteful comment.

Well, that was pretty easy. Thanks PowerHungry for the tips. I have to use my only Antec Fan, because the TT Smart Fan I had, just broke one of it's wires that connects to the temp. sensor, and I don't have anything to solder it, so I can run at full speed.

Lol you gotta realise, im not all experience like you guys, but i do idolize you, so please dont get mad at me. im just trying to learn. If i had a job i wouldnt care and i would intsall and try stuff through trial and error, but i dont, so i cant go randomly putting a heatsink on and killing my new 200$ processor..

Sigh

Well, at least he's not an Intel user. Heheh. J/k man. Just set it on top of the cpu very gently, don't twist it around or slide it across the top. It's not hard, just use common sense. Attach the end of the clip without the little lip first, MAKING SURE that you have the base right, the end of the clip with the place to put the screwdriver should be over the raised part of the ZIF socket. Then attach the other end, using your fingers or a screwdriver, haven't attached this one myself, looks like it might require a screwdriver though, to pull the clip out, and down over the little tabs. Be gentle and you'll be fine. This should all have been done AFTER you apply some sort of thermal paste, preferably Artic Silver, but not neccessarily. Then attach the fan, just set it on top of the heatsink, put the washers wherever it is they are supposed to go, on the screw, under the fan, wherever, thread the screws down into the holes in the fan, tighten them up carefully, PLUG IN THE FAN, (this is something forgotten often, especially when installing an awesome new heatsink that you're giddy about, am I right? ) and you're ready to go.

Doesn't get much easier than that. Don't be afraid, like Tigs said. If you can't do this, or are too afraid to, then you really shouldn't be building your own system. It can be scary your first time, but so can other things. Heheh.
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...ulation_page=Y

Lian Li PC70 w/Clear Window/Blue Cold Cathodes/Custom Rheobus/Enermax 431watt - Asus A7N8X rev2.0 - XP2000+ - Swiftech MC462/U1A - 512mb pc2100 Crucial - Gainward GeForce4 Ti4400 - Plextor 12x10x32a - Pioneer 16x DVD - Maxtor 200gig 7200rpm 8Mb cache - Samsung 753DF - WIN XP PRO

You can also take it to a local computer shop and have them install it

Main Box: BioStar TpowerX58 LGA 1366, Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core, 3GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2X250GB WD SATA, VisionTek Radeon 4870, Corsair 620w PS, Asus DRW-1608P3S & DRW-1814BL, Win7 SP1 & LinuxMint 10

Red Hour Video

RedHour Gaming

K thanks, if all else fails ill just do it myself :].

I checked a local comp shop, i asked the guy, and he said when he reinstalls HSF's he dosnt clean the thermal tape or anything, he dosnt use grease, and had never heard of artic silver.. so.. i trusy myself a bit more than him