Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Add for UK www.ebuyer.com - prices are usually quite low compared to most other online stores.

MSI Neo2 Platinum nForce3 Ultra S939
    Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm @2607 (11x237)
    Thermalright XP-90 + Papst 92mm 55cfm
    4x1GB Crucial PC3200
    Raptor 74GB SATA system drive + WD800JB data + Highpoint RocketRAID 100 (2x 80GB WD800JB RAID-1) + Onboard SATA (2x 120GB Maxtor DM9+ SATA RAID-0) + Maxtor Maxline Plus II 250GB backup drive
    Radeon X800 Pro (16 pipes) 500/500MHz
    Win XP SP2

Part-time SETI crunchers: Athlon XP 2400+; Athlon XP 2100+; Athlon XP Barton 2500+@2.0GHz; Pentium-M 745

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.
    Looking for RAM heatspreaders in the Vancouver area. Anyone had any luck recently.

I don't want to epoxy individual 20mm*10mm video RAM heatsinks onto my RAM.

Angry Montreal Buyers Beware!

DO NOT DO BUSINESS with ShopLci (LCmtl.com) a.k.a. La Centrale d'Informatique. I have been burned by them on more than 1 occasion and have since heard MANY horror stories that put futureshop and microbytes to shame. Worst of all is the manager/owner of the original store. He's dishonest and an overrall jerk. One of their favorite tactics is to ask fore a deposit on an order, then wait 2-4 weeks for the prices to drop and charge you the OLD price for your order even though they placed it at the last minute and payed the newly reduced price from their distributors.

I do contract(permanent) work for a major distributor in montreal and have managed to glean a LOT of privy information on MANY local computer stores and I really have trouble recommending ANY local stores to my friends. If i HAD to pick a store or two in montreal it would be www.cie-tech.com or www.alco.qc.ca , but again I cannot wholeheartedly recommend either with 100% confidence.

I HAVE in the past ordred from www.BigfootComputers.com and did not have a very enjoyable experience with them, even after I fixed the script error on their web site's home page.

I have recently placed an order from www.e-compuvision.com, I will let u know how that turns out.

It really sux to be a consumer these days...

Nice post gpk and sorry

I live in montreal too and I would like to know what do you think of those stores:

www.sigmawave.com
    www.micro-extreme.com
    www.ordigros.com
    www.cost-micro.com

I knew Shop LCI sucked bad. One day I went too their store and asked for a good cooler. The guy knew totally nothing an he picked from like the 5 HSF behind him a Volcano II With Futureshop... OMG !! What a buch of jerk !!! I saw a guy with an old compaq and he had a virus on his HD. The guy told him: format your HD ... what a lamer... Also did you ever visited those site : www.computers-canada.com and www.info-materiel.com

I swear by cash and carry. There is no way of getting screwed by shipping or back-orders...or scam artists.

I walk into Bigfoot, Canadacomputers, or Infonec, and walk out with what I want. If the item isn't in stock, they don't get my money.

It helps that I live within an hour of Toronto, but the same rule could apply where ever you are.

I'm not saying all online ordering is a hassle, but I definately don't want to find out the hard way.

Montreal stores...

Havent heard much of SigmaWave or Ordi Gros in the last year or two...
    Ive been to Sigmawave couple of times myself but I don't have enough information to form an accurate opinon of them.

Micro Extreme has a pretty high volume of orders from us which may indicate thet they're doing well businesswise. From what I understand thought, they mostly go after the mid range crowds; not the more tech saavy customer. If you're gonna buy complete system from them hand pick your parts, they tend to put mid-range less expensive parts in them, rumor has it.

Other than that I can't really comment on any of them, and I wouldn't want to speculate.

I can say that I have been to many computer stores personally and nearly all of em left a bad taste in my mouth. Quite frankly from now on I will either order online from other provinces , or ask to get the pieces straight from the distributors.

Power users are the best customers: we know what we want, we just want to pay for it and get out. Still we get the old "used car salesman" routine. Next time I'm at Future Shop I just may end up punching one of the salesmen for lying to customers!

gpk

Re: Montreal stores...

Originally posted by gpk

Power users are the best customers: we know what we want, we just want to pay for it and get out. Still we get the old "used car salesman" routine. Next time I'm at Future Shop I just may end up punching one of the salesmen for lying to customers!

That's just damn true ! But if I understood... you have an idea of those stores because your work place buy hardware from them !?!? If you would have to buy a new PC, where would you go !?!?

bump

Lightbulb ...

Actually I have bought and dealth with many stores as a regular customer, they don't know I work for one of their suppliers (distributor). I've tried to use both to form an opinion.

If i HAD to pick a store or two in montreal it would be www.cie-tech.com or www.alco.qc.ca , but again I cannot wholeheartedly recommend either with 100% confidence.
    Your best bet I suppose is to decided what you want in your system and shop around from these 2 and maybe MicroExtreme.

Don't quote me on it tho, I don't wanna be responsible for your misfortune

Like anything in life it's a gamble i guess...

gpk

N.B. Si tu prefere je peux te repondre en francais...

lol Tu parle bien anglais !! Je crois que les admin prefèrerait l'anglais si tu vois...

The guy at www.info-materiel.com told me that www.sigmawave.com , www.micro-extreme.com , www.ordigros.com , and www.cost-micro.com were good. Check out his web site dude. He told me that sigmawave will never try to "crosser" He said that micro extreme had the best prices he like ordi gros and that cost micro were the more friendly. I have another online friend who say that ordigros rulez on this forum www.pchardwareforum.com ( _/N$@N!TY_ ) . So I'm only 13 and I would do a huge upgrade ( kinda build a PC ) when I'll be 14 and what I'm thinking of doing is to give what parts I want to each shop and I'll pick the best prices... If I have a lot of luck I'll like the 4 shop... and maybe I'll hate one or 2... what do you think ?

svp gpk !

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.
    For all you Vancouverites.....

ATIC's got CRUCIAL!!!!!!!!!

256M DDR266 Micron-Crucial - $95

512M DDR-PC2100: 266mhz Infineon original $185, as well.

Not really any price diff from ordering online, but hey this way ya can get it w/o plastic.

Canadian Online Retailers Here!!

[2:00 AM]

After a long search, I finally hit upon a goldmine site with a huge listing of online retailers at www.canada.com

http://www.estorecanada.com/shop/def...wpDUt286aoK4AA is the link if anyone wants to take a look.

I've looked through some of them and filtered out the big name ones like Futureshop, etc. as well as sites that I know you guys won't like.

www.directpc.ca - Richmond based computer store. Free shipping within GVRD I think. No PST for orders outside BC and within Canada!

www.compdirect.ca - Big reseller of Kingston products. Based in Toronto.

www.aebc.com - Based in Richmond. Website database is a little buggy though.

www.ats-systems.com - Toronto based company. Has the regular range of computer products.

http://www.pointofsaledepot.com - Specializes in Input devices, including barcode readers! HQ is in Thunder Bay, ON but ships out of a warehouse in Tenessee.

www.cendirect.com - Based in Lasalle Quebec. Decent prices, and noticed that they sell Crucial PC2100 memory. Also sells HP, Compaq, IBM, and Kingston RAM in addition to your regular computer store merchandise.

http://www.shop-csc.com - Toronto based company that sells a whole variety of non-peripheral products such as iPods (which is now compatible with Windows if you have Firewire!!) and brand-specific computers.

www.computerfrontports.com - Well, the name says it all. Not sure where they're based at, but they're listed on some other computer retail sites as well, so I guess they're legit. Free shipping to Canada and US!

www.dsscanuck.com - Based in Saskatoon. Sells a plethora of electronics equipment.

http://gdbsolutions.ca/shoponline/ - Based in Kanata, ON. Sells a wide range of HP, 3com, Cisco, Maxtor, WD, Matrox, Seagate, and Promise products that would be hard to find elsewhere.

www.gbcomp.com - Quebec based company that sells COOLING PRODUCTS in addition to the regular stuff.

[2:55 AM - Losing ability to type coherently ]

www.handheldcanada.com - Victoria based company specializing in well, handheld computing!

www.hltechnology.com - New Westminster (GVRD) based company that sells SHUTTLE BAREBONES! Also sells Samsung memory but not sure if it's 3P PCB or not.

www.insight.com/canada - Montreal based division of Insight. I think they sell non-peripheral computer products a la Future Shop. You know what I'm talking about.

www.ipc.ca - Just another computer store . Based in Markham (Whereever that is.. postal code starts with an L)

www.itwebstore.com - Vancouver based company with a huge range of products, including Fiber Optic Cable for only 150$ a meter ... or 25 for 371

www.merconnet.com - Montreal based company that sells LCD screens in addition to portable hardware and accessories for your GB, PS2, and DC.

www.techwarehouse.com - Another regular computer store. Doesn't say where they are from though, so that's kind of sketchy.

www.microwarehouse.ca - Another computer store based in Mississauga. You can never have too many.

www.mycableshop.com - Whitby ON based company that specializes in cables and non-electronic (can't think of a better word) hardware. Includes rounded IDE, case cpu and hard drive fans, pc fan alarms, vid/chipset coolers, PC repair tools, PC specific screws, mobo standoffs, cable plates and accessories, and case lighting.

www.ncix.com - I think every Canadian shopper will know about this site.

www.oxycom.com - regular computer store. Sells Crucial PC2100 memory.

[3:24 AM - Almost done..]

www.pccanada.com - Etobicoke, ON. Very cool because it has a huge section dedicated to links to their competitors' websites.

www.vistek.ca - Toronto based company specializing in video/photo equipment in addition to regular products.

www.voodoopc.com - Heard of Alienware? This is the Canadian equivalent. I think it's based in Calgary cuz of the 403 area code. There are some very cool systems here, including the IRON CHEF.

Well, those are all the sites I've looked through. I still have to look over some of these sites' links as well as a site I found on the way called www.retailcanada.com.

Canadian users: feel free to add your favourite sites.. we can never have too many stores to pick from, with the whole swampage of "non-International" companies *cough*newegg*cough* that are out there.

Anyways, it's 3:35 AM, and I am going to bed. Enjoy!

BTW, feel free to post any mistakes that I have made, so I can change this list.

Nice bunch of links. Thanks

Try this: http://www.computers-canada.com/

Searchable index of stores, products etc. Almost like Pricewatch for Canadians, but different.

- Jerky.
    Mobile Editor - PC Perspective
    Follow me on Twitter