Hybrid View

XP Compatibility Max payne, others

I figure this is one of those repeated threads. Sorry; but, I couldnt find a solution.

I just re-installed Max Payne. It simply closes as soon as I load the game.

The default settings were high. Since I know for whatever reason, Max Payne has serious issues on high, i dropped the settings, one by one. Still, nothing.

I cant figure out what is wrong here, as I am running an amd xp 1800+ 512 mb ddr ram.

Is there any way to play this blasted game, or, am I screwed again?

Also, wondering if anyone was able to get Carmageddon 1 or 2 to play?

Thanks
    Fear The Bat
    I am Vengeance. I am the night. I am Batman.

Please join the eBay boycott:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/boycottebay/start

dude, one question, did you download and install the latest patch? from wut i know it should fix u right up, if not then i dunno wut to tell you.

good luck.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Browse around here for Patches and Downloads.
    http://www.maxpayneheadquarters.com/
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Talking

Originally posted by IAmGhostDog
    Thanks for the link. I'm not a hardcore gamer,
    I buy a game, expect it to work. But, with win xp, I discovered many of the games I purchased dont work. Despite using the cd-edition compatibility program. I guess that's a little known program on the win xp cd. It has 200 options that can be tweaked for 1000's of possible combinations to make a program compatible. Yet, I still cant get many games to run. LOL.

Anyway, thanks much. I'm d/ling a patch or 2. See if that works.
    Fear The Bat

Talking

Originally posted by BMXer
    dude, one question, did you download and install the latest patch? from wut i know it should fix u right up, if not then i dunno wut to tell you.

good luck.
    Thanks. Not being a hardcore gamer, I never really thought about patches, I guess; muchless, where to find them. I'm d/ling one as I type.
    I guess I just dont understand why companies cant get things to work before they ship them out. I know all companies do this, but, seems to me, theyd be better off getting it right the first time. Oh well.

Anyway; thanks. I'll let you know how this patch works. Seems like it will, because it mentions the problem I'm having.
    Fear The Bat

Dunno, I ran it before I upgraded from 2k to XP, but it worked fine for me under 2k.

In fact, even CS works fine for me under XP with the 27.42 drivers.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

i have xp and max payne works for me outta the box. as do most if not all of my other 40-50 games.

u musta either improperly installed your os, or some hardware. a good reformatting may help.

the reason games don't work on ALL systems when they're shipped is becuase companies can't test the stuff on everytype of setup possible. they beta test sure, but that can only do so much. its usually not even they're fuat. lots of patches in my oppinion get a game to work on crappy installs of your os, bad hardware, and just regualar old human error. they even add in support for older machines. just be glad u don't use a console.

hope this clears everything up for you.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Re: XP Compatibility Max payne, others

Originally posted by Batman
    I figure this is one of those repeated threads. Sorry; but, I couldnt find a solution.

I just re-installed Max Payne. It simply closes as soon as I load the game.

The default settings were high. Since I know for whatever reason, Max Payne has serious issues on high, i dropped the settings, one by one. Still, nothing.

I cant figure out what is wrong here, as I am running an amd xp 1800+ 512 mb ddr ram.

Is there any way to play this blasted game, or, am I screwed again?

Also, wondering if anyone was able to get Carmageddon 1 or 2 to play?

Thanks
    Sounds like its the Via 4 in 1's acting up to me. Maybe redownload the latest ones?

Talking

Originally posted by IAmGhostDog
    That did the trick; thanks. I d/l'd the 1.1 I think, and it was corrupted. So, I tried the other patch, everything rocks. I even maxed out the details, everything on high, triple or antrisopic or whatever buffering that is, 4x a/a the works. Runs great.

Thanks for the site. I bookmarked it.
    Fear The Bat

Originally posted by ozzy983
    Dunno, I ran it before I upgraded from 2k to XP, but it worked fine for me under 2k.

In fact, even CS works fine for me under XP with the 27.42 drivers.

Later,
    Oz
    Dummy me. It was just a problem with needing an updated game patch. It's weird, cuz it worked under my old system. at least for a while, til it decided i needed to get crashed. LOL.
    I tested it loading everything on high, it works.
    Btw, do you have Mechwarrior 4?? I was never able to get that to play. Maybe thats patches too. Who knows? I'll worry about it when i get to the M's in my software. I have over 100 gaming cd's So, obviously, no hurry here.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Nice to know what works with others and what doesnt.
    Fear The Bat

Talking

i have xp and max payne works for me outta the box. as do most if not all of my other 40-50 games.

u musta either improperly installed your os, or some hardware. a good reformatting may help.

the reason games don't work on ALL systems when they're shipped is becuase companies can't test the stuff on everytype of setup possible. they beta test sure, but that can only do so much. its usually not even they're fuat. lots of patches in my oppinion get a game to work on crappy installs of your os, bad hardware, and just regualar old human error. they even add in support for older machines. just be glad u don't use a console.

LOL. Just reformatted. I had someone else build my system. Someone I trust completely. I had him format my hard drive, install windows XP, and load all my usual problematic hardware.

Not sure how one screws up OS installation, you just put the disk in, and let it do its thing; but, i'm sure i've blundered it in the past, including my previous install. Especially my previous install.

So far all is good; just ran into that problem (So far anyway), and it turned out you were right: needed a patch. Dont know why, really. But, who cares? It works now.

Thanks for your input. it greatly appreciated.
    Fear The Bat

Talking

Woops; posted that last post to Ozzy; meant it for you. I already posted to Ozzy before that.Must be tired. LOL. Sorry guys.

Anyway; thanks much for your help. You were right to begin with; it was a patch problem. Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Fear The Bat