PC problem - Lives at stake!!!

PC has been acting weird since yesterday. At first it wouldnt boot at all, the fans would turn off a split second after restarting. Left it along for a couple of hours unplugged and that fixed it. However the AGP Card (GF2 GTS) is causing problems with the nv4_disp.dll everytime i run a 3d game.

Plucked it out of there and put it in to my old system and it works fine. The fan for the AGP Card however has refused to work. Could be that ?

Anyway I took some radical steps after running in to totally unrelated problems (taking an insane amount of time to do something trivial as displaying the contents of a folder), I formatted the HD, reinstalled XP Pro.

But now the DSL connection is offline. XP does the automatic network installation and when I look at the LAN connection, it shows packets outbound but none inbound. And when I try to log in to my DSL Account, I get a '678' error. Confusing as hell. I use Bellsouth for my DSL.

Am at my wits end right now. The things to do are as below for me :

Get the AGP thing fixed. Some had pointed out to me that it may be becase the AGP slot is not getting enough juice. Could you tell me how much it should get ? Or point me to the right place.

This is my Rig :

Athlon XP 2000+
    Abit KX-7 333
    Volcano 7 Heatsink
    Samsung PC-2700 512 MB RAM
    WD 120JB Hard disk as the Primary Master
    WD 120GB HD as Primary Slave
    LiteOn LTD-163 DVD ROM as Secondary Master
    LiteOn 40x12x48x Burner as Secondary Slave
    Ethernet NIC Card on PCI 3
    SB Live Card on PCI 1
    Geforce2 GTS 32 MB Card
    Microsoft Intellimouse Wireless

Any help would be appreciated. I know the DSL issue is confusing, but the NIC Card works fine on my older system. And I get the Error : 678 (Unable to connect to the remote machine) error when I try with my new one.

I will give this one a shot...

First off, if the fan on your Geforce is not spinning, you will certainly encounter problems related to the GPU over heating. Geforce processors put out a significant amount of heat. Either RMA the card or replace the fan and/or heatsink.

As for the NIC issue, try to uninstall and reinstall the NIC and drivers.

Then try to run the IE connection wizard selecting LAN as the connection option (as no doubt you have done already..)

You might try rebooting the DSL modem (just unplug the power and reconnect). Try to release and renew the IP address : run> cmd...ipconfig/all (to view) ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew

Hope that helps as a starter

Last edited by marklar; 05-22-2002 at 05:01 PM.

The thermaltake crystal orb is a good replacement hsf+fan for this card, with the exception that it's rpm will not be monitored by the gf card software, as it will be powered from the mobo or direct from the psu.
    AndyR (UK)
    Abit AV8 3rd Eye, 3200+ Venice, 420w PSU, Radeon 9550 128, 1Gb PC3200 DDR, IBM 40 Gb, Maxtor 80 Gb, 160Gb SATA
    Abit NF7 v2.0, Sempron 2800 @ 2200, ALX-800 HSF, 1Gb PC3200 DDR, 360w PSU, 160 GB Maxtor IDE HDD,