Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Slackware Setup help

I get all the way through the Slackware install until it finally asks you to reboot. then when I do so and load up linux it stops at a prompt that says darkstar login: Where to I go from here? I can log into the root but I'm still just at a simple prompt. Help a n00b please.
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon1; 03-27-2004 at 04:56 PM.

doesnt make sense to me either.thats far as i got too. now im usin suse,but bump for an answer-
    Biostar 790gx am2+
    Phenom II x4 720
    Sapphire Ati 4850(512mb)
    raid-0 x2 36gb raptors
    g.skill 2x2gb ram
    750 watt psu
    28 inch Hanns-g lcd monitor

tried the simple things, like typing slackware? or sometihng like that?

See if 'startx' at the prompt does anything for you.
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    --from "Ulysses", Tennyson

If you completed the install and the os boots then at the prompt type startx which will launch the window manager you decided on during the install.

Oops....Gil-galad you beat me by a minute.

You know, I could of sworn I typed that and it said something about bash command not recognized or something. Though should I log in as the root and then type startx? I didn't ever set up or was given the option to create other users so I don't see how I can do it any other way. I'm going to try again in a little while because I have to reconfigure LILO as it didn't give me the option to boot my windows partition when I installed it on the first disk's MBR.

You shouldn't have to be root to run startx, but if you have created no other users, then root it will have to be
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    --from "Ulysses", Tennyson

Well I reconfigured Slack and got KDE to start Now I just need to figure out how to update the Kernel and install my GFX card drivers, and update to KDE 3.2 :P Any hints?

That is of course after I get the internet working. I keep getting unknown host errors and I can't find out where to change it at...

Now it's time to login.. you set a password for root at some point, login with it

login: root
    password: XXX

now you're in, if you want to get into a gui, type:

root@darkstar: startx

and that will start XFree86 with whatever window manager you chose (gnome, kde, blackbox, etc)

You'll want to do some tweaking I'm sure.. the biggest thing is to install the correct video drivers

I use an Nvidia 5900 card, so after downloading the drivers you'll want to logout of kde and switch to where you saved them..

root@darkstar: cd /dirwherethedriversare
    root@darkstar: sh NVIDIA_driversblahblah

follow directions

then

root@darkstar: pico /etc/X11/XF86config

scroll down to where it talks about your video driver, and change "vesa" to "nvidia"

then startx again and you're good to go

If you want to add another user then do this from the console (or xterm)

root@darkstar: adduser nikkos (for example)

will ask you a bunch of stuff, just hit enter until you need to put in a password, and that's it.

Nikkos

Sounds great with one exception. I can't download anything including new drivers unless I can get the internet connection to work. Konqueror just says "unknown host"

Does control center>hardware see your modem?

On broadband. Do you mean my NIC?

I have internet now but I am having difficult installing the ati drivers. They are in rpm format. When I follow the directions from the site to install it gives me an error about how I am missing multiple dependencies.