1. #15751
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,164
    Originally posted by BWM on 04-02-2004 at 08:21 PM
    Just picture an old coot all wound up and ranting about something. Kind of like the old fart shaking his cane and cursing up a storm. Big thing is, its gotta be funny as hell for others to see

    I mean its cool to bust up the whippersnappers ya know!


    ok...i follow ya now...hilarious. not there yet. you are right...gonna take some time...
    hmm...

  2. #15752
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,164
    Originally posted by IAmGhostDog on 04-02-2004 at 08:25 PM
    I be right here.
    Good to hear on your check up.
    Went with the ZS?
    Nice card.
    Finally got my wireless network done.
    Finished.
    No issues.
    Running a 802.11g wireless base, plus tossed a 802.11g D-Link into wifes lappy.
    54Mps.
    Nice.
    Gave her her own email account accessible only on her lap top.
    Got Norton AV and ZoneAlarm going on.
    Print sharing enabled.
    Getting tossed off of my rig because of her school needs is now a thing of the past.
    Nice.
    evenin GD

    looks like you got your print sharing deal worked out. good deal
    hmm...

  3. #15753
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by IAmGhostDog on 04-02-2004 at 05:25 PM
    I be right here.
    Good to hear on your check up.
    Went with the ZS?
    Nice card.
    Finally got my wireless network done.
    Finished.
    No issues.
    Running a 802.11g wireless base, plus tossed a 802.11g D-Link into wifes lappy.
    54Mps.
    Nice.
    Gave her her own email account accessible only on her lap top.
    Got Norton AV and ZoneAlarm going on.
    Print sharing enabled.
    Getting tossed off of my rig because of her school needs is now a thing of the past.
    Nice.
    Evening GD. Yea, got the Audigy 2 ZS. I still thought the SB Live was pretty good but the ZS runs right on by it no sweat. Real easy to tell with these klipsch speakers.

    Good deal on the wireless. Good security ya have too. All my stuff is still regular old wired RJ45 10/100 stuff but I'd change over to wireless real fast if I had a laptop. Someday...

  4. #15754
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,164
    Originally posted by BWM on 04-02-2004 at 08:44 PM
    Evening GD. Yea, got the Audigy 2 ZS. I still thought the SB Live was pretty good but the ZS runs right on by it no sweat. Real easy to tell with these klipsch speakers.

    Good deal on the wireless. Good security ya have too. All my stuff is still regular old wired RJ45 10/100 stuff but I'd change over to wireless real fast if I had a laptop. Someday...
    im slowly working my way to wireless...got the router...but thats it...gonna migrate little by little...router is a wired/wireless deal...can go either way.

    linksys befw1154
    hmm...

  5. #15755
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by The Wise One on 04-02-2004 at 05:49 PM
    im slowly working my way to wireless...got the router...but thats it...gonna migrate little by little...router is a wired/wireless deal...can go either way.

    linksys befw1154
    Potential security issues on these wireless setups interests me. I'll have to get into that pretty soon.

  6. #15756
    Originally posted by The Wise One on 04-02-2004 at 07:33 PM
    evenin GD

    looks like you got your print sharing deal worked out. good deal
    Evening Wise.
    Yup real pleased.
    Here is the magic bullet.
    Took me a long time to sort it out.
    See the check by File and Printer Sharing?
    You would assume it's enabled.
    Wrong.




    Click Install and you see this.



    I installed those three things.
    My two computers were now talking to each other.
    Made sure my printer did indeed have Print Sharing enabled.
    Click print test page.
    Bang!
    Like magic thru the air waves.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

  7. #15757
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,164
    amazing how a little thing like that can get ya...

    never would have thought to look there...

    glad you got it tho.
    hmm...

  8. #15758
    Originally posted by BWM on 04-02-2004 at 07:55 PM
    Potential security issues on these wireless setups interests me. I'll have to get into that pretty soon.
    It's interesting.
    Have a 16 digit random security key for router and a 26 digit key to log onto my network.
    No key. No log in.
    I have a firewall built into router and I'm running ZoneAlarm on top of that.
    Talk about stealth.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

  9. #15759
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by IAmGhostDog on 04-02-2004 at 06:03 PM
    It's interesting.
    Have a 16 digit random security key for router and a 26 digit key to log onto my network.
    No key. No log in.
    I have a firewall built into router and I'm running ZoneAlarm on top of that.
    Talk about stealth.
    I'm running a linksys befsx41 firewall/router here. It passes everything on steve gibson's site no problem, full stealth, so I assume I'm ok. What do ya think?

  10. #15760
    Originally posted by The Wise One on 04-02-2004 at 07:49 PM
    im slowly working my way to wireless...got the router...but thats it...gonna migrate little by little...router is a wired/wireless deal...can go either way.

    linksys befw1154
    I'm using one of these.
    Microsoft Wireless Base Station
    Link
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

  11. #15761
    Originally posted by BWM on 04-02-2004 at 08:06 PM
    I'm running a linksys befsx41 firewall/router here. It passes everything on steve gibson's site no problem, full stealth, so I assume I'm ok. What do ya think?
    You should be allright.
    Gonna' run this set up by him when I get a chance.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

  12. #15762
    Originally posted by The Wise One on 04-02-2004 at 08:00 PM
    amazing how a little thing like that can get ya...

    never would have thought to look there...

    glad you got it tho.
    Thanx.
    When you spend as much time looking as I did.
    I just knew it had to be somewhere.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

  13. #15763
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,164
    Originally posted by BWM on 04-02-2004 at 09:06 PM
    I'm running a linksys befsx41 firewall/router here. It passes everything on steve gibson's site no problem, full stealth, so I assume I'm ok. What do ya think?
    steve gibsons site?
    hmm...

  14. #15764
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,164
    ok...whats the difference between 802.11g and 802.11b?
    hmm...

  15. #15765
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by The Wise One on 04-02-2004 at 06:17 PM
    steve gibsons site?
    Ya, its www.grc.com

    He's been around since dirt, a little screwey sometimes, but he knows his stuff and is widely consulted on IT security. That have a full array of tests. Make sure that your router is set to not acknowledge ping requests.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •