Page 505 of 2051 FirstFirst ... 540545549550150250350450550650750850951555560510051505 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 30764
    Originally posted by BWM
    Morning Wise. No problem. My personal UPS preference is APC. The Back-UPS-RS series should be the best for you.

Recommended models in the series are BR1000 for ~ $250, or BR1500 for ~ $300. My pick would be the former:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...CountryCode=US

Product/Size selector:

http://www.apc.com/template/size/apc...pe=workstation

Battery Info: this model is a new one for which the website shows no info as yet. It is a sealed lead/acid battery with upgrade options available.
    thanks for the info.

what of battery life when it isnt being used to keep a machine alive during an outage?

once i exceed the time that ups will keep a machine alive...is the battery gone?

ex...if i have enough hooked up to it, and it provides 15 minutes of backup power...once that 15 minutes expires...do i have to replace the battery?
    hmm...

Originally posted by The Wise One
    what of battery life when it isnt being used to keep a machine alive during an outage?

once i exceed the time that ups will keep a machine alive...is the battery gone?

ex...if i have enough hooked up to it, and it provides 15 minutes of backup power...once that 15 minutes expires...do i have to replace the battery?
    The battery is constantly being trickle-charged when not in use, so it's always at full capacity when needed. An occasional discharge of the battery, followed by a normal re-charge, is a good thing to do.

Once discharged resulting from a power failure, the battery only has to be recharged, then it is ready again. That all takes place automatically. The battery only needs to be replaced when it can no longer hold a charge, or when the voltage sags abnormally when lightly loaded. Pretty much the same as a lead/acid car battery. I haven't had to change any of mine in 3 years.

Morning you guys!!

Originally posted by BWM
    The battery is constantly being trickle-charged when not in use, so it's always at full capacity when needed. An occasional discharge of the battery, followed by a normal re-charge, is a good thing to do.

Once discharged resulting from a power failure, the battery only has to be recharged, then it is ready again. That all takes place automatically. The battery only needs to be replaced when it can no longer hold a charge, or when the voltage sags abnormally when lightly loaded. Pretty much the same as a lead/acid car battery. I haven't had to change any of mine in 3 years.
    fantastic! thanks for all the help and info bro.

i am struggling big time with my server now. have been since yesterday....

tried SuSE 8.1 but cant connect to the net. i have a post up about it in the linux forum....
    hmm...

fantastic! thanks for all the help and info bro.

i am struggling big time with my server now. have been since yesterday....

tried SuSE 8.1 but cant connect to the net. i have a post up about it in the linux forum....
    You're welcome TWO. Will check out the post.

Originally posted by BWM
    You're welcome TWO. Will check out the post.
    that would be killer bro!
    hmm...

BWM

you run linux/unix right? freeBSD if i recall correctly?

is that easy to install and configure? i need linux on my server in the worst way...lol
    hmm...

BWM

you run linux/unix right? freeBSD if i recall correctly?

is that easy to install and configure? i need linux on my server in the worst way...lol
    I run a commercial version of BSD ported to iAPX86. It's not real friendly as to installation and configuration. Free BSD however should be much more so, but may still be short of Linux, which is more in line with the needs of those just getting started. I'd recommend sticking with linux, perhaps a different distro. Next best bet is FREE BSD, as there is a lot of help and forums etc on the www for it. It's a pretty large community out there.

http://www.freebsd.org/

Originally posted by BWM
    I run a commercial version of BSD ported to iAPX86. It's not real friendly as to installation and configuration. Free BSD however should be much more so, but may still be short of Linux, which is more in line with the needs of those just getting started. I'd recommend sticking with linux, perhaps a different distro. Next best bet is FREE BSD, as there is a lot of help and forums etc on the www for it. It's a pretty large community out there.

http://www.freebsd.org/
    thanks

im downloading RH9 right now...seems like alot of users use that one as well...
    hmm...

im downloading RH9 right now...seems like alot of users use that one as well...
    You bet they do. No one distro is right for everyone, but RH is very very popular.

Originally posted by BWM
    You bet they do. No one distro is right for everyone, but RH is very very popular.
    well..im hoping it is the right one for me. im in the process of installing it now.
    hmm...

Wooot!!!!! I get to open today. That means free drinks for me!!!!!

Oh wait, I always get free drinks.......................doh!

How was everyone's weekend????

Morning everyone.

How'd the RH installation go, wise?

Nuke, cool subliminal suggestion in your sig.....

Evenin' y'all!

Today was a good day. Work was fun, got paid, and traffic was a breeze. Hope the rest of the week follows suit.

Evening {T}. You always have a good day! I'm glad at least some of it rubs off on others.