Onboard raid versus PCI raid

I have searched the forums and the net to try and confirm what a couple friends said the other day.
    They say that a PCI raid controller card would be a faster overall solution in the PC compared to the onboard Raid setups.

ANYONE have any information on this or know of any sites that have tested this.

THANKS for any insight!!

Re: Onboard raid versus PCI raid

Originally posted by -=The Saint=-
    I have searched the forums and the net to try and confirm what a couple friends said the other day.
    They say that a PCI raid controller card would be a faster overall solution in the PC compared to the onboard Raid setups.

ANYONE have any information on this or know of any sites that have tested this.

THANKS for any insight!!
    i would say that pci card raid is faster. it uses alot less cpu time than onboard, thus freeing up resources. i run the promise fasttrack tx2000 with 66mhz bus spped and it flies. it is alot less stressful on the cpu and it allows the cpu to focus on other things.
    hmm...

I'd take the external, but it's also a LOT more expensive.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

The hippest place in the Universe (as voted by the readers of PlayBeing).... my left cranium
    But you also don't have to buy a new one when you upgrade your mobo. It could last a couple of upgrades that way & eventually you save money

My rigs My Games

Join the Fragging Frogs and get your own back on flamers, thread stealers and the mods.
    So you think you know where your towel is?

j1mb0b has a good point. If you really want raid, get a pci raid card. It costs you more money up front, but may last you through several mobos. It also gives you more raid options (ie beyond raid 0 or 1), depending on the model.

The downside is there are a lot of cheap good mobos out there with decent raid, depending on what you need. ie the ak35gtr, it is like $130 CDN. Pretty cheap with good raid, onboard sound.

It all depends on what ya need, and how much you can spend.