Smile

Hey all, well i would think these are very common questions for ppl setting up a new athlon system. In fact I'd like to know the answer to these right now...if anyone has any links please post. But I think it's still a good idea to get some more FAQ's up on the site (it's been a while since there's been a new one )

1) How do you remove the plastic casing on an athlon?

2) How do you properly place a heatsink/fan combo on an athlon (do i need to remove the case for this)?

3) How do you find out the serial #,etc of your athlon chip?

Cool

4) Where/how do you place the optional temp. sensor on the Athlon?
    5) What are the guidelines for voltage/processor speed settings?
    6) How can I tell if I have an authentic Athlon Processor?

Baf,
    Hope these help!
    1) How do you remove the plastic casing on an athlon? http://thetechzone.com/articles/how_...val/index.html

2) How do you properly place a heatsink/fan combo on an athlon (do i need to remove the case for this)?

Someone else will have to explain this one. Although you shouldn't have to remove the Athlon case to install the heatsink/fan, unless you are overclocking your Athlon. What type motherboard do you have?

3) How do you find out the serial #,etc of your athlon chip?
    http://anthouse.co.uk/k7core/Sn.html
    http://anthouse.co.uk/k7core/FAQ.html

detected2,

4) Where/how do you place the optional temp. sensor on the Athlon?
    Try this message thread over in the Asus mobo forum:
    http://www.athlonmb.com/ubbhtml/Forum8/HTML/000056.html

The last message, posted by memo on 06-05-2000 at 08:51 PM, has a link to a site where you can purchase the sensor. (Only $9)

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Christop54 (edited 06-08-2000).]

How about...

7)What are the steps to O/C an Athlon with a GFD.

You know basic things like, How to get started, what settings to adjust first Multiplier or Bus speed, what voltage to use, do you also adjust the motherboard FSB, how do I change the cache setting and list goes on.....

------------------
    Got Milk???

[This message has been edited by Oreo (edited 06-09-2000).]

Wink

Chris......I think we know the answers...and we were making suggestions for questions for newbies in search of info

actually I don't know the answers to the questions I posted But I'd also like to see what other ppl think would be good for a faq...keep posting suggestions

Thanks Chris for the links....I have my system up and running stably, and probably oc'ed as far as it can go. But my brother is thinking about upgrading to a new computer, and is seriously considering getting a 550 or 750 athlon and overclocking it. We would need to know some of those things.

I've come to this site almost daily for the past 2 months trying to get my athlon board up and running. I think this is a great place to get info on the athlons (and the specific mobos too), as opposed to having to weed through some of the other boards. Adding some more FAQ's will certainly increase the utility of the site.

Angry

detected2,
    Well excuse the HELL out of me for trying to help!!!! After posting my last message I came upon a few of your posts and realized that you seemed like you knew the answers to your questions. DO YOU REALIZE THAT NOT EVERYONE THAT POSTS HERE KNOWS THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTIONS THAT THEY POST?!?!?! I admit that my computer knowledge is limited, but if my help isn't welcome then I am out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are welcome BaF, I am glad if I was of any help......detected2............

BaF-

I don't think the case removal method found at TheTechZone is the best way to do it. The one I use, given below, is much easier, faster, and less prone to error - but that's just my opinion, formed after having opened four of them:

http://www.athlonmb.com/ubbhtml/Forum4/HTML/000034.html

I guess, too, that it can be a matter of personal preference.

[This message has been edited by ter (edited 06-09-2000).]

Red face

christop54...........oops
    My apologies!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the needed kick in the ass!! (red faced)

detected2,
    Sorry 'bout my last post, I got a little upset and let it get the best of me. But as you can see from BaF's original post he did want answers to his questions. Take care!

[This message has been edited by Christop54 (edited 06-10-2000).]

Wink

As a new person to the Athlon scene, I would like to see a FAQ on exactly how to set up windows correctly on an Athlon system. I mean I struggled thru it OK with very little to go on. I think that if there were a simple guideline such as A: FDisk, B: Format C: /S, C: install windows, D: install vid drivers.... ya get the picture. Anyhow, if someone knows, please post that.

Morphius

I too would like to see something like that -- an FAQ. I'd like to learn MORE about overclocking the Athlon, besides upping my FSB setting. I've been lurking around for awhile now, but I'd like to jump into some serious overclocking...

Many of the ideas in here are currently being implemented. This kind of knowledge summing could take a bit, and all the help we can get the better.

I'll be looking in this thread for questions to base FAQs on, then finding the answers that I, and dieu and spud, don't know.

Look forward to it!

------------------
    -Ryan Shrout
    -Production Manager
    -rshrout@athlonmb.com

Wink

Ryan,
    Sounds like a great idea.........

coolio Ryan
    I'd volunteer to help with a FAQ but I'm starting a new job in 3 weeks, and moving in 1

But if you could use the help lemme know and I can try to contribute once I'm settled in...