Does anyone have any recommendations for a good all-purpose video card for an Athlon system? I currently have a Mystique G200, and I'm planning on dumping it due to problems I've had with it giving me a garbage screen after cold boot-ups. I am not a gamer, so excellent 2D performance is very important to me. I've had a long history of problems with my Matrox card, so I want a video card with a great track record with Athlon systems. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Daryl

Daryl,

This may not be exactly what you wanted to hear, but I've put G400s in four Athlon systems and they all work great!! For what you're talking about, I would definitely recommend one.

John

------------------
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

There have been Athlon users who have experienced the same problem with the G400 as I have, with my G200, so I definitely would not want to give any consideration to another Matrox card. Besides, their technical support is awful.

Daryl

Consider the V5 5500 PCI video card. It has excellent 2d and 3d performance. This will eliminate the AGP "issues" associated with the GeForce and AMD-VIA chipsets. Plus, it's proprietary transfers are superior to AGP.

[This message has been edited by dieu (edited 06-14-2000).]

Like Dieu said, just get a PCI video card with at least 16MB of ram.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'd rather get an AGP card rather than have my AGP slot go to waste....

Daryl

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarylO:
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I'd rather get an AGP card rather than have my AGP slot go to waste....

Daryl
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read this:

http://www.athlonmb.com/ubbhtml/Forum8/HTML/000201.html

Get an ATI Rage Fury AGP 32mb card it's real stable. It is not a hard core gamer card, but
    it's real stable.

If you get one and have Norton applications, make sure you turn them off before installing the card, or else your system will go haywire.

Lightbulb

For your needs, I'd stick with ATI. Their cards are great and the performance of the 128 is amazing - crisp, clean, and fast DVD playback, for example. Go check out what they have to offer
    http://www.atitech.com

Have fun!