Thread: ram question

My buddy has a Dell P200 from about 3 years ago. It has 32mb in 2 out of the 4 simm sockets. It also has a dimm slot. Can i put a 64MB dimm in without filling the last 2 simm slots? I know this is not athlon related

im sure you can, i have a couple ibm ppro 200's like so.

------------------
    spud@athlonmb.com

but you'll want to check the MB design. SIMMs are 5v, and DIMMs are 3.3v, and some of the MBs will allow 5v leaked to DIMM slots, which in turn will probably wear out your SDRAM.. I read this a few years ago when those MBs are quite popular...

well, I tried this and on post, the machine counts to 49some odd thousand K of ram, then comes up with a ram error. Checked the bios and tried everything I could think of. After removing the dimm, everything ok.

yep, its expected. btw, i checked and the two i have are 5V DIMMs. so, oh well.

------------------
    spud@athlonmb.com

Chris

If your trying to use the dimms and simms at the same time,(sdram and edo for example) chances are it will not work. There are timing issues between the two that usually can't be overcome. I have a newer mobo with both simm and dimm slots. While I can boot up with both types, it causes alot of memory errors. (I don't think there are sdram simms around)

If you want to use only the dimm, you may need a bios update.