Thread: Watery HDD

Watery HDD

I by mistake managed to get my hdd soaked in water when i was careless with a tube. It was off, and now when I turn it on it spins and powers up, but you can tell something is wrong and it takes about 2 minutes to stop spinning.
    I know it's really bad news but is their anything I can do now? Someone told me to open it up and oil it but I'm not sure about that.
    XP2400+
    Epox 8RDA+ rev 1.0 VDD, VDIMM modded
    256MB Kingston HyperX PC3500
    Abit Siluro ti4200 Vmem, GPU modded - pelt cooled.

Do not open your hard drive, unless you want to kill it for sure

Re: Watery HDD

Originally posted by bushboy15
    I by mistake managed to get my hdd soaked in water when i was careless with a tube. It was off, and now when I turn it on it spins and powers up, but you can tell something is wrong and it takes about 2 minutes to stop spinning.
    I know it's really bad news but is their anything I can do now? Someone told me to open it up and oil it but I'm not sure about that.
    ouch!

not good at all. i wish i had a better answer for you, but maybe try calling the manufacturer of the hard drive and see what they suggest. or perhaps visit a local computer store who has service techs on hand that may be able tot ell you something. other than that, im afraid you may be stuck replacing it.
    hmm...

Re: Watery HDD

Originally posted by bushboy15
    Just replace it. Depending on how long it was wet, water entering the case through the breather hole on the top cover causes wierd noises and messes up the normal spindown cycle, which in-turn causes the head stack to not park correctly.

Damn! A new HDD was the last thing I wanted to buy.
    XP2400+
    Epox 8RDA+ rev 1.0 VDD, VDIMM modded
    256MB Kingston HyperX PC3500
    Abit Siluro ti4200 Vmem, GPU modded - pelt cooled.

Bushboy:
    See if you can return it to the company that makes it for warranty replacement.
    MS EE.,MS Telecom Engineering Tech, MS Engineering Project Management