It's been awhile since I've used this link. The PII is pretty much the same thing. I'll look around for the actual Athlon site.
    http://www.hardocp.com/articles/cool...e_removal.html

And here it be
    http://www.thetechzone.com/articles/...val/index.html

BTW. I put mine back together when I found it was too loose in the slot. Just don't bend up the clips too much. I knida planned on preserving the parts anyway so i took the time not to break any.

[This message has been edited by Big Daddy (edited 05-29-2000).]

topic is question

Hi,

I've opened 5 of this things now (counting a PII as one). I find the following method the best.

First of all, DON'T use a huge screwdriver. If you do, you have to use a lot of force to wedge it between the plastic case and the heatsink plate which means you may lose control and scratch you PCB. I use a very small screwdriver with a fine edge which allows me to get in there with minimal pressure. Next, I don't use the "twist the screwdriver" method. I place the chip on a solid surface having a 90 degree angle, such as a table, with the short side containing the junction you're going to work first close to the edge, and with the heatplate up. Insert the screwdriver in between the plastic and the heatsink plate at one of the back junctions (opposite of the open end of the cartridge). Then simply push down on the screwdriver - a little past the horizontal point the junction should pop. This is why you need a surface with a 90 degree angle - so you can push the screwdriver down below the cartridge. Do the back junctions first. The last junction is always the hardest, so if it doesn't pop use this method, which sounds crazy but seems to work for me. Hold the entire unit in your least favored hand with the last junction toward your body, metal heatplate facing down. Then slowly pull the plastic cartridge upward toward your body with your other hand. It will snap off. Sounds nuts but I've done it twice without problem. There will almost certainly be some plastic left on the last post which you will have to cut off with wire cutters. Cut some strips of paper so that you can surround the post to protect the PCB. Use about four or five layers.

To remove the heatsink clips, I find that the best tool is a pair of wire cutters, the kind that come to a fine point - the finer, the better. Invert the wire cutters so that the "inside", or concave side, is facing up and the convex, or curved out side where the blades meet, is downward toward the PCB. Then, simply grab hold of one of the prongs that secure the clip to the post and bend it upward. Use the strips of paper placed around the post to protect your PCB. If nothing else, it will make you feel better! Anyway, that's how I do it.

Edit 6/16 - changed "heat plate down" to "heat plate up"

[This message has been edited by ter (edited 06-16-2000).]