Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: PC Home Theater

Re: PC Home Theater

Hey what happened to this thread? The last post is like 8 months ago? How're you all going with your HTPCs?

Anyhow heres a pretty cool looking case

http://www.gamedude.com.au/search_li...802a9eed8ee590

I'm still using mine, although mostly for watching DVDs, viewing pictures, and listening to .mp3's. Since I got an HDTV my TV habits have totally changed, and the fact that the only HDTV cards for PC will only work with over-the-air signals, has sort of lessened my enthusiasm to say the least.
    Gaming Rig
    Abit NF7-S
    Athlon XP 2500+ @ 200x11
    Thermalright SLK-800a with Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 @ 3900 r.p.m.
    1 gig Geil Golden Dragon PC3200
    Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers
    WD 80 gig "Special Edition"

Multimedia PC
    Asus A7N8X
    Athlon XP 2200+
    1 gig Samsung PC2700
    Powercolor GeForce 4 Ti4400
    Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    WD 40 gig "Special Edition"
    WD 160 gig "Special Edition"
    WD 200 gig "Special Edition"

Those smallish PC cases scare me. I would be afraid to push it because of heating in cramped spaces. I can't see those types of PC's lasting for very long, because you know newer CPU's and video cards are just going to keep pumping out more and more heat.

I use my PC for HT too, but I guess that's only because my TV is 10 feet away, not that big a deal hooking the two up. When I come to the point where my main TV and PC are in separate rooms, I will probably just get separate DVD and CD decks. Those things can do much more than any PC can. Plush, combined with a nice receiver(which I've mistakenly already gotten myself into...too much time), they can beat the pants off a HTPC. Far as I know, PC's don't have iLink or HDMI.
    Antec 1080 Fileserver with Antec Tru 430W PSU
    2400+ Mobile clocked at whatever's stable!
    Cooler Master Aero 7+
    ABIT NF7 rev 2.0
    1GB(2x512) Corsair Value Select PC3200
    MSI GeForce 5900XT
    1 60GB Hitachi Deskstar, ATA 100
    1 40GB IBM Deskstar, ATA 100
    DVD-Drive
    CD-RW drive
    SB Audigy

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyuu
    I haven't read the best things about snap shot. I like myHTPC, though it's a little tough to deal with... all in all it's good.

Here is a pic of new HTPC. I brought it into work tonight to get some work done on it.

Sweet case
    /me = jealous

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyuu
    I haven't read the best things about snap shot. I like myHTPC, though it's a little tough to deal with... all in all it's good.

Here is a pic of new HTPC. I brought it into work tonight to get some work done on it.

At first glance I thought that was a Sunfire amp. I was definately going to have to kill you if it had been...

------------------------------------------------

Ouch
    ------------------------------------------------

Resolved Re: PC Home Theater

I thought I would chime in on this thread (if that's ok)

My setup is a relatively older computer but I experience ABSOLUTELY no hiccups or bog-downs when using it-

I have everything in my signature but I'll do an explanation of why I chose each piece of hardware. Just keep in mind, this is what I did and I don't consider my choices to be the only options to go with for creating a Home Theater PC. Maybe you will like my ideas, maybe you won't. Nice thing about HTPC's it's limitless with OPTIONS!

1. Case- Antec Overture. It's quiet has ample space to put hard drives. it's kinda cool looking (KINDA) but there are definitely better cases out there. I probably would have went with UncleBob's case if I was to do it all over again.

2. Motherboard- Abit NF-7S (2.0) This motherboard is relatively inexpensive now, has nVidia's Sound Storm onboard, USB 2.0 and Firewire, Uses the nForce N/S bridge, and has 2 Serial ATA controllers. The whole motivation for this motherboard is the SoundStorm chip- S/PDIF output. One of the best onboard audio chips in my opinion.

3. AMD Athlon XP2800+ (An XP2500 would work just as well)

4. Lite-ON SK7551 wireless keyboard with pointing device. The Lite-On has a VERY nice sized I.R. receiver and the keyboard has a pointing device built in. I program the keyboard commands into my Sony RM-AV2500 and I can operate every piece of equipment with 1 REMOTE! (Doesn't sound like that big of a deal but it is)

5. Sony RM-AV2500 - It's a $150.00 remote that you can buy for $80.00 at NewEgg.com that is fully programmable, has lots of features and it's big. At first I didn't like the size of this remote but the more I used it, the more I liked it's size. This remote now even controls the lighting in my living room after installing I.R. dimmer switches in my house. Because the Lite-On keyboard works on I.R., I can program all the key-commands I need into it.

6. PNY Verto 6600GT AGP- That's right. It's *NOT* an ATI card. No, I do not think nVidia is better than ATI for 3d games and such, but for Home Theater PC's you are MUCH better off using nVidia. Trust me on this one- I'm a HUGE ATI fan and I *ONLY* use ATI video cards in my computers I build bu,t nVidia currently has the market on video-to-TV output. (The PNY is a little on the loud side but I'm looking for solutions on that)

7. Beyond TV- My choice of PVR software. You can record two shows at once, control the channels on your digital cable box or satellite, record TV shows remotely using an internet connection, smart-skip commercials, etc... Combine this with nVidia's DVD decoder software and you have a VERY nice playback picture quality.

8. Theater-Tek DVD- If you own an nVidia card and you don't own this software, ask yourself why.

9. Hauppauge PVR series capture cards- The only hardware encoding cards I like so far. ATI's Theater 550's are good but still don't hold the clarity of the Hauppauge...Sorry, Hauppauge has been doing this longer. Use ATI for your gaming rigs.

10. General Suggestions- only 1 DVD ROM is installed on this HTPC. I don't use this to browse the internet since there is NO anti-virus software running on this PC. No DVD burner since all shows are on a network drive and can be sent to other PC's for editing & burning.
    C:\Drive is partitioned- main partition used for programs. Second partition used for the recording buffer (60 Gigs - enough buffer for watching shows) which gets HEAVILY partitioned. Having it separate from your programs allows you to defrag the drive without comprimising your recorded shows.
    All recordings go to a 200GB hard drive labeled "M:\Shows" (M for Movies) Nothing but recordings go to this drive although, I put another file called "drivers" which contains all my program updates for the HTPC in case I ever have to perform a clean install on C:\

11. DVDIdle- removes copy protection from your DVD's allowing you to play at any resolution, allows you to skip over lame intros & warnings by going directly to the MENU, and saves your DVD drive by caching through RAM.

pictures can be seen here
    Last edited by DarrenDiego; 02-13-2005 at 03:12 PM. Reason: my grammar/spelling
    Darren E
    HTPC
    Athlon XP3000+ | 1GB PC3200 | Abit NF7-S 2.0 | 80GB Seagate | 200GB Seagate | Antec Overature Silent Case | PNY 6600GT DVI | Lite-On SK7551 IR Keyboard w/Pointing Device | Sony RM-AV2500 Remote | 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 | 2 DirecTV D10 | Hitachi 65S700 | Beyond TV 4.0
    Notebook
    Sager 4750- AMD64 3200 | 80GB HDD | 17"WSXGA | 1GB Ram
    A/V Authoring
    Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Lite-On DVD | Antec 900 Case | Delta 66 Audio Card | Intel E6600 | 2 GB G-Skill RAM | eVGA 8800GTS 320MB | Seagate 500/500/400 GB HDD | ViewSonic 20" Q20wb

Is there anyway to get dolby digital out of a digital cable box for a pc ?
    Last edited by ivenholt; 02-15-2005 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivenholt
    Is there anyway to get dolby digital out of a digital cable box for a pc ?
    Hardware dependent- if your PC sound card has Dolby 5.1, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic capability, then I would assume you can get surround out of your box.

If your cable receiver supports it AND the original source material is encoded AND the provider (ESPN, HBO, etc) sends along that encoding in their signal.

Sometimes you will see the program material advertising DOLBY but that doesn't mean that 100% of the time you are going to receive it.

Majority of shows coming out of your cable/satellite box are just stereo but I'm sure that's not for long. If your PC has a way to receive all audio outputs from your cable box and output the signal through optical (S/PDIF) to a nice receiver...That would be the best thing you can do.
    Darren E
    HTPC
    Athlon XP3000+ | 1GB PC3200 | Abit NF7-S 2.0 | 80GB Seagate | 200GB Seagate | Antec Overature Silent Case | PNY 6600GT DVI | Lite-On SK7551 IR Keyboard w/Pointing Device | Sony RM-AV2500 Remote | 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 | 2 DirecTV D10 | Hitachi 65S700 | Beyond TV 4.0
    Notebook
    Sager 4750- AMD64 3200 | 80GB HDD | 17"WSXGA | 1GB Ram
    A/V Authoring
    Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Lite-On DVD | Antec 900 Case | Delta 66 Audio Card | Intel E6600 | 2 GB G-Skill RAM | eVGA 8800GTS 320MB | Seagate 500/500/400 GB HDD | ViewSonic 20" Q20wb