Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Age
    47
    Posts
    139

    Angry ATI's lack of stereoscopic support

    I mock them because they refuse to make stereo drivers for their cards. If you want to play your games in true stereoscopic 3D, then there is only one real solution...buy a GeForce and use the Detonators.

    Sorry, this was meant to be a reply to an existing thread, but I guess it can stand on it's own.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 08-15-2002 at 10:51 AM.

  2. #2
    Joined
    Apr 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,503
    Oy, here we go again...

    Yes, ATI still needs to iron out some problems with their drivers but the argument that ATI drivers = complete and utter rubbish is just old hat. It is like an ATI user saying that the GeForce line of cards has terrible image quality... it may have been true in the past but it has improved greatly with each release... it can't rival Matrox's image quality but it is still pretty darn good. ATI drivers can't rival the Detonators just yet but it is getting there

  3. #3
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    783
    B***s**t you f***ing...

    aww... nothing for me to flame . Points agreed...

  4. #4
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,478
    3d Glasses give me headaches and migraines... better off without it..

    and i see no difference between 3d glasses and no glasses... it just looks crappier with the glasses..


    (trust me... i had a Asus v7700 geforce2 GTS Deluxe,, came with the glasses...) I THINK THEY SUCK!

  5. #5
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,837
    Originally posted by Kilroy1231
    Oy, here we go again...

    Yes, ATI still needs to iron out some problems with their drivers but the argument that ATI drivers = complete and utter rubbish is just old hat. It is like an ATI user saying that the GeForce line of cards has terrible image quality... it may have been true in the past but it has improved greatly with each release... it can't rival Matrox's image quality but it is still pretty darn good. ATI drivers can't rival the Detonators just yet but it is getting there
    Hey guys... please read Epitome's post carefully. He wasn't complaining about ATI drivers in general. He was venting about the lack of stereoscopic support (i.e. for 3D glasses).

    Otherwise we're making flames when there's nothing to flame in the first place.

    - Jerky.
    Mobile Editor - PC Perspective
    Follow me on Twitter

  6. #6
    Joined
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    792
    Yea that would be a cool thing for ATI to implement. I have the Elsa 3d glasses and they are really cool for some games, mainly racing games. FPS games never seem right... the aim is always way off when using 3d glasses. The problem is you have to have a monitor that can display with very high refresh rates so your eyes dont explode. I wrecked a monitor by setting the refresh rate too high when using the glasses... havent used them since .
    Compaq Presario ML-34
    1.8G AMD Turion64
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
    512Megs RAM

    Gaming as I go...

  7. #7
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,889

    Talking Re: ATI, I mock thee.

    Originally posted by epitome
    I mock them because they refuse to make stereo drivers for their cards. If you want to play your games in true stereoscopic 3D, then there is only one real solution...buy a GeForce and use the Detonators.

    Sorry, this was meant to be a reply to an existing thread, but I guess it can stand on it's own.

    Last I knew Ati didnt make sound cards????Hehe,,,just kidding,, but who uses 3D glasses Anyways,,, honestly,, or did you use the ones you got from the movies? Trust me if the vast percent of the gaming community used these glasses ATI would have better support for them,, but why waste their time. Nvidia pays more attention to it,,because they use that technology in their X-BOX.

    And Nvidia could learn a thing or two from the Catalyst drivers,,I own 3 Nvidia cards and 1 ATi,,, Ati drivers are far better than anything I have seen coming from Nvidia in the last 6 months.

    And let me ask you this,, WHEN,,was the last time you saw NVIDIA rewrite their WHOLE driver script??

    They havent since the making of the Denonator Drivers and you know what,, those are years old,,, I hope with the release of the new NV30 they come out with some new drivers that can give YOU(the user) more options than what the Denonator Drivers do right now,,,, but hey what do I know.

    Peace and dont get me wrong guys their are also things that ATI can learn from NVIDIA,, like how to keep their mouths shut until the release of the product. Nvidia does that so well,,and it is a major reason of their success. Dont give away all your secrets,, smart,,very smart.

    Later guys and Peace!
    Last edited by RADEON8500; 08-14-2002 at 01:34 PM.

  8. #8
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Age
    47
    Posts
    139
    Thank you Jerkey. Yes, I should have clarified that I am not busting ATI cards, I owned both at one point or another, and have no problems with either companies products.

    In regards to the post about 3D glasses giving you headaches, I should have explained that I'm not even using "shutter glasses". I own a pair of i-glasses svga 3D. Think of them as a lite weight VR helmet with an LCD for each eye. Since you are dealing with essentially 2 screens, there is no need for blanking alternate eyes and hence - no headaches. The down fall of using these glasses - best resolution is at 800x600, but the 3D is awesome!

  9. #9
    Joined
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    792

    Re: Re: ATI, I mock thee.

    Originally posted by RADEON8500


    Can you please explain your situation in futher detail,,,either I am ignorant or I just cant grasp your problem.

    Last I knew Ati didnt make sound cards????
    Stereoscopic 3d is not sound... it is a way to have true 3d displays on your monitor. Usually you hook up a pair of 3d glasses which works with your video card and monitor. Basically a left image is displayed on the monitor and the glasses sync with the monitor to block the right eye. Then the right image is displayed and the glasses switch eyes.. because it happens so fast it creates the illusion of 3d. It is really cool.. just hell on the eyes.

    BTW.. Nvidia did not produce stereoscopic drivers until last year... the drivers were produced by the manufacturer. Blaming ATI for not having support yet isnt really fair. They have been working on producing good video card drivers, which they are succeeding at. Give them a break, they may support stereoscopic in the future, but I think its more important for them to concentrate on video drivers.. especially since people still think that ATI has driver problems.
    Last edited by SpineOfGod; 08-14-2002 at 01:37 PM.
    Compaq Presario ML-34
    1.8G AMD Turion64
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
    512Megs RAM

    Gaming as I go...

  10. #10
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Re: Re: ATI, I mock thee.

    Originally posted by SpineOfGod


    Stereoscopic 3d is not sound... it is a way to have true 3d displays on your monitor. Usually you hook up a pair of 3d glasses which works with your video card and monitor. Basically a left image is displayed on the monitor and the glasses sync with the monitor to block the right eye. Then the right image is displayed and the glasses switch eyes.. because it happens so fast it creates the illusion of 3d. It is really cool.. just hell on the eyes.

    I know I was being smart,,,if you see I deleted that,, sorry bud,,, wasnt trying to get you going.


    Also I have never seen that in action ,,but it does sound cool,,, hopefully I will get a chance to check it out someday.

    Later!

  11. #11
    Joined
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    792

    Re: Re: Re: Re: ATI, I mock thee.

    Originally posted by RADEON8500



    I know I was being smart,,,if you see I deleted that,, sorry bud,,, wasnt trying to get you going.


    Also I have never seen that in action ,,but it does sound cool,,, hopefully I will get a chance to check it out someday.

    Later!
    just making sure lol...
    Compaq Presario ML-34
    1.8G AMD Turion64
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
    512Megs RAM

    Gaming as I go...

  12. #12
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,478
    ok.. if the 3d glasses were a lot better than what they got now.. i might even think about getting some... but i'm not gonna spend 100-200 bucks for a brain tumor

  13. #13
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    2,160
    I hope those glasses are damn good considering you paid $1600 for them!!
    "To oppose corruption in government is the highest obligation of patriotism." -- G. Edward Griffin

    HEAT

  14. #14
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,478
    Originally posted by thoth
    I hope those glasses are damn good considering you paid $1600 for them!!
    holy crap!! 1600? i could make a whole system... i really dont' care for 3d.... bah, 1600??!!! you crazy?

  15. #15
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,837
    epitome...

    Why do you own a pair of $1600 VR glasses? Do I even want to know?

    But since none of us actually own a good pair of 3D glasses... how well does it perform in FPS games? Do you use them for CAD or 3D rendering? Does it help?

    Seeing how you spent so much on these glasses, no wonder you're disappointed that ATI doesn't have stereoscopic support. I guess you're pretty much limited to using NVidia if you want to use this investment.

    - Jerky.
    Mobile Editor - PC Perspective
    Follow me on Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •