Unhappy

When i start my computer, that has run just fine for a couple of month, it won't get past Searching for bootrecord on EDI-0: OK
    It stop's saying nothing , just some repeating sounds from the HD, Same thing when i try booting from floppy.
    Anyone got an idea?

Help!

Is your Athlon OC? Did you change the Core Voltage? The Jumpers for Voltage aren`t very good and they have sometimes no contact.

It was OC'ed but when it wouldn't boot i changed all things in BIOS that i could find, that had anything to do with stability. (100 bus, disable fast boot e.t.c.)
    I haven't start fiddling with the hardware yet since i have not moved or done anything to it when it suddenly wouldn't start... arrgh!

did you go into the BIOS and choose "optimal settings" ?

No i "manually" set settings that was more stable.
    It's weird becouse i haven't changed any bios settings in a few month, so the problem resaly just apeared from nowhere.
    I was thinking if my son (3years old) could have pressed the power buttons several times or something cause he can't reach the keybord or the mouse. But that would not show this strange behavior.
    It's frustrating as you can't even boot from a floppy.

is it even posting?

That happened to me when I tried to change my scsi adapter from a 10ms adaptec 2940 to a 20ms 2930. I suspect it's a powersupply problem. I tried changing voltages with the jumpers but I had to put the old card back in. Check your voltages in bios against those listed in your manual.

That sound exactly like what the Chernobyl virus did to a mate's computer. One day (I think April 26 ish - whenever the anniversary of Chernobyl is) it just refused to get past Boot record search. As it turned out, it had replaced his usual dos partition with 4 garbage ones. Try using a boot disk (Windows startup disk is ideal), and run fdisk. If it says that there are four partitions, then it's Chernobyl or some copycat that's screwed your system. I hope it's not this though.

Oh, to boot from floppy, you will have to make sure that the bios searches for the floppy drive first, not the harddrive, as in my mates case, it just got hung on the hardrive boot search. You can set this in the bios though.

It was worse then i thought, when i put my quantum fireball 27gb HD and put it as slave in a freinds computer it wouldn't boot to win98 ther either, so we booted to dos and tried to "dir" it, and his computer frooze with still some repeating sounds from the HD. It's a half year old and working fine the night before and in the morning after was totaly screwd, now that's anoying. So i'l try to get it repaired.
    Since i haven't done antyhing special with my computer for a couple off month it makes me wonder what could f**k up a hd like that?

Thanks everybody that tried to help me.