Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

- I'm running the 1008 bios
    - It has: 64MB PC-100 SDRAM (used to be 128 but 1 stick turned out to be bad)
    Creative tnt2 (model 64)
    K7M mainboard with revision C stepping 4 (or the other way around (revision 4 stepping c), can't remember really)
    athlon500@650 (the processor is not the problem (tested it with the other cpu and it worked fine and this system gave the same problem with the other cpu in it)
    Soundblaster PCI128
    and 2 ethernet adapters (one for the lan-internet connection and 1 for the lan to the other system)

Angry

Well here I am again.
    I have 2 identical athlon systems, one works fine but the other doesn't. Is constantly freezes afer a few minuten of playing a game. It's not the power supply (switched them, same problem) not the ram (switched them two, same problem) and I have also tried different dimm slots for my memory but that didn't work either. Any suggestions??

------------------
    Just remember:

I am the ONLY Holy Jampot

could you be more specific with your system setup?

- What drivers and BIOS are you running?
    - What hardware do you have (specifically video card)
    - What revision and stepping are both boards?(find this out using chipid.exe)

well, hmmm..

are both the Motherboards the same?
    are they both revision c stepping 4 ?

yep, both the same mainboard with same revision/stepping

------------------
    Just remember:

well, if both systems are exactly the same then keep switching out devices from one to another (I know it is tedious) until you narrow it down to the single piece of hardware...

are you sure you didn't configure the operating systems (drivers and what not) differently..

It just seems odd that they are exactly the same and one freezes and the other one doesn't... that would bring me to the conclusion that one of the pieces of hardware are bad (which is why I would keep switching out hardware until you figure out which one)

I agree with sonny. Figure it's whatever is different between them (it this obvious?). I have had some problems with cooling to the power supply. I also had initially some problems with the contact between the processor and its socket. You might try to verify that. Add some heatsinks to the voltage regs behind the processor and to the via chip near the PCI slots and maybe a fan to the power supply if you think the problem is up this alley... GL

------------------

Bico

--Welcome to "The Lunatic Fringe"--

Well, the problem is you can't tell when the system is gonna freeze. It could be after a few minutes or a few hours. So switching every single hardware device will take veeerrryyy long, but I guess i don't have a choice.

------------------
    Just remember:

You might try starting from scratch again with the one giving trouble. Remove the bios battery, remove and reinstall the cards (try not to use a shared slot), reconnect the drives (no bent pins or loose connectors), check that there isn't any lint in the memory connector (I know, I know), ck to see if the machine seems hot anywhere or if any of the system monitoring can tell you any clues like voltage fluctuations, temperatures etc. Do you have a fan in backwards, (fishing here...) is the computer near any sources of extreme EMI? Ummm... er... next to a particle accelerator... bad mouse? I've had Ps2 mice die on me. That's about all I can think of... The 2 NIC's could be a problem. Start with nothing in it but the HD and the video card and add stuff if it stays stable. Try swapping the hard drive from the other machine and see if it's a winblows problem. I hear ya, this is a tough on to figure out, but you can do it. Hang in there.

------------------

Bico

--Welcome to "The Lunatic Fringe"--

tnx for the tips
    I'll keep trying.
    btw I have restarted installing the system for 3 times now so I'm sure it's not a software problem. And just for the record, i've been working on this system for almost 5 months!!
    The system is not at my house, and I usually come there once a week so I can only change 1 thing a week and hear the affect a week later and change something else. So this could take a while.

------------------
    Just remember:

If someone else has an other suggestion I sure like to hear it!

------------------
    Just remember:

im having the same exact problem with my k7v, everything seemed to work ok till i formatted about a week ago, now i get random lockups within the gui and when im gaming.. altho one thing i have noticed is that my 2 month old WD Expert 20gig ide drive is getting REALLY hot, and while im playing UT, i'll hear a :click click: then a spinning up noise, then the puter usually locks up.. quite strange really, had the same problem with a quantum drive that it was replaced with on my old k7m.. has anyone out there experienced anything similar to this? i dont use the agp or the acpi drivers, cause they cause even more problems.. just have the irq routing and via ide drivers installed. all my pci cards are in non-shared slots, and i have an agp vid card:
    via kx133 mobo
    v3 3000agp
    diamond mx300 sound card
    3com homeconnect nic
    1 WD Expert 20gig
    1 WD Caviar 10gig

now id want to think it was the hdd thats bad, but its brand new, and the lockups never happened till after i formatted. anyone have any ideas?

[This message has been edited by echo9 (edited 05-14-2000).]

Question

echo9: Did you turn on the power saving mode
    to shut down the HD after xx minutes of inactivity?

nope, i have power saving disabled in the bios, and have 'turn off hdd' set to never in windows.. i also flashed to the new 1.005 bios and made sure i had the newest bus mastering drivers installed. man this is really odd, only thing i can think of is i have some really nasty luck with hdd's, but 2 in a row, and with this one being so new its hard to grasp it =/.. anyone have any ideas?

Jampot: If both of your systems are identical, what happens when you swap HDs? You should be able to boot identically from either HD. This might help to determine if it's hardware related or Windoze related.

------------------
    What's the frequency, Kenneth?