try removing the power cord and the bios backup battery. Leave the battery out for about 5 minutes. Reinstall and try to reboot. If you can get in to the bios, select the optimal settings from the exit page. Reboot and see where you are. If you find out that you can not get into the bios and that you are stuck, email me (click on the button above this post) and I can send you a new bios IC with 1008 on it. 1008 is what I am using and it seems quite stable.

------------------

Bico

--Welcome to "The Lunatic Fringe"--

I'll work with you on this when I get home this evening!

Exclamation

I've got some serious problems after installing the new (1009) bios. I apologize in advance if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything previously posted. First, my system:

Athlon 650 (not o/c'ed) with a K7M rev 1.04
    128 MB 133Mhz SDRAM
    30 GB UDMA Maxtor HDD
    32x CD-ROM drive (IDE)
    Asus 6600 Pure SGRAM video

After I flashed to the new bios, I got a multitude of problems. First, sometimes my CD-ROM drive is not recognized. On bootup, I get an error stating that it is "ATAPI incompatible". This does not always happen, sometimes the systems comes up fine. I have the HDD as the Primary IDE master, and the CD-ROM as the Secondary IDE master.
    Also, I cannot always do a soft reboot. Occaisonally, when I would do a Ctrl-Alt_Del or Restart, the system would shut down but not restart. It would just sit there with the power on and no display. I would have to manually turn off the system and power it back on. On reboot, though, I would still get no response. Again, the system would just sit there with power, but no activity. After much fiddling, I discovered that if I disconnected my HDD and booted, I'd come up fine. Then, I'd have to power down again, plug the HDD back in and I'd be able to run. Very strange, to say the least.
    In addition, I can no longer program my SDRAM with the SPD. I had this setting with the old bios (the one that came with the shipping board), but now when I select SPD enable, disabled remains selected. And yes, the memory has the SPD chip.

Now for the fun part. After even more fiddling, I decided to try the fail-safe settings, just to see if that would help anything. After being forced to do a hard power cycle (the system didn't come up after saving the bios settings), I still got no activity. I tried disconnecting the HDD (what worked before) to no avail. I disconnected the CD-ROM; still no activity. I disconnected the floppy; still nothing. Took out the memory and I got the expected beeping, but nothing on the display. Tried a different video card (old ISA thing); still nothing with or without memory. So, it seemed my system has completely died. I took the bios chip to an electronics store and had them flash the old (original, don't remember the version) bios back on. Still got the same response, i.e. nothing. So, the net result is I've got a completely dead system and no way (that I know of) to breathe some life into it.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? Any similar experiences? I had been running fine with my old bios; I had none of these problems. I'm nearing the end of my wits and don't want to waste more cash on a new motherboard. ASUS tech support was worthless, as was their netq forum.

Thanks in advance,
    -Dave

[This message has been edited by dgreenb (edited 05-16-2000).]

Lightbulb

I just recovered from almost exactly the same problem after a recent change to the 1009 bios. I had an HPT 366 board installed and took it out. I disconnected the primary master hard drive from the MB and set a second HDD (with no boot record) as primary master. For what ever reason, the bios screen appeared and I very carefully checked every option setting defaults as specified in the MB manual. After saving bios, of course the machine did not boot. But I reconnected the UDMA HDD as primary master on the MB IDE port, CD-R/W as secondary master, Zip as secondary slave, 2nd HDD as master on IDE card with CD-R as slave on the same port. Card is in slot 4. Everything seems to work....

I was getting some blue screens though and primary and secondary HDC incompatibilites with both the latest VIA BM IDE driver as well as the Oct 99 iteration. Using the Win98SE supplied drivers at least is stable.

I think a lot of stability problems are a result of all the different drivers that Athlon users think they need. I know I am confused. Do we need the VIA PCI IRQ miniport routing driver? Install when? What about the AMD miniport driver? The 4 in 1 that VIA puts out like every week - how effectively does it discriminate the system it installs to? Enable DMA or not?

I am running again, but I am not sure of everything I did. Desparation begets inspiration!

Exclamation

Thanks much to all who replied!! I've got a minor update after doing a little work last night. I tried popping the CMOS battery out with the power cord unplugged (and shorted the proper solder pins), then rebooted. Got nothing. On a whim, I plugged in the ISA video card again and got some response. I got a "CMOS settings invalid" error, or something like that. I went into the setup, turned on only my floppy and rebooted. Had to do the hard power cycle again. Came up fine. Powered down and plugged in my HDD (CD-rom still unplugged), rebooted, set up the HDD in the bios. Rebooted again, came up fine (booted from floppy to avoid going into Windows). Rebooted again, just for kicks, and I was dead. Unplugged my HDD, rebooted, and got the CMOS settings invalid error again. Could I have a bad flash chip, or bad CMOS (wherever the settings are physically held...)? I went to my local electronics shop, but they had no compatible flash chips.

bico959, how much do you want for that IC w/1008?

Thanks all!

I've been charging for shipping only. I figure that 10 bucks should cover shipping to where you are (where are you?). Were you able to get into the bios settings? If you can, select Optimal Settings in the exit page and try to reboot. If you get totally fed up, email me your address using the link above this post, and I can get one out to you this week (I have 4 left!). Cover extra cost and I can send fedex overnight even. Just let me know.

------------------

Bico

--Welcome to "The Lunatic Fringe"--

[This message has been edited by bico959 (edited 05-17-2000).]