Question

Hello,

Is anyone out there using an Athlon 500 on a K7M with BIOS 1009 successfully? (mine won't work, but I may have damaged it taking off the case).

Thanks!

what do you mean it won't work?

Does it not even turn on?

I've got that setup. I've never had any trouble with, even when I Oc'd it.

I've got that setup. I've never had any trouble with, even when I Oc'd it.

I have the K7M and a 500mhz Athlon with BIOS km1009. No problem here

Unhappy

Same probs here. System would post, cycle, start to load Windows splash screen, churn the HDD a few seconds then completely power down the system!

Still have the 1009 bios installed and am back running. DON'T install VIA supplied PCI IDE BM drivers. I think that causes the problem. Just stick with the Windows version and it will work.

BTW - Got the system working by disconnecting the root HDD and using another HDD. BIOS showed and allowed me to double check all settings to default, re-attach my peripherals and back in business.

Talking

Interesting! Thanks!

Actually, before BIOS 1009 my 500 (650 core) would boot to DOS just fine but would not make it into Win98 - automatic registry restores, Windows protection errors, insufficent memory, and corrupt vmm32.vxd errors. When I put my other chip (550 w/750 core) back in it would boot up with no problem.

When I flashed to 1009, I thought I'd try the 500 again, but now all it does is immediately start reading the floppy - the floppy drive light goes on and off, and I can hear it reading the floppy - it never makes it to the POST. Interesting thing is that my BIOS is not even set to read the "A" drive.

I got both chips before I received my motherboard, so I never did use the 500 until recently when I found it wouldn't boot to Windows - then 1009 update and it won't even POST. I have handled it a lot since the time that it would boot to DOS only, so maybe I've damaged it.

I still have a feeling that it might boot on another board (K7Ms run great somtimes, but sometimes they are finicky - I've talked with several local dealers who will have nothing to do with them as, according to them, each board seems to behave differently and unpredictably.)

Guess I'll try the chip again when I get my new board (K7V or KA7), and if it still doesn't work then I'll have to conclude that I must have damaged it.

Thank you all for your responses.

Question

It's cool to know that some of you have the same set-up as ter and aren't having any problems, but how does it help with ter's situation?