Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How can I resize my WinXP NTFS partition?

I have a 100GB NTFS partition where I've installed WinXP and I want to shrink it down. What can do this? I know the most recommended partitioning tool is Partition Magic, but A) I don't want to pay $70 for this program since I won't use it very often, and B) I've read that PM may have problems resizing NTFS partitions that have Windows XP installed on them.

Anyone know of any other utility?

BTW I want to do this to make room for Mandrake 9.0, and I've already tried using DrakeX during the Mandrake setup to resize my NTFS partition. It will do it, but after you resize the partition Windows bluescreens and won't boot until you resize it back to its original size.

I was going to suggest Partition Magic. You can resize NTFS partitions with Windows XP on them, I've done it many times.

You could borrow a friends copy temporarily

yep, partition magic is what you will want. i borrowed it from a friend once to resize my partitions and it works great.

may i suggest you back up your data first. you never know when tragedy will strike.
    ...maeham
    ---------------------

you ask..."what's the purpose of life?"...
    "to screw, make babies, and if you can...get a boat" - (C) Mark Mendoza...my idiot friend

Well that's what I thought... it looks like Partition Magic is the only way to go. Unfortunately I don't have access to a copy of the software, so it looks like I'm just going to have to backup, reformat and reinstall.

just download the trial version

Originally posted by GetCool
    Well that's what I thought... it looks like Partition Magic is the only way to go. Unfortunately I don't have access to a copy of the software, so it looks like I'm just going to have to backup, reformat and reinstall.
    sheesh...that sounds like a lot of trouble!!!

what do you mean you dont have access to the software? you are posting in this forum...so obviously you have an internet connection. just download it.
    ...maeham
    ---------------------

"to screw, make babies, and if you can...get a boat" - (C) Mark Mendoza...my idiot friend

I don't think you realise that he may able to download the demo, but you can only use the features of the program and not apply the changes in the demo.

Talking

...so "borrow" a full working copy.

Moderator Edit: Please do not make reference to Warez or sources of Warez.
    Last edited by liberated_llama; 10-01-2002 at 01:52 AM.
    ...maeham
    ---------------------

Please refrain from posting about warez or I'll be forced to edit posts, and/or close the topic.

Yea, another Partition Magic nod here, partitioned my HDD's last week, it is a good utility. Including reading on how to do it. 20 minutes. The actual procedure takes only a couple minutes. Real easy to use. Hardly worth $70 though, if you only use it once.

You could download fips, you should be able to get it off download.com or search for it on google. Just be sure that you defrag your hd first, fips can then cut off a chunk near the end of your drive and repartition it. I've had moderate sucess with fips, most of the time I end up having to delete the partition it created and then re create it, but that is easy enough, It decreases the size of the main partition just fine. It doesn't have all the features the partition magic does, but its good if your in a jam.

Originally posted by nmayotte
    You could download fips, you should be able to get it off download.com or search for it on google. Just be sure that you defrag your hd first, fips can then cut off a chunk near the end of your drive and repartition it. I've had moderate sucess with fips, most of the time I end up having to delete the partition it created and then re create it, but that is easy enough, It decreases the size of the main partition just fine. It doesn't have all the features the partition magic does, but its good if your in a jam.
    This actually won't work for me. Fips is a DOS program, so it only works with FAT volumes. It won't work with NTFS. The reason is that NTFS stores much more volume information than FAT does, so a program that resizes an NTFS partition would have to make changes to the Master File Table.

If you just forcefully chop off the end of an NTFS volume (which is what I already tried with DrakeX), you'll end up with an incorrect volume size in the MFT and you'll have problems. I guess Partition Magic is the only tool that can do this correctly.

Members of users groups can buy Partion Magic for $35 and $5 shipping. Find a friend that is a member or join one.
    A7N8X Dlx with Barton XP 2500 @ 2.2Mhz
    512 Muskin 222 PC2100
    nVidia GeForce4 Ti4600 w/128MB
    Plextor PX-708A

A7V333 2.0 with Thorton 2K at 2Mhz
    1 GB no-name PC3200, slot 1 & slot 3
    ATI AIW 8500DV 64MB

Win2K Pro, SP4

The ultimate cooling guide thread

Originally posted by Renod
    Members of users groups can buy Partion Magic for $35 and $5 shipping. Find a friend that is a member or join one.
    What "users group" are you talking about?

Originally posted by GetCool
    What "users group" are you talking about?
    There are a number of users groups throughout the US. I happen to belong to one. If you Google your area I am sure you will find one. If you promise to join , then I am sure that PowerQuest won't mind you using the following:

"Since you have purchased from us in the past at the user group discount
    price, you can now purchase PartitionMagic v8 for only $35. The normal list
    price is $69.95 and the upgrade price is $49.95, so the user group price is
    the best you will find on this outstanding product. To order your copy,
    simply access our secure web order form at www.ugr.com/order and complete
    the form using the special code -- UGPM8ANN. We have product available to
    ship immediately and you should have your package in 2-3 days. Don't delay.
    Order now to get your copy of PartitionMagic v8."

Get'm while they are hot! They also have a User Grp special to get 4 of their products for $99.
    A7N8X Dlx with Barton XP 2500 @ 2.2Mhz
    512 Muskin 222 PC2100
    nVidia GeForce4 Ti4600 w/128MB
    Plextor PX-708A

A7V333 2.0 with Thorton 2K at 2Mhz
    1 GB no-name PC3200, slot 1 & slot 3
    ATI AIW 8500DV 64MB

Win2K Pro, SP4

The ultimate cooling guide thread