Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Originally posted by WindsorFox
    "And in conclusion, you're about the only "reviewer" to say the bass is mushy on the Z-560 set. Go read some reviews. Mushy, you have to be smoking crack man. Either way I don't like a distorted sub like the one on the Klipsch set. If you think distortion is accuracy, you shouldn't be reviewing speakers."

I read several. Maybe it's because I am the only one who reviewed them who works on the level that I do? My 4.1 Klipsch never "farts" or distorts because I get PLENTY of lowend response out of it without turning it up that high, the Z560's didn't either. The 560's are overly boomy, it's fine if you turn it down, but the sats still do not live up to the Klipsch and never will because they are not two way speakers.
    You know what, I haven't turned the knob on my sub up passed halfway on any recording with the Z-560 set. I have turned it down and played with my EQ and it sounds fine. It has plenty of low end is my point. You keep putting words in mouth trying to say that all i'm going for is volume when it's not. I like the bass to fill stuff out, that doesn't mean concert levels with **** falling off the wall. Either way, to each his own, but i'm not going to have somebody tell me the that the Z-560 has the most colored and mushy sound of any PC speaker set, that's insane and wrong.

i've been debating the logitech z-680 vs klipsch 5.1 system for a while now. i originally had the klipsch 2.1's and was very impressed with the clarity of the satellites but wanted more from the sub (it only had a single 6.5'' woofer). i tested out both the logitech z-680's and klipsch 5.1's at best buy and this is what i thought.

the 680's definitely have a louder/ more punchy bass that has a pronounced presence compared to the klipsch. this would be ideal for games and certain types of music - rap, techno, etc. on the other hand, the klipsch speakers are clearer than the logitechs. the high frequencies are crystal clear and the bass is more crisp and tight compared to the logitechs. this is probably due to the dual 8'' woofers on the klipsch compared to the single 8'' on the logitech. since i am using the speakers on my computer for watching movies and listening to music (live phish, beatles, classical), i don't want the punchy bass that is characteristic of contemporary music. the midrange on the klipsch speakers could be louder but that can easily be fixed through the eq. i also don't need any kind of decoding since my audigy and software can do all of that. i actually would prefer to have a separate decoder than to have one bundled on the speakers.

that said, the choice for me was the klipsch 5.1's. but for someone else who listens to different styles of music or wants the boomy bass for games, you might want the logitechs. the best way to decide would be to bring in a cd player with a cd (not mp3 sourced) and a male 1/8'' to male 1/8'' cable and plug it into the speakers at best buy or circuit city. listen to them and you decide. also, if you need the extra decoding features for a set top dvd player, playstation, xbox, etc. and are on a budget, you probably want the logitechs. i don't think price is really a factor since you are already spending a lot for either set and don't want to make any comprimises that might leave you wanting more. don't go around ripping on the klipsch decoder's price since i'm sure it is much higher quality than the logitech's bundled decoder. it's like punishing a mobo maker for not including ac97 onboard sound. not that logitech has a crappy decoder, but they don't really mention anything about its specs other than the decoding capabilities. klipsch's decoder sounds very high in quality if you read the specs. i wish logitech would publish something about their's.
    Last edited by Marv; 12-03-2002 at 02:54 PM.
    Primary PC:
    Gigabyte GA-8PE667PRO
    Intel P4 Northwood 1.8ghz@2.6ghz
    Alpha 8942 and Panaflo Fan
    Corsair XMS pc2700 256mb
    Gainward GS Geforce 4 4200 VIVO 310/570
    80gb Seagate 'Cuda IV
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2
    Antec 12 bay full tower
    431W Enermax PS
    Rheobus
    IBM P202 21'' Trinitron
    Windows XP

Good info/mini review. We appreciate it. JimZ

I haven't turned the knob on my sub on my Creative Cambridge Megaworks 510D past half way either. I'm not into techno, nor rap, so bass is kinda out. I like 80's rock, and some 70's, so bass wasn't a biggy back then.

However, some songs, a few from Metallica do have massive bass to them, and sound better with it turned up more. However, I don't mess with the knob, i just mess with the EQ.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Had the Klipsch v2-400 with a SB Live 5.1 and I did have some driver issues and would occasionally lose the rear channel and have to reboot. I added an Audigy and I was utterly amazed at the difference in sound. It also resolved the driver issue and I've never had any other conflicts with the drivers. I upgraded to the Klipsh 5.1 and an Audigy 2 and after I finally figured out where all the settings were for the Audigy I was rockin da house again.

I'll admit that Creative's extra software add-in's are about as useful as tits on a boar hawg, but if you pay attention at the install and hunt around for all the settings you can get rid of everything but the basics. Creative sucks when it comes to software, plain and simple.

It would take a lot to convince me to switch to any other speaker system because these speakers do one thing and thats kick some serious @ss ya'll. I'll admit that I'm pretty biased towards Klispch as I currently own 2 pairs of home stereo Klipsch and had one other pair of home speakers in the past.

As far as spending $400 on a set of these pup's, I'm willing to bet a big fat sack that there isn't any other pc speaker system that will give you this much tHUMP for the $$ Bling, bling ya'll, peace!
    Last edited by fRiEdfiSh; 12-05-2002 at 01:34 AM.
    Epox 8RDA+
    Athlon XP 2500
    Koolance PC2-601BW
    2 256MB Corsair 3500C2 XMS
    Sapphire 9700 Pro
    Maxtor 40GB ATA100
    Klipsch ProMedia 5.1
    WinXP Pro

Good info thanks. All these pieces help us make good decisions. I appreciate it bro. JimZ

This is what PC Gamer said about Z-680 speakers.

"As for sound quality, you're getting what you pay for. To get Dolby Digital out of a set of Klipsch's 500-watt, $399 ProMedia 5.1s (the reigning champ), you'll need to spend an extra $100 on a separate decoder. Logitech gives you 450 watts and digital decoding for that same $399 - a savings of $100 if you want digital. While subwoofer units are comparable, Klipsch's satellites produce richer, thicker sound and don't seem to "hiss" as much.

Do I notice these differences? Yes. Will your friends? Probably not. Given their versatility, the Z-680s kick alot of *** for the price."

Pc Gamer Rating: 86%
    eBay 206-0-0
    Heatware 65-0-0

sounds good. I would take the 680's over the klipsch's for the $100

Actually, I think the MediaSource player for Creative is pretty good, but I'd rather have a nice little EQ to go with it. Have to go into EAX to get an EQ, and they are a pain to edit.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W