Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quiet Time

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldFrog:
    OLDFrog's "corsed" was in fact "full-body wine" (I've more and more need to open my Harrap's dict ).

Gamay is not a bad idea. In same way, some Saumur (rec) should be fine.

About SETI, there are two tar files, I downloaded both. I run KDE too.
    I didn't try the static one. I ran the other one : xxxx.gnulibc.1. It has a setiatome prog you can run in console (which I did). At first connection, it asked for personal elements.

It's a KDE client, but to install it I need some more libs (That's the boring thing with Linux, you always need 99 cents more to make 1$ ! ).

Anyway, I enjoy it much (Nice big game).

To-day, I received my Windows 2000 Pro Disk. I wonder if I will continue tweaking and breaking Linux, or I will install W2K.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how did you install the .tar? When I click on it, it says I can't run it from where it is. I also got the ksetiwatch program downloaded. I give them both another try this afternoon. Gotta go to work for a while. (ain't retirement great )

I have win2000 Pro to load too. I have enough room on either drive to load it. Probably put it on with win98se (unstable son of a gun so only thing I lose is all my custom programs and stuff.

Later dude, thanks,

niki
    chatnoir

If you can't extract it in KDE, it's maybe because your standard install didn't install the prog.

You can try in console the prog tar.

If I remember :

$tar -xvf file dest

Be sure you are root anyway.

use $ man tar to get doc about it.

And let's go to some prayers to Linux god (F**d B****y S*n of a B***h, I'll get it working !!!! ).

Bad news, Kernel 2.*** is unable to auto manage USB periph. I'll have to wait to use my Photo printer and scanner.

[This message has been edited by OldFrog (edited 10-16-2000).]

It's the onboard USB.

The recognition of USB device is not done by Kernel 2.xxx (except mouse or keyboard) but some dists do make a search for known devices.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldFrog:
    It's the onboard USB.

The recognition of USB device is not done by Kernel 2.xxx (except mouse or keyboard) but some dists do make a search for known devices.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My onboard USB and my hub are recognized on bootup. Since I'm able to print, I know they are still available when I login to KDE.

BTW, I logged into GNOME and I LIKE IT A LOT !! Actually, graphically better than KDE

niki

No trouble for the USB by itself. It's only the system doesn't see my scanner nor my Epson printer. (Hmm, I didn't switch it on at startup !!!).

No trouble for the USB by itself. It's only the system doesn't see my scanner nor my Epson printer. (Hmm, I didn't switch it on at startup !!!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sound probable. I have a parallel printer and zip and scanner, daisy-chained and it only sees the printer which is the only device turned on.

niki

Hey, fairy huntress, did you succeed with Linux SETI ?

I reinstalled Linux again this morning, as I was not satisfied with my partitions. The whole thing is now on my 2nd disk.

I installed in "expert" mode and I got a tight butt when doing it !!
    Could upgrade XFree86 to 4.0 (Expert choice only ! ), but still missing the same lib in the RPM .

I will get a look on Xfree's site.

All this to avoid stupidities when installing W2K.

I'm not in such a hurry with scanner and color printer, for most things I do with them are OCR and photoshop, so goback to Zindoz (Azerty keyboard )

Hey, fairy huntress, did you succeed with Linux SETI ?

=======================================
    ahem not yet, been answering forum notes

I'm going to try again tonite. I have never had to install anything in UNIX before, so I'm kind of shooting in the dark on this one.
    If it was a .c/.h program, I could compile it and run. But this stuff ... oh, well ...

Did you use RPM to install it? Or the archiver? I didn't get anything requesting my name or affiliation or anything. I'm going to print the readme and study it tonite.

later,
    niki
    chatnoir
    lesucrechat

Hmm,

Flying blind, and in *nix? Those don't go together too well ( I should know, I installed it 4 times before figuring out what I was doing... now I got SETI, apache webserver ( with php and ssl installed ), all running...Just gotta setup the mail server, dns server, firewall, ftp server, and like 10 other things, and I'll be ready to start my business:P

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryan:
    This is the quietest I have seen the SETI forum since its inception.

DUCKs absence must really be affecting you guys, huh?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What did you mean by "quiet", Ryan .
    It seems old members needed a little pause (You know, old-timers, smoking their pipe, on the bench, spitting IN THE POND, DAM'IT... )