Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well OreoÖ..I must say WOW!! My average time before v3 was 10hr 53min 39.2sec. My first three results (in order) running v3: 8hr 59min 23.8sec, 7hr 54min 8.7sec, and 7hr 19min 26.3sec. Nice trend but the current unit is going to SUCK because itís 41.379% after 8hr 10min 25sec . Iíve had similar units before so no biggy, at least I hope. It appears that v3 is better than v2 and should go along way to meeting your goal of 10,000 units by 1/1/01. Have a great Seti rippiní/athlonmb.com day!!!! Oh and one more thing, I probably wonít be in the forums for a while do to a browser prob Iím having. (If you or anyone is knowledgeable about Winblows and Blue Screens of Death check out my post in the os forum )

[This message has been edited by Christop54 (edited 10-10-2000).]

Christop54

Have a look in your post about browser troubles.

About SetiSpy, it seems it has bad info about estimated time (its' not proportional with SET 3.0).
    For my first try of S 3.0, with Setispy 3.0, at startup, it gave me a 4h55 est., in the middle 8:35 and the wu was cranked in 6:45 !!!

Cool

There are also a small number of data units that require a lot more processing than the usual ones because of the high slew rate when the data was acquired. I've had about eight in the last three months (once had four in a row), and they seem to take almost exactly twice as long as usual.

M

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Meridian:
    There are also a small number of data units that require a lot more processing than the usual ones because of the high slew rate when the data was acquired. I've had about eight in the last three months (once had four in a row), and they seem to take almost exactly twice as long as usual.

M
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the one I referenced above was my second in the past month or so. But what seems odd to me is that they didn't seem to negativly affect my average CPU time.(Not that I'm complaining or anything )

The one I'm crunching now has a bunch of triples for the first time. Cranking harder

v3 is faster for me most of the time.

niki

That's what I noticed too.

I think they changed the search algorithm too.

From the moment I upgraded SETI, I got

4 units out of 1O with up to 3 triples, 6 with up to 3 pulses. I had one out (curiously the last one with 2.04) of 100+ before with pulses and none with triplet. But maybe it was already running with 2.04 ?

I wonder if triple and pulse search was faked in former version (Or maybe in this one ).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldFrog:
    That's what I noticed too.

I think they changed the search algorithm too.

From the moment I upgraded SETI, I got

4 units out of 1O with up to 3 triples, 6 with up to 3 pulses. I had one out (curiously the last one with 2.04) of 100+ before with pulses and none with triplet. But maybe it was already running with 2.04 ?

I wonder if triple and pulse search was faked in former version (Or maybe in this one ).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    May be, they might have had the hooks for it but not the algorithm for crunching it until 3.0 <shrug>

niki

Has anybody had any unexplained flaky operation with there machines since installing Ver 3.0???

------------------
    Oreo
    Got Milk???

Which kind ?

BTW, I hoped Ryan.

Well stuff like everything just sits there but the mouse still works. Can't select or close anything, can't open anything and can only reboot with little button on front.

Oreo
    Got Milk GONE FISHING!!!

No trouble for me. It runs fine even playing D3 games ( and not a glitch in NFS ), except after playing D3D games, the screensaver is disabled. I just have desappointing returns (tons of spike, Venusian playmates, Arcturian sorcerers, and all that sort of things) .

Maybe you should uninstall the whole thing and cleanly install it ?

Didn't look much those two days, I just installed Linux Mandrake 7.1 (Fine, less than one hour to config anything, but I must install Java to browse correctly). I'll soon give a try to SETI in it.

I had some entertainment with my NFS cars using your portait and niki's, but the result is poor as texture can't be greater than 256x256x32 for the whole car !!! If you want a sample, I'll send one (still trouble with uploads, maybe I'am a jerk).

[This message has been edited by OldFrog (edited 10-13-2000).]

And this one is to answer Ryan's test, as soon as I understood what he wanted (I'm really a jerk !!)

You know what ? Mozilla (Netscape) is faster in Linux, but the fonts are really shit. Will have some config to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oreo:
    Has anybody had any unexplained flaky operation with there machines since installing Ver 3.0???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last week programs on my machine would lock up, tight, and when I gave it the 'ol 3 finger salute I found that Seti wasn't responding. After shutting Seti down things were fine. Haven't had it happen since last week. Does anyone know if using 32 bit color slows Seti down? Or is that a stupid question? On Sunday I bought a new monitor and decided to try running 32 bit colors. I had three Seti units take 18hr plus to complete. It may have been a coincidence, but when I switched back to 16 bit color my Seti time dropped back to 7-9hrs. Has anyone had problems wiht Seti connecting to the internet and uploading/downloading work units? I know that the Seti server was down earlier in the weekb but for the past 3-4 days I've had connetion problems. Example: When I get up in the morning and turn on my monitor to ceck my Seti progress, I find that an error has occured and Seti will try to connect later. I immediatly connect to the internet and Seti has no problem connecting to the Seti server and uplaoding/downloading work units. The same thing happens when I get home from work. Any ideas? (Please don't tell me that the Seti folks have been having problems with thier server.... because I'd feel like an idiot for not going to the Seti site to check on the server status.) I never had these things (lock ups & connection errors) with the previous ver. of Seti. Take care all and rip the hell out of them Seti units!!

Christop54,

In fact, once it happened to me : had to connect manually to SETI.

Another thing I don't understand is, anytime I play D3D games, I must enable again SETI as screensaver, because it's disabledand I use for the "Go to blankscreen".