Ok, this should go in the motherboard forum, but I check here more often.

I can't seti, cause my blasted puter keeps locking up.

It happens during 3d games, it happens when browing the internet, it happens when I'm sitting there watching a pretty marquie screen saver, when listening to mp3s.. umm, I think that covers it?

I have the natorious(SP) k7v + geforce 256 + sb live platinum hell bug.

I reinstalled yesterday... am using via 4 in 1 newest drivers, the detonator 3 drivers from nvidia.com, I guess hte only thing I'm not using that is the newest is my sound drivers.. guess I'll try those.

The lockups occur randomly, and I know it ain't the cpu temp, cause it NEVER gets over 90 degrees F(thanks to 9 fans, and a baybus ).

Please provide any assistance you can.. I've done the A7V tweaks posted on the news page, no luck.

wolven

Added Note:

Hmm... I think I found the problem.. I read somewhere that you shouldn't use nething in PCI port 1 with a geforce agp card cause the geforce is greedy about irq's n stuff.. is this true? ( if so, I got some card swappin to do:P )

wollie

[This message has been edited by wolven (edited 10-18-2000).]

wolven, if you have 9 fans, it should be a PSU issue.
    Usual stuff :
    Go to Detonator 5.xx drivers (cleanly !)
    disable fastwrite, go to AGP2X
    disable Sidebanding Addressing.
    Give it a try then (Even with bad performance)
    If everything is OK again, enable AGP 4X and give it a try.
    Wait before enabling Fastwrites

[This message has been edited by OldFrog (edited 10-18-2000).]

wolven, you heard right. Nothing in first PCI, I think it's because if you aren't using AGP then the mobo want to see the vid card in slot 1 (only makes sense that way) I also found out on my SOYOK7V that the 5th slot also shares an IRQ. I finally started assigning IRQ's in the AWARD bios and I finally only have PCI Holding with each piece of equipment. The only think I could put with the AGP in slot 1 was my Promise ATA66 card. It didn't seem to bother video because it only held my CDRW.

Good luck,
    niki
    chatnoir
    lesucrechat

Wolven,
    try this

VIA 4in1 4.24a
    VIA AGP 4.03D
    Put sound card in 3rd PCI slot from AGP
    do all windows updates
    scandisk
    defrag
    close backgound programs
    modify startup files to only what you need with msconfig
    disable screensaver on seti
    disable power management in windows and bios
    download latest bios and flash http://www.asus.com/cgi-bin/dl.asp?f...7v/k7v1007.zip
    AGP miniport 4.71
    set FSB to 100 Mhz for stability (if it isn't already)
    make sure CPU and SDRAM is nice and tight
    make sure you are properly cooled tempwise
    make sure you have at least a 300W PS
    Disable unused items such as USB, com ports, and anything you do not use
    run UT in direct3D and not openGL
    run setispy

Tell me if any of this helps!
    I believe it will!

I dun think it's a PSU problem.. if I remember right, I smacked at least a 400 watt power supply in.. might even be higher.. cause I knew my fans was gonna take power, so this way it offsets it:P

I'll try your suggestions.. might have to remove my dvd decoder to make it work though:P

Hmm.. still locks up, and I don't got my cd to reinstall crap again :\ *CRY*.. ah well.. it's been like this for 3 months, I guess I'll put up with it.. crappy VIA chipset!

Note to self: never buy geforce + sblive + crappy via chipset... top of the line that runs worse than mud.

Question

First of all, as said niki, remove any card from slot 1 (it messes AGP bus) except if it's a true secondary video card (not TV like hauppauge).

Put Livecard in slot 3.

As it's a K7V you won't need AGPMiniport 4.71 (It's for AMD751 chipset you don't have), but all other stuff Duck told may be good for your troubles.

You still can enable some tweaks one after ther the other when everything will be stable

The last creative drivers were released 2000, May 5.

Good luck !!

Yep, I did all that.. still not working.. it stopped working right as soon as I switched cases... so I knew one problem was the pci slot... but I got the rest back in right... must be some mundaine detail with the config... having fun figuring out what it is:\.. maybe it's the 'new' detonator drivers... perhaps they hate me:-\.

interesting thing.. I used sisoft thing that duck recommmended in another post.. my puter locks up hard when I choose hte motherboard info option:\

And on another note, my P 100 no longer posts... it does 2 fast beeps, then 5 slow ones:\

wollie

DOH... I pulled a homer:P... well... the computer doesn't lock up anymore... of course, its stuck in an endless reboot cycle, and when it finally does load, my network card doesn't work, thus making SETI useless, since it can't download stats, and I can browse the web for stuff...... Ah well, 24 hour unplug, remove all the boards, and start over I guess *CRYDOH*

wolven

---------------------
    Got simpson's reruns?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>it stopped working right as soon as I switched cases... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take the Motherboard out and check to see if any standoffs are misalligned (shorting the MOBO)

It can't be that simple!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leoslocks:
    Take the Motherboard out and check to see if any standoffs are misalligned (shorting the MOBO)

It can't be that simple!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were right.. it wasn't... Apparently had a power surge while i was at work.. my MB and my network card got fubar'd..

now i'm runnin off my k7m, and for the first time ever, its running stable ( thanks to duckiepoo's posts:P ).

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wolven:

You were right.. it wasn't... Apparently had a power surge while i was at work.. my MB and my network card got fubar'd..

now i'm runnin off my k7m, and for the first time ever, its running stable ( thanks to duckiepoo's posts:P ).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to see you are up and stable wolven.

My K7V was VERY picky about RAM.....with it doing the same thing yours was with every PC100 I had to try, 7 stick total most of it with Seimens chips(mem clock at 100 of course) got some Micron PC133CAS2.......it will run for WEEKS on end without a problem.

Never seen such a picky in my life.

OH... I also have the GF2+SBlive(not Plat.)
    and did have GF+SBlive before in it and never had the "HELL BUG"....go figgur

[This message has been edited by Tweakman (edited 10-23-2000).]