Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake Oil!

Snake Oil!

I thought this might be kind of fun:
    What products do you think are nothing but Snake Oil, ie. offer no actual improvement, but have a placebo effect.

1. Fancy digital cables. Any decent 75-ohm video interconnect will pass all the required data, and sound just as good as the fancy "digital cable". (which is usually re-labeled video cable).

Bottled water.
    In a blind taste test, can you really tell the difference.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Far too obvious, but.... high freq. Intel P4

signal strength improvement devices for cell phones and radios.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

They actually sell a 'special' green pen -- you draw around the outer edge of audio CDs to make them sound better.

John C....thats the funniest thing Ive ever seen leave your keyboard. I gotta keep myself from responding....cause in my head the world is about 50% "Snake Oil" What a euphemism.

Ok, flame suit on and ready:

#1 Anything made by Bose! Over-hyped marketing, very cheap components. If you ever notice, almost all places that sell Bose have them in their own room. There is a very good reason for this: They don't want you to compare them to real speakers.

#2. CPU shims. No need for them if you are careful, do nothing for cooling, and the many poorly designed ones out there can be very harmful, either shorting out some traces, or if not the exact correct thickness they can actually lift your HSF off of the core.

Darn, I am not opinionated at all, am I?! LOL

Originally posted by IAmGhostDog
    Bottled water.
    In a blind taste test, can you really tell the difference.
    Agreed, distilled water is the only true clean water. Bottled water is usually straight from a municipal water supply (tap water). I can definately tell the difference between water out of my tap, and distilled water.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

BOSE SUCKS!?

I agree with you ALMOST 100%.

I got a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones that are absolutely fantastic. They make air travel much more pleasant bearable. They are comfortable to wear, and sound pretty decent too. Expensive as heck, but well worth it to me. Might be something just as good or better out there, but:
    1. Didn't have a money back guarantee, if I didn't like them.
    2. 12 month payment plan, no interest.

I've tried a couple other cheapers ones that co-workers had, but they all were uncomfortable to wear...

Anything made by Sony!
    -- Team |RH| @ Red-Hour --

Athlon 64 XP3200+ • Soltek nForce3 250GB SL-K8AN2E-GR • 512mb Twinmos DDR3200 • Sapphire 9500Pro 128mb • 2x 40gb Seagate 'Cuda's • 2x 100gb WD's • LiteOn SOHW-812S DVD+/-RW & LTR-52327S CD-RW • Audigy 2 w/ Zalman 5.1 cans • Coolermaster Praetorian w/ Antec True480

Apple G4 1ghz "Quicksilver" • 1.5gb PC133 • nVidia GeForce4 MX440 64mb • 80gb 'Cuda 160gb "Cuda • Pioneer DVR-108 • Zip 250 • 2x M-Audio Delta66 w/ Omni Studio • Berhinger Truth B2031A Studio Monitors

Originally posted by fuzzyuu
    Anything made by Sony!
    Agreed...My PS2 died and I called Sony and they were like..we'll fix if you pay for shipping to us and back to you plus $94 for us to fix it.

It shouldn't have broken in the first place and should have at least a 1 yr. warranty.

I won't be buying a PS3 or another PS2. I'll be getting an Xbox and an Xbox2 thank you very much. (As much as I dislike M$'s practices, they do make one heck of a good console.)

Sony screwed me over one to many times.

Namek

I'll vote on the Sony one too... Had a CD player and VCR that died within two weeks of each other. Just outside of warranty.

Sony TV. Nothing else Sony. (my CD writer is a Sony branded Lite-on, but that isn't really Sony)

Directional speaker cables with little arrows on them.

What a load. Reminds me of the pseudo-science you get in shampoo adverts on TV.

Oh and vibration 'isolators' for Hi-Fi equipment. A friend of mine got a bit carried away thanks to some daft advice in a hi-fi mag. He went out and bought a brand new 3 pack of squash balls, chopped two of them in half and stood his cd player on them. It looks stupid. (still, he gave the one left over to me to play with )

Great idea for a thread BTW John C

Actually, a case can be made for phono equipment and perhaps tube equipment for vibration isolation.

But with a CD player and solid state electronics (which is all I have)? I don't think so.

And directional cables -- I'll be opened minded on that one. I can actually believe it can make a difference, if someone would explain it to me.

Originally posted by xinco
    Actually, a case can be made for phono equipment and perhaps tube equipment for vibration isolation.

But with a CD player and solid state electronics (which is all I have)? I don't think so.

And directional cables -- I'll be opened minded on that one. I can actually believe it can make a difference, if someone would explain it to me.
    The only differrence with most "directional" cables, is that the ground is lifted on one end. This "can" help eliminate ground loop problems. As far as the electrons flowing one way, pure hogwash!
    Or Snake Oil!