Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Snake Oil!

Man, it is great to see the quality of knowledge we have here. If you go up to your average person on the street and ask what the best stereo speaker is, he will say Bose. That is marketing. Has absolutely nothing to do with performance. I expected many flames for stating my hatred for Bose, and this is just awesome. Maybe we can educate some who are just learning what sound is about.
    It is all about recreating the live performance. The only way to do that is with speakers that are as "flat" as possible. This means no "mid-bass hump" at 120hz that "sounds" like bass, but is nothing close. Or the cars you hear going down the road jumping all over the place. The only way Bose gets close to "bass" is by their band-pass bass enclosure, which thumps. But it doesnt go low. Listen to a pipe organ recording. THAT can go low, and very few speakers can reproduce that last octave. My sub can, and I can set it so you dont even know it is there, but when the room shakes, it is those very low sub-sonic vibes you are feeling.
    That is what impresses me about these Klipsch's I picked up. The sub is damn accurate.

yup, are the acoustic wave and bose speakers digital type ones?

HA! Digital! There is some more SNAKE OIL!

Sony places that all over there stuff. Digital. HA! That stuff is all analog. Nothing digitally enhanced about it!
    -- Team |RH| @ Red-Hour --

Athlon 64 XP3200+ Soltek nForce3 250GB SL-K8AN2E-GR 512mb Twinmos DDR3200 Sapphire 9500Pro 128mb 2x 40gb Seagate 'Cuda's 2x 100gb WD's LiteOn SOHW-812S DVD+/-RW & LTR-52327S CD-RW Audigy 2 w/ Zalman 5.1 cans Coolermaster Praetorian w/ Antec True480

Apple G4 1ghz "Quicksilver" 1.5gb PC133 nVidia GeForce4 MX440 64mb 80gb 'Cuda 160gb "Cuda Pioneer DVR-108 Zip 250 2x M-Audio Delta66 w/ Omni Studio Berhinger Truth B2031A Studio Monitors

digital speakers

I stopped by one of the local high-end audio shops the other day. Walked by one room, and they had speakers I hadn't seen in there before. (Can't remember what they were.)

But they sounded incredible! Asked the sales guy I know there about them, and what they run. They are 'digital' speakers -- they take a digital feed from the central processor (Don't have the details, or even the general facts right. I'll tell you why in a sec) -- and each has their own digital processor and amp.

$25k. Each. Plus the other proprietary components. Total setup for surround sound was $150k-$200k.

One thing I've learned about audio -- never, ever, ever listen to anything you can't afford! It makes you want it, and doubt your manhood for not being able to afford it. Everything else sounds like crap after that.

So I promptly left the room, and purged it from my mind until now.

Digital Speakers. I love that one. A speaker by nature is analog. It is a simple transducer that pushes air. They should really clarify it and call it "digital input" speakers. Somewhere in there is a Digital-Analog-Converter before the speaker drivers themselves.
    One of the reasons that "digital" home speakers are so expensive is that the amplifiers have to be in the speakers themselves. (or in the subwoofer, which then feeds the satellites via normal speaker wire).

AH! The glory of marketing, and finding people to buy mis-labled crap that isn't ever going to do you a damn bit of good.
    -- Team |RH| @ Red-Hour --

Athlon 64 XP3200+ Soltek nForce3 250GB SL-K8AN2E-GR 512mb Twinmos DDR3200 Sapphire 9500Pro 128mb 2x 40gb Seagate 'Cuda's 2x 100gb WD's LiteOn SOHW-812S DVD+/-RW & LTR-52327S CD-RW Audigy 2 w/ Zalman 5.1 cans Coolermaster Praetorian w/ Antec True480

Apple G4 1ghz "Quicksilver" 1.5gb PC133 nVidia GeForce4 MX440 64mb 80gb 'Cuda 160gb "Cuda Pioneer DVR-108 Zip 250 2x M-Audio Delta66 w/ Omni Studio Berhinger Truth B2031A Studio Monitors

Intel's Pentium 'MMX' - classic snake oil marketing of a virtually useless feature.

I remember a friend being surprised when I told him that Athlons had MMX too.

Nice one. Do you think that people can be so naive?

How about fast writes

Yeah, for graphics cards.

I got one!!, can't remember the name of it though. i saw it on an infomercial. It's a pinwheel type device that you put in your air intake on your car. it's supposed to help fuel economy and power by "properly mixing" fuel/air for maximum combustion by spinning the intake air like a cyclone. Useless once the air hits the intake manifold. Could possibly would work with carbeurated engines, but all new cars are FI.
    Speaking of informercials, I always love it when they are selling cmputers and say "this includes a superfast P4 processor for blazing internet speed". I'd love to call in there and point out to them how ignorant (lack of knowledge) they are concerning anything computer related. Geez, just makes me laugh and feel bad for some poor sucker who actually believes what they are saying.
    Last edited by [OSF]MDK; 11-16-2002 at 02:57 AM.
    AMD64 4000+ San Diego
    Soltek K8Tpro 939
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Koolance PC2-650BU with cpu and nb water blocks
    Blue LED Modded
    1gig corsair pc3200
    Windows XP Home SP2

I love to watch the shopping networks when they are selling a computer. "And it includes $50,000 worth of software at no extra charge"! Of course half of the titles are AOL, Compuserve, or all the bundled stuff that comes with the printer, etc already.

Yeah...Ive seen those ads. Every piece of software youll never need. I love to get a hardrive fully loaded with crap. But if you wear the "ionic bracelet" it will work like a charm. Thats what Ms. Cleo told me via a thought transfer.

Ads can be so misleading.

Ok, I am stealing this one from Sopclod. THX. Basically a standard certification that mfgrs can apply for. It is expensive. It in no way means that a THX speaker or reciever is "better" than one that isnt, it just means that it was submitted and passed.
    Most THX home speakers have dissapeared, basically because, well, they sucked! The THX spec severly limited vertical dispersion, and crossover levels. They sounded ok in pure movie environment, but were not very good for music.
    As far as recievers, there was one famous Technics reciever a few years back that was THX certified, but was really horrible. Poor sound, features, etc.
    I think THX specs work fine for PC speakers because you sit close to them, in a controlled space. Unlike a living room with different seats, couch positions, etc.
    The one exception is THX post-processing to Dolby Prologic, and Dolby Digital. This can actually sound quite nice, it rolls off the highs a little bit (to compensate for movie soundtracks being mixed for theaters, where they have to play through the perforated viewing screen), and it applies a little phase trick to Pro Logic to give the appearance of stereo surrounds (surrounds are mono on Dolby Pro Logic.).

The "more wattage is better" selling point. I saw someone buy a set of 600W speakers even though they listened to them begin to distort and all out fall apart well before the amplifier began to push it. But more wattage is always better, right?
    I have 2 9-watt computer speakers with one woofer. On the setting of 2 out of 9, the sound is quite loud, and clear, I can't go above 3 or 4 without disturbing people. They're just cheapee Cambridge Soundworks from Creative Labs.

3dfxrain....welcome. You got pals here. If you want a beer or wine...or some good food...step in to Nameks. We dont bite. Good we talked.