Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Any new news of other stores carrying these? I cannot justify paying $7.00 shipping to that yahoo store when I only need a few pads (ie 5 for $7.50). C'mon vendors you need to stock these! Cheap and forgiving for those of us without brain surgery ASIII skills.

Bianca

this thing (Shin-etsu) is very hard to apply...damn sticky
    akldflkandvndlkvndbvjsdbvjbsdv

Really? Thing seems pretty easy on my end. Certainly more so then Artic Silver 3. Are you touching it with your fingers, or are you saying it's sticking to places you don't wan tit to stick to. Unless it's gotten warm it shouldn't be sticky.

Originally posted by Viola
    Any new news of other stores carrying these? I cannot justify paying $7.00 shipping to that yahoo store when I only need a few pads (ie 5 for $7.50). C'mon vendors you need to stock these! Cheap and forgiving for those of us without brain surgery ASIII skills.

Bianca
    Hopefully someone who only charges $5.00 shipping will carry it. But then you're still not talking that much of difference in shipping.

Unfortunately $5-7 shipping is always a lot when you're buying something that only $7.50.

Haha can someone just send me 1? thats all i need couldnt you just send it in an evelope

Originally posted by Uroboros
    Really? Thing seems pretty easy on my end. Certainly more so then Artic Silver 3. Are you touching it with your fingers, or are you saying it's sticking to places you don't wan tit to stick to. Unless it's gotten warm it shouldn't be sticky.
    Wait..which shin-etsu were you guys talking about? The one I'm using is Shin-Etsu G-751. you need to warm it before you apply so that it won't be so stickyyyyyyyy..
    akldflkandvndlkvndbvjsdbvjbsdv

Well i am going to jump the boat everyone else is on and try this stuff. By reading the posts I am not sure of what everyone is talking about is it the pads or the grease that i need to purchase.

And i sure the heck hope that there is instructions to the thing. The only experience i have is with ASIII.

Any advice. Thx in advance.
    AMD MP 1900+ (1.6 @1.78)
    XMS Corsair Ram 512 cas2 pc -2700
    Abit KX-7 333
    Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4600
    Sounblaster Audigy MP3+
    100 GB Western Digital Special Edition 7200 RPM
    Toshiba 1612 DVD-ROM
    Liteon 48X CDRW
    3 Com NIC
    Lian-Li PC-60 USB
    SLK-800 w/ Mechatronics 53.1 cfm
    Antec Tru430 Powersupply
    Viewsonic VA720 LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Professional w/ SP 1

Exclamation

It's the pads you want..not the grease. As for instruction; what I got didn't have any. But here's what I did with information gathered online.

The pads will come on a plastic sheet with another sheet covering half the top (with a company logo) and extending beyond the pad.

Peel pad away from backing but don't remove the upper plastic sheet. You can hold pad by this when placing on heat sink.

Place in heat sink and rub top of pad (where it's covered by plastic sheet) with some blunt rounded piece of plastic. Until it makes good contact with heat sink and top plastic peels away without taking pad with it.

Now this last part is just my guess. After peeling away protective sheet, I place it over the area that I couldn't rub (because it wasn't covered by sheet) and rub that a bit as well so pad makes good contact through out. Don't really know if this step is required; but it worked for me. After that proceed as normal.

One bad thing aobut pad is that you have to have a good idea where the heat sink will contact the CPU core before you place the pad. As opposed to a grease where it's placed on the core directly. So if you're replacing a Arctic Silver application, take note of where the contact area is before cleaning. Or if there is a pad there already take note of it's placement.

In my case I'm using I'm using a Dr. Thermal TI-V77L , which even though it has a copper disc the core doesn't quite center on this disc. I used the placement of the existing pad as my guide.

thanks very much
    AMD MP 1900+ (1.6 @1.78)
    XMS Corsair Ram 512 cas2 pc -2700
    Abit KX-7 333
    Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4600
    Sounblaster Audigy MP3+
    100 GB Western Digital Special Edition 7200 RPM
    Toshiba 1612 DVD-ROM
    Liteon 48X CDRW
    3 Com NIC
    Lian-Li PC-60 USB
    SLK-800 w/ Mechatronics 53.1 cfm
    Antec Tru430 Powersupply
    Viewsonic VA720 LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Professional w/ SP 1

One bad thing aobut pad is that you have to have a good idea where the heat sink will contact the CPU core before you place the pad. As opposed to a grease where it's placed on the core directly. So if you're replacing a Arctic Silver application, take note of where the contact area is before cleaning. Or if there is a pad there already take note of it's placement.
    Good point and thanks man!

I just bought 5 thermal pads from that yahoo store mentioned above. I ordered Yesterday Morning and received them today at 12pm. Not bad at all! Packaging was good and they also sent me 1 Honeywell pcm45 pad as well as a sample. Overall very efficient sale. Now to test these puppies . Has anyone tried these honeywell pads? I live in Los Angeles,CA btw.

-eddie
    Last edited by eddie33081; 12-03-2002 at 05:55 PM.

The pad is supposed to be very easy to use, so I doubt it makes any difference if you apply it to the core first instead of the heat sink. Just stick it on the core, put the HS on, and go. It's probably a good idea to do as you described to avoid getting finger oils or flakes on the material, but honestly I bet it doesn't even matter. Soon as a decent shipping price place carries them I'll get my own!

Bianca

I don't think I would go about placing it on the core instead of the heat sink. The pad is larger than the core, and the excess pad will not make as good contact with the heat sink if applied this way. It may not matter..but I wouldn't chance it.

Of course it would be nice if there were some specific application directions from the manufacture. I looked at their site but found not. The application method I suggested was based on a review of the item where the reviewer implied they were direct from manufacture

Anyone try using the pad on the video card?

Was considering replacing the thermal pad on a Radeon 9700 Pro.

CyNics,

To change the subject (pads) briefly, what kind of results are you getting with your Shin Etsu G-751? As compared to say...AS3 or whatever?