Maxtor 8mb or WD 2mb buffer

I have a Maxtor 8mb buffer ATA133 and a WD ATA100 2mb drives.
    I was wondering which one would be the better drive to load windows on. The other will be used as storage.

I heard from amny the WD performs generally better, but i am am not sure of this situation becuase of the beuffer size.

THanks
    PEte

All opinions wanted actually needed
    THanks again.

Actually we need to know exactly which model each drive is, especially the WD.

If the Maxtor is one of the new DiamondMax Plus 9 series then it probably has somewhat faster read/write speed but slower access time.

In your case, the drive with the best overall performance should be the O/S drive.

ok..

THe maxtor drive is a Diamond Max Plus 9 80gb ata133 and the WD is a 800BB drive.

Thanks
    PEte

Based on preliminary data in the www.storagereview.com database, I think the Maxtor would be a better overall O/S drive. They haven't posted a full review of it yet however.

But based upon your own discoveries and knowledge would u still used the maxtor over the WD.

PEte

Originally posted by Amd=cool
    But based upon your own discoveries and knowledge would u still used the maxtor over the WD.

PEte
    I have to be honest - My experiences with drives with large buffers like the 800JB in particular, leaves a lasting impression. The drive just feels faster than anything with a 2 meg buffer even when the later has a faster access time.

Depends to some degree on what you do on the computer. The large cache really shines when dealing with large files, while the 2 meg models sometimes feel quicker when dealing with lots of small files. It is a tough decision and I don't want to leade you astray. IMHO, I just think the Plus 9 will do better overall.

would a WD 800JB be better than both of them ?

PEte

Originally posted by Amd=cool
    would a WD 800JB be better than both of them ?

PEte
    800JB is definately noticeably faster than a 800BB but I don't know if it'll beat a Plus 9. SR hasn't released their review of it yet, should be just a few more days. SR's prelim data shows the Plus 9 may have an edge over the 800JB, but not a very big one.

sorry to bother u so much....

I went to their web site but cant find any data at all.
    Where did u get the prelim data from.

PEte

No problem. SR's site can be a bear for newcomers to nav their way around and its hard to provde direct links to some of their pages, etc. Start by clicking the following link:

http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html

Then click the "sort" button in the center of and down the page just a little.

That'll bring up their current drive rankings, which are based on the aggregates of a bunch of different tests, which are always performed in a ridgid way using the same procedures and benchmarks on the same hardware testbed. That degree of consistency, repeatibility, and credibility isn't found in reviews done on other sites.

You'll notice that the Plus 9 is just below the WD's 800JB and its larger capacity siblings, the 180GXP, and of course SCSI drives.

I'm chomping at the bit for the review to come out.

u know if you look at the specs and results being posted at the storagereview website it seems to have the maxtor beat the Wd.

Pete

I read a few reviews that the new 8MB cache maxtors are blazing fast drives. Expensive, but fast.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W