Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Tawcan
    Wow lots physics ppl in here. Someone want to explain to me what this formula means?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It means someone was very careless with their commas and with closing their parentheses.

So I'll guess at the equation they were probably trying to write. That equation starts with an integral of a function f(x, y, z) with respect to dxdydz on the left hand side. (dV being shorthand for dxdydz). The equation converts that to an integral with respect to dudvdw, where x, y, and z are functions of u, v, w.
    /me stares stupidly ahead and nods

Glad someone knows what that means. :-)
    Crunching various BOINC projects under the Swordfish username, for the PCPER Froggies.

Your not the only one Joofoo

Wow lots physics ppl in here. Someone want to explain to me what this formula means?

The commas are not nice at all.
    Also the x,y,z on the left side are NOT the same as the x,y,z on the other side as in x(u,v,w)...

The formula describes the general method to transform from one system of coordinates (e.g. karthesian x,y,z) to another (e.g. polar coordinates as given by radius and 2 angles) since sometimes its much easier to calculate stuff in other coordiates (e.g. cylinders are best done in cylinder coordinates radius, length and angle).

...Enough to make your brain bleed...

Killeroy.

-=Tawcan=- Guest
    Oops made some mistakes on the formula.

Killeroy's correct. You can easily change cartesian to cylindrical, sphercial, or some other coordinate system. I prefer to use the beaver coordinate system.

Cool, we were about 100 miles away when in IL and now about the same maybe in CO. With 200 Million people in the states, the probability is good that this could happen. SO EVERYONE! THERE IS NOTHING GOING ON BETWEEN PIJO AND I!!! lol.

We need more representation in Colorado!

Tred

Originally posted by pijo
    Will you lookie there...not one, but two other Coloradans!

Let's see...

I'm Colorado born, but grew up in St Louis before getting sick of it and moving back about a dozen years ago. Spent my younger years as auto mechanic in a shop that specialized in exotic European cars (read Ferrari, Lambo, etc). That got too rough on the old bones, so I went back to school and got my BS in Computer Science. I've spent the last five years working as a software analyst for a small company based in Golden. I've been involved in computers since the early 80's, when I got my first Commodore Vic 20.
    BOB WOMACKS

Supports the AMDMB Killer
    Barbarian Frogs!

-=Tawcan=- Guest
    Let's see more posts!

Hardly can consider myself on the team right now :/ severely lacking in crunchers, but here goes.

I'm 18, I'm a freshman at the University of New Hampshire. I work at the InterOperability Lab at UNH as an IPv6 Test Engineer (Base Operations). I began the semester as a Computer Science major, but am now undeclared because I can't take the math (failed precalculus :/), so I'm thinking of going the way of Business with a minor in IT or something. My first (family) PC was a Packard Bell Multimedia 60MHz Pentium 1 with 2 2x CDRom drives, 8MB ram, and an 800MB hard drive. After about 5 years I talked my parents into buying a new computer (which I did not get to help pick out) and ended up being an HP 4450 (Cel 366, 64 ram, 6gig HD). I then decided to buy my own PC about a year ago - a Dell 8100 (P4 1.3, 256MB Ram, 40gig HD) which I learned most of my hardware knowledge on. I then decided that the computer wasn't good enough for me for college, so after months of planning and research I built the computer now listed in my sig. I swear I will never go back to uni-processor (unless Athlon64 acts a lot like duals, or adopts hyperthreading). This computer gets a lot of modding action, and hums like a beast (soon to be fixed).

EDIT: Yeah forgot about a few short-lives machines I acquired: Between the Celeron and P4 I had acquired an old (working) 386 that booted only DOS, and I also picked up a beastly 286 that didn't do a dang thing. So I opened it up and was amazed at the 5 1/4" harddrive, and it's weird connectors. I took the drive apart, and plan on making a clock with it's platters.

Guess that's it, happy holidays to you all!
    Last edited by JoeyScho84; 12-29-2002 at 10:30 AM.

Navi: (Desktop) Antec Aria | MSI K8TM-ILSR | Athlon 64 3200+ | 2x 512 MB PC3200 | 80GB Seagate SATA | NEC 8x DVD-RW/DL | GF5600 Ultra 256MB | XP Pro/64 | Yoper Linux
    Sellout: (File Server) VIA C3 1.3GHz | 512MB PC2700 | 300+ GB Storage | Gentoo Linux, 2.6.8.1 kernel

18 - 19 in a month, majoring in Engineering Physics with Tawcan at UBC in Canada. First owned a 486 dx33 in '92 and got really into computers until around 1997. Met Tawcan, got introduced to this website last year, refreshed myself with computers, and got my first AMD machine (2000) that's doing DF on Tawcan's account.
    I'll dig until my hands bleed.

-=Tawcan=- Guest
    Originally posted by bilyl
    doing DF on Tawcan's account.
    Correction, it's our account. You probably produce ~ 1/3 of the structures.

Doing some recruitment here.

Correction, it's our account. You probably produce ~ 1/3 of the structures.

Doing some recruitment here.
    So there was never really a beaver
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

-=Tawcan=- Guest
    Originally posted by Jay See Bee
    So there was never really a beaver
    There is a beaver...but now it's beavers

There is a beaver...but now it's beavers
    LOL!

Ahh I see!
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

-=Tawcan=- Guest
    BUMP!

Interesting read, pretty wide selection of people here

hmmm as for me not much to know, I have calmed down to much, got kinda boring even,

Born in Oregon '76, but grew up in St. Petersburg Florida, I have alwasy been facinated with machinery, when I was a kid any time anything broke in the house it was a treat to take it apart and see what was inside, grew up with macs in the house but I was never interested so I never learned much then, they were boring word processing/spread sheet crunchers, no internet, no 3d games no communication and not much to fool aground with, especially for a kid

At 19 I went to A&P school, took my fascination with machinery and aircraft and went with it, got a job with a major airline who had a "cheap" pc program including a VPN connection to our corporate network, and got my first taste of windows on crappy hardware learned a lot real fast and the more I learned the more I wanted to know, and found a new obsession

Other than computer I have a long love affair with cars never have had the $ for anything nice until now, also a part time gun nut I recently assembled an FAL (yes that is still legal in the US (besides California) just have to follow some of the stupidest laws I have ever seen) still does not shoot right as I messed up the head spacing, needs a new bolt and locking shoulder before I can try it out again

Recently tried snowboarding for the first time, steep learning curve but a blast afterwards I want to go back after peak season ($ permitting)

Single, no wife, no GF, no kids, no pets. work->eat->sleep->tinker
    Last edited by RavenTai; 01-18-2003 at 12:54 PM.

bump
    Spankinmonkee
    Banana Powered
    151 plus Ghz