Thread: Just Curious

Just Curious

In our group there are 2 dual boards. An Asus and a gigabyte, the latest one being the Asus. They both are stable as a rock but the gigabyte seems to have more features (no, I havent done any tests between the two, I dont have enough brains left).
    I was wondering why more people dont choose the gig board, I know there has to be a reason? How about some of you filling this ol dummy in on it.
    thanks
    ancient
    Last edited by ancient; 01-08-2003 at 12:37 PM.
    Alhiemers is not the end, its just one heck of an uphill battle in another direction.

http://www.gettingtogather.net

Bump
    Come on felleas, Im doing some research but I am missing somrthing here . Fill me in.
    ancient
    Alhiemers is not the end, its just one heck of an uphill battle in another direction.

Hi, Ancient, nice to see you by here !!!

I think no usual posters here uses the Gigabyte, and I remember when this forum started, there were some posts telling the extra HD controlers seemed to be working at full moon only, and generally Gigabyte had a quality trouble.
    Anyway, they may have improved their Mbs, or you are lucky with yours.

I bought my A7M266-D in July, it worked out of the box, it is up 24/7, and, since then, I opened the box only once to clear the dust, nothing else.

Duallies we mainly discuss here (Asus, MSI or Iwill) seem to be rock solid, so I guess ppl are not ready to throw them in the garbage box.

So, maybe you should tell us how yours works, that will give some new infos.

The gigabyte board looks good on paper, but I had serious problems with the onboard raid. I seriously doubt it was just my board as others have posted similar raid issues. In my case I was using raid 1 (mirroring), and almost every time I tried to move large chunks of data (>500MB) off of or onto the raid array the ststem would completely freeze, requiring reboot. If you ignore the onboard raid (which I eventually did by putting an adaptec 1200a in intead), the board is solid, but then, specwise you have nothing more than an MSI K7D Master-L has, and the MSI board is smaller and comes with a USB 2.0 card.
    So, that's the reason I don't rave about the gigabyte board, that system is a file server at work, and the fact that it would consistently freeze during backups caused me a bit of embarrassment, the fact that gigabyte server support is essentially non-existent only adds to my bitterness.

OldFrog
    Real nice to hear from you. The board is not mine but a friend of mine. He has 2- 120 gig drives as raid 0. TI 4600 graphics, with dual 1800 XP's. Like the Asus, it worked out of the box with everthing except the 9700 Pro he tried to use. He had to swap the 9700 Pro for the TI 4600 before it would work. This board is stable as a rock, as is the Asus. I would be hard hit to say which one is the most stable. I like it so much that I am thinking of getting one myself when money is avaiable. The only gripe is the sound system is not the latest, it AC97 (I think).

I want to buy this board but when we came here for research, we found the Asus and nothing on the gigibyte, thus the questions. This board has performed flawlessly for 1 month now so I guess when I get some spare change I will buy it.
    ancient

Originally posted by ancient
    OldFrog
    Real nice to hear from you. The board is not mine but a friend of mine. He has 2- 120 gig drives as raid 0. TI 4600 graphics, with dual 1800 XP's. Like the Asus, it worked out of the box with everthing except the 9700 Pro he tried to use. He had to swap the 9700 Pro for the TI 4600 before it would work. This board is stable as a rock, as is the Asus. I would be hard hit to say which one is the most stable. I like it so much that I am thinking of getting one myself when money is avaiable. The only gripe is the sound system is not the latest, it AC97 (I think).

I want to buy this board but when we came here for research, we found the Asus and nothing on the gigibyte, thus the questions. This board has performed flawlessly for 1 month now so I guess when I get some spare change I will buy it.
    ancient
    I have Tyans and MSI also very stable, the OC's favorite at present is the Iwill MPX2, saw the spec of the GB and thought got to have one when they first came out - my checking around found 5 bad comments and 1 good in the first few weeks. Decided to let others fight the battle.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

Thanks Gentleman
    Now this is the kind of feedback I was hopeing for. I knew about the problems in the beggining with the raid, but the new boards are supposed to have the new drivers.
    I may end up getting the MSI and put a 3ware Escalade 7500 card in. I know that is extra money but well worth it.If I get any more bad remarks on the gigabyte.
    Ben is all the time moving movies around on his raid setup and nary a peep. He is an old movie Buff and has quite a collection.
    As far as speed, it seeems to be as fast as the others but have no tests to go by, thats why I am asking questions here.
    ancient