Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I do agree with Tension though. AMD really doesn't need Intel's help. Look at the AMD 761 chipset from AMD. I use to own the Abit KG7 Lite and that was BY FAR the most stable AMD chipset I've ever used. AMD should look into making another chipset. They just don't realize how well their chipset worked.

Hi,

First post and history.

I am an overclocker, though I would not say I'm a pro. My first processor was an Intel 8086@8Mhz, but lets move to the early 90's when speed began to matter. I bought my first real PC in the sense that all components were hand picked in 92. I believe I went with the AMD 50Mhz and over clocked it with the help of the vender to 60MHz. I may not be good at OC'ing, but I've been doing it forever. Being a system intergrator myself for some time, I've owned almost every processor released from about 133MHz on to about 1.2 GHZ when I droped out of the business; from both Intel and AMD to the odd balls like Cyrix and IDT. I'm getting back into the enthusiast side of things and look forward to catching up to all the changes that have taken place over the last year.
    I'm far from bias, and I welcome intel users to see what's up in the world of AMD. Maybe we can show them a little about what AMD processors can do both in stock form and OC'ed - dispell the idea that the PR rating AMD is using is a Cyrix-type hand job, and maybe they can show us a thing or two. The whole point is we are all after the same thing. Free Speed.

Z.

My first PC with an Intel chip in it was a 400MHz PII---which is now running on my grandparents PC, quite well I should say.

I only have 1 Intel box, but it's got a nice 1.6A that can do 2.32GHz at least. I'd like to try a different motherboard and see if I can get a better result with the chip w/o the wierd side effect (system hangs on even a 1MHz FSB increase )

Intel, AMD, so what if a person buys an Intel chip? its that person's money, not yours, right? Its all about preference. As an AMD user, as little as it means, I welcome all Intel users.
    Last edited by BigOne; 02-24-2003 at 08:41 AM.
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Windows XP Professional SP1
    GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0 BIOS-F12Modded
    Corsair XMS CAS 2.0 PC2700
    ATI Sapphire 9500(np RED pcb)->9700(325/300)
    Thermalright AX-7
    YS TECH 80mm Fan
    WD 80GB 8MB Cache
    Verbatim 48x12x48 CD-RW.
    "I like the short animation of the Innotech employee packing his GA-7VRXP rev 1.0 for RMA." -GBR

lol...I find it ammusing still how so many people in the computer world deditcate themselves to certain companys. Like they own alot of stock in the company or something. Just like the people that dedicate themselves to Nvidia or Ati. Even good reviewers you can tell by thier wording whos side they are on. I build both Amd and Intel systems. I think they both have thier ups and downs. And I always like hearing best band for the buck...that is very true in AMD...but if they had the best bang period...why even use that phrase...lol

hmmm, actualy if u ppl have been looking l8ly, the price of a INTEL P4 2.6 533fsb is ACTUALY CHEEPER than a AMD ATHLON XP 2600+, considering the higher ghz and cheeper processor, it appers that intel is a much better choice, and intel can overclock much better than a AMD, and AMD run much hotter than intels when there overclocked, for more info look at www.tomshardware.com the overclocked a 3.06ghz p4 to 4ghz
    I could never stick a needle into my arm for pleasure. I mean, not unless there was heroin or something in it.

Originally posted by Meridian
    And yes, P4s do run cooler than Athlons.
    It's no longer being true. When my XP1700+ overclocked to 1935MHz, it's ~25C to 36C (CoolerMaster-4000RPM), and another XP2100@2355MHz (Volcano 6Cu with Fan speed controller keeps it at medium-4500RPM), it's only go up to 37C when benchmarking 3DMark 2001SE.
    I'm actually surprised to see how they're so cool compared to my older Palomino XP1600 (40 to 55C).

Originally posted by Esipes3821
    lol...I find it ammusing still how so many people in the computer world deditcate themselves to certain companys. Like they own alot of stock in the company or something. Just like the people that dedicate themselves to Nvidia or Ati. Even good reviewers you can tell by thier wording whos side they are on. I build both Amd and Intel systems. I think they both have thier ups and downs. And I always like hearing best band for the buck...that is very true in AMD...but if they had the best bang period...why even use that phrase...lol
    Yea I totally agree. Some people here would throw themselves into a running train in defense of AMD.

Companies compete over you, you dont compete over companies.

HEY HEY...STOP IT....you guys keep welcoming INTEL (rich guys) PEOPLE, but guess what....There is like 1 or 2 INTEL guys here...we are all AMD....so stop welcoming them.....they not coming...they will never come....this is AMD city and will always be....so go help some guy out and post something else!!!

BTW, I owned a 286, then a P1 120MHz, then a P3 500Mhz, and now im all AMD....I know INTEL and AMD.....and AMD wins hands down!!!
    SYSTEM:
    Mobo: NF7-S REV. 2 (bios 1.0)
    CPU: XP 2500+ @ 2.42GHz (10.5 X 230) @ 1.93V
    Cooling: |TC-4|Hydor L30|Heatcore| (chip @ 37 - 46 degrees)
    RAM: Mushkin LVL II V2 @ 2-2-2-11
    PSU: Enermax EG465P-VE K8 Ready!
    Case: Skyhawk 4658
    Video: RADEON 9500 Pro @ 325/325
    Storage: Hitachi 7K250 250gig
    Sound: Santa Cruz - TB

"R" MAN AUDIO
    -If you build the circuit the electrons will come!

I own both, I overclock both, I build both for clients, I love and recommend both, and I am happy to see the management of this board is welcoming the darths of the darkside

I started coming here because I wanted to learn about AMD chips. Swore I'd never overclock. Right.... I have since switched to the dark side (2.66 P4 running at 3.2), but I continue to come here because this is a great community. My wife's machine is still AMD, and I will buy more AMD in the future. But knowledge is knowledge, no matter how you geek. And this place has tons of it.

A_Sr.
    Proud convert to an Apple MacBook Pro!

My Beloved Headphone Rig: Is no more. Started loving speakers so no mo' headphones.

My Speaker Rig: Dual 505-2 Turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Red cart OR Resolution Audio Opus CD Player OR Mac Mini into a Emotiva XDA-1 DAC -> NAD 1600 Preamp -> 1976 Pioneer M-22 Class A Amp -> Tekton Lore Speakers

If this forum wants to cuddle up to Intel OC ppl, if we can help any of the poor s*ds with their proplems, great considering what Intel does to prevent the activity of OCing, really the least we can do...

Like I said, Fine, I got no prob with it, but lets not get over the top here, this forum is FOR AMD USERS, make a sub forum for Intel OC escapades.

Lets get some perspective here! Intel is all for being the only CPU maker in town, no a problem if Intel left its products to do the talking, but no wait ... they don't do that do they? Any one read the recent speculation that Intel is back at the strong arm tactics again, well you aren't surprised are you??

This is a company which uneccessarily changes platform every 2 CPU design iterations, keeps its prices high because of the general belief that Intel is always better, and no matter how many try to there seems to be no way in which this collective belief is going to be broken, is completely hypocritical on its product descriptions stance and at the merest hint of serious competition uses its huge influence to obstruct every product it can get in the way of.

Seems like most ppl still remeber their hate for Microsoft and its dodgy product releases, but it seems too many ppl have forgiven Intel and gone to the hell disguised as heaven with arms wide open...

Too many ppl have forgotten or simply don't know what Intel is really about.

Chaos
    Gigabyte GA-7VT880-L - Athlon XP2500+ - 1024mb twinX XMS3700 - Radeon 9700 128mb

Iiyama VM Pro 512 - Coolermaster ATC200 MX1 - Soltek SL-75FRN2-L -(with)- Athlon XP1700+ - 1024mb PC2700 - Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb - Creative SB Audigy -Logitech MX 500 USB

Toshiba Tecra S1 - P-M 1.6GHz - 768mb PC2100 - Radeon mobility 9000 32mb (my wireless dedicated LAN server...)

I have nothing really to add ChaosEngine, but you said a mouthful. I agree completely, and that's why I started building AMD systems several years ago. After the 440BX, I began completely ignoring Intel. For me, it's been a mostly-rewarding policy that works.

Hello all - I'm a newbie here (running a clocked celeron) and am looking for spme advice...

I'm planning on upgrading my Celery 800 @ 994mhz, on a Jetway J994an-l, to an AMD based system with scope for clocking.

In with a chance is the Athlon XP2000, either on a Asus A7S333 or an ECS K7S8A.

What do you guys reckon? I play some games and surf the net. That's about it.

What sort of speed can I get from the Xp2000 with light overclocking? Is this a good chip to buy?

TIA

JR

Cool

Can I suggest you start a new thread with that question? This thread really isn't the right place.

I'll also take this opportunity to remind everyone:

Please do not post comments along the lines of "This is an AMD forum" as I will treat them as flames.
    M
    Last edited by Meridian; 05-16-2003 at 01:35 PM.