Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Colin Mcrae Rally 2.0

I've been looking for a good arcade style racing game for a long time. I understand that this game is a simulation but also has an arcade racing mode. I just want to be able to race by myself or in multiplayer for fun. It's on sale for $9.90 at gogamer.com for the next 45 hrs 25 min (LOL) and I'm wondering if it's worth buying.

So how is this game overall?

How is the multiplayer? Does it support LAN/Internet play? How many players? The review I read suggested it's limited to 2 players in split screen mode - is that true?
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Here is a link to the game itself!

http://www.codemasters.com/redirect/...r2pc/front.htm
    Case Lian Li LanCool PC-K62 PSU Corsair HX850 Motherboard EVGA X58 E757 Video Card EVGA HD 570
    CPU Intel I7 930@3.5GHz Cooler CoolerMaster V8 Memory 6GB(2GB x 3) GEIL BLACK DRAGON PC3 12800
    DVD Drive LiteON DH401S DVD Burner LG GH22NS50 System Drive 60GB SSD Mushkin Callisto
    Additional Storage 300GB VelociRaptor 74GB Raptor Seagate 1.5TB Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Soundcard SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PCI-E Headphones Razor Barracuda

I've played and beat Colin McRae Rally 2.0. It is a great racing game! You'll definitely need a joystick at least though as it is more simulation than it is arade. Why don't you download the demo for it before buying it and paying for shipping? The course that you get to race in the demo ended up being my favorite course out of the whole game but maybe that's because I raced it a thousand times before buying the game. $9.90 is a steal for CMR2 if I had never played it I would seriously consider getting it. Plus it would be a good warm up to CMR3 that's just around the corner.
    My PC:

Demo? - Duh !!! I guess that's a good idea Thanks I hope the demo supports multiplayer because that's important to me.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

The hippest place in the Universe (as voted by the readers of PlayBeing).... my left cranium
    Len, CMR2 is an awesome game. The MP is great too if you want an arcade style race. Actually, that was one thing that I wasn't totally happy with...... When you have more than 1 player on the track at a time, damage models are all turned off. Split screen will only support 2 players. But arcade style supports more.... and no, I'm not sure how many. The other MP game types are time trials and rally championships.

Have to agree though, the beauty of this game is that is a great rally sim. Get yourself a wheel if you don't already have one - better yet, get one with force feedback, lots of fun

Should keep you occupied For $10 it's a steal.

My rigs My Games

Join the Fragging Frogs and get your own back on flamers, thread stealers and the mods.
    So you think you know where your towel is?

I'm not a big fan of split screens, can you multiplayer without the split screen? It would be cool to get several people racing together over the net, maybe Fragging Frogs

I've got too many games to buy ... got my eye on Half Life (for CS), BF1942 and now this CMR2 deal appears. Oh yeah, can't forget about Unreal 2 in Feb - that's a must buy I'm sure.

The hippest place in the Universe (as voted by the readers of PlayBeing).... my left cranium
    Oh yeah, absolutely. The split screen is only for playing 2 players on 1 machine. The net code seems to work great. Not sure what the max players over the internet is.... 8 ? I've only ever played with my bro in London & never noticed any issues from 10k miles away, so they've obviously done something right

Oh, and I'm definitely in for some CMR2 for the Fragging (?) Frogs

My rigs My Games

Join the Fragging Frogs and get your own back on flamers, thread stealers and the mods.

I'm pretty sure that it does support LAN multiplayer but not TCP/IP multiplayer?
    My PC:

Originally posted by Rexer
    I'm pretty sure that it does support LAN multiplayer but not TCP/IP multiplayer?
    It does - read my previous post.

My rigs My Games

Oops looks like I was wrong about CMR2 not supporting tcp/ip. Also, here's a site that seems to have some good CMR2 stuff on it.

http://www.sportplanet.com/cmr2/
    My PC:

From the official site too:
    - Network LAN/Internet play (PC exclusive).
    - Now with 6 car arcade rally
    So, I guess that answers the max players question too

My rigs My Games

No question about it, you have to buy it.

I would put it ahead of HalfLife/CS as a must have, as there are other good FPS multiplayer games out there, but I dont like FPS games, and disliked Halflife.

But CMR2 gives the nearest experience to Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2 that I have experienced on the PC. I had CMR1, which was terrific, but the moment CMR2 came out at a budget price I "upgraded".

Fantastic game.

(Here is a hint - avoid TOCA Touring Cars on budget release, as for me the cars dont "steer", they change orientation on the spot, very twitchy and unrealistic)

I was going to wait for a discounted price for the PS2 version, but for $9.90 at GoGamer, it's a no-brainer for me. I've been itching for a good rally game on any platform. This should tide me over until CMR3 is released sometime this spring.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

awesome game... for the money it's a steal!

and for it's age, the detail (on the cars, especially) is amazing!

Tried the demo last night. Cool game. Demo is fairly limited though. Played well on my system with all the graphic features turned on and at 1280x1024.

One thing I noticed is those cars just love to skid around corners Takes some getting used to.