Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

A7N8X Deluxe Howto

Howdy - I just built an A7N8X Deluxe system (asus board).

Getting Linux to work properly with the hardware was not just a "plug and play" operation.

I wrote a small howto that some of you may enjoy - it should be applicable to other nforce/nforce2 boards as well.

The distro I used is Red Hat but this should generally work with anything:

http://homepage.mac.com/mpeters/A7N8X/

Enjoy
    To err is human.
    To really screw up requires root.

Great! This should get sticky'ed
    i code therefore i am

Redhat 8.0

[http://www.amdforums.com/showthread...threadid=186950

Below are the instruction if you don't want to read the whole post...

Just to summarize what I did exactly so all you other linux newbies out there who don't want to read our 2 pages of posts can figure it out....

Here are the EXACT steps
    1. download the src.rpm file from www.nvidia.com
    2. stick it somewhere like in your home directory or something that is easy to navigate to in the terminal window
    3. navigate to it in the terminal window ex. cd /home
    4. do this command: rpmbuild --rebuild name_of_source_rpm --target=athlon
    5. pay attention to the line that begins with the word wrote. When it all finishes navigate yourself in the terminal to that directory.
    6. then type: rpm -Uvh entire_name_of_finished_rpm. If it says that a newer rpm exists, then type: rpm --force entire_name_of_finished_rpm
    7. Then add this line to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
    /sbin/modprobe nvaudio
    8. ALL DONE

Restart your machine and providing all goes well.... you will be another happy redhat 8 user just like me

To be honest - the reason I didn't like the NVidia src.rpm in the first place is because it has a poorly written spec file.

They do not define the BuildRoot macro yet they use DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT in the spec file, which means $RPM_BUILD_ROOT has no value.

This causes / to be the buildroot and as such you can not build the src.rpm as a non root user (I never compile anything as root - it's generally a VERY BAD IDEA to do anything as root that you don't have to) and it also means that the modules are installed into your LIVE kernel modules directory before being packaged into the rpm. Well- not for me, since I don't build RPM's as root

Secondly - they poorly define the permissions in the spec file, so that only root has permission to read the stuff in /usr/share/doc !

It's a spec file written by an amature.
    I fixed the spec file, and installed it, but even with NVidia's drivers installed - the performance was sucky because their drivers don't address the IDE issues - and hdparm -t gives you dismal results.

In the Alan Cox kernel patch to 2.4.20 that is addressed by the open source community, and a patch exists to enhance the IDE performance over the ac kernel.

So in this case, going with the drivers that NVidia provides may get you sound and may get the NVidia nic working - but the system will be slow due to the lack of good IDE bus drivers in the 2.4.18 kernel.

Also - the i810 driver for audio seems to be better (the sound quality seems better) - I don't know if that is improvements to the i810 driver in 2.4.20 or if other factors are involved.

But basically - you will get suctacular performance out of the IDE driver in Red Hat's kernel. If you want your disk access on an nforce board to be decent, you need to go with a 2.4.20 kernel with Alan Cox's patch.

I figure most people like fast disk access, which is why I posted the howto. You end up with a system that is superior to the stock kernel and NVidia drivers.
    To err is human.

I tried the 2.4.20 kernel but could not get it to work whatever I did. I tried using the redhat updater and it updated to the new kernel just fine, but for the life of me I could not get my nvidia drivers reinstalled. Where is this ide patch at? I have been noticing EXTREMELY slow ide performance. Have you got it all going with the latest kernel?

Link added to Some Usefull Links

Alright... question answered. I am now following your directions step for step... everything has gone well so far... and I have uninstalled my old drivers to boot. I am now however stuck on this line:

[user@host linux-2.4.20]$ cp /usr/src/`uname -r`/configs/kernel-2.4.18-athlon.config ./.config

NOTICE:be aware of the back ticks around the uname -r, and notice the dot in front of config - you need to copy it to be .config

I get this error: No such file or directory

My local user name is "Panzer" and I tried substituting it for 'uname' but got nothing but more errors.

oooooooooooh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I was just reading further ahead in the installation and I guess I must have missed this part....

I have the grub bootloader and you use the Lilo bootloader. Oh dear oh dear... I don't know the first thing about modifying grub to do the same thing you did in lilo. Oh dear... I have the feeling that this is going to be a very BOTCHED install.

uname -r returns your kernel version, not the current user name. Have you installed the kernel-source RPM matching the kernel version you are running? The command line in the "HOWTO" is broken, it uses `uname -r` in one place but 2.4.18 in other, so it won't work if you are using some other kernel version than Red Hat's original 2.4.18 kernel.
    Last edited by markkuk; 01-29-2003 at 03:02 PM.

[root@localhost folder]# rpm -q kernel
    kernel-2.4.18-14

Thats what I got So now what should I do?

cp /usr/src/kernel-2.4.18-4/configs/kernel-2.4.18-athlon.config ./.config

-=-
    ------quote---
    The command line in the "HOWTO" is broken, it uses `uname -r` in one place but 2.4.18 in other, so it won't work if you are using some other kernel version than Red Hat's original 2.4.18 kernel.
    ------/quote--

It's not broken if you are booting from Red Hat's kernel - redhat only has variants of the 2.4.18 kernel which is why having a 2.4.18 hard coded in there isn't an issue - that command with both the uname -r and the 2.4.18 WILL get you the proper path to the default config on any RH8 kernel install. Where the command has 2.4.18 hard coded in won't change in any of RH's 8.0 kernels.
    To err is human.

-------quote---
    I have the feeling that this is going to be a very BOTCHED install.
    -------/quote--

I might make an rpm for it - though if I do, it won't touch lilo or grub - but I'll see if I can find good grub instructions. I've heard it's even easier to work with than lilo. I've just never used it.
    To err is human.

Originally posted by BritishNemesis
    [root@localhost folder]# rpm -q kernel
    kernel-2.4.18-14

Thats what I got So now what should I do?
    Install kernel-source-2.4.18-14.i386.rpm

Originally posted by FunkyRes
    I might make an rpm for it - though if I do, it won't touch lilo or grub - but I'll see if I can find good grub instructions. I've heard it's even easier to work with than lilo. I've just never used it.
    The easiest way to install a new kernel in a RHL8 system is to use the /sbin/installkernel script, it will automatically make the necessary modifications in /boot/grub/grub.conf or /etc/lilo.conf. You could call it from a RPM, that's what Red Hat's kernel RPMs do.

Alright now I am frustrated... hehe....

So this part goes well... overwrites everything (I think) and then does the xconfig nicely... all done.
    cp: overwrite `./.config'? y
    [root@localhost linux-2.4.20]# make xconfig
    rm -f include/asm
    ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
    make -C scripts kconfig.tk
    make[1]: Entering directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/scripts'
    cat header.tk >> ./kconfig.tk
    ./tkparse < ../arch/i386/config.in >> kconfig.tk
    echo "set defaults \"arch/i386/defconfig\"" >> kconfig.tk
    echo "set ARCH \"i386\"" >> kconfig.tk
    cat tail.tk >> kconfig.tk
    chmod 755 kconfig.tk
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/scripts'
    wish -f scripts/kconfig.tk

All seems to have gone well there... then this starts....

[root@localhost linux-2.4.20]# make dep; make bzImage
    make[1]: Entering directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/arch/i386/boot'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `dep'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/arch/i386/boot'
    scripts/mkdep -- init/*.c > .depend
    scripts/mkdep -- `find /var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/include/asm /var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/include/linux /var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/include/scsi /var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/include/net /var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/include/math-emu \( -name SCCS -o -name .svn \) -prune -o -follow -name \*.h ! -name modversions.h -print` > .hdepend
    make _sfdep_kernel _sfdep_drivers _sfdep_mm _sfdep_fs _sfdep_net _sfdep_ipc _sfdep_lib _sfdep_arch/i386/kernel _sfdep_arch/i386/mm _sfdep_arch/i386/lib _FASTDEP_ALL_SUB_DIRS="kernel drivers mm fs net ipc lib arch/i386/kernel arch/i386/mm arch/i386/lib"
    make[1]: Entering directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20'
    make -C kernel fastdep
    make[2]: Entering directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/kernel'
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target `cpufreq.c', needed by `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/include/linux/modules/cpufreq.ver'. Stop.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20/kernel'
    make[1]: *** [_sfdep_kernel] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20'
    make: *** [dep-files] Error 2
    scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
    make -r -f tmp_include_depends all
    make[1]: Entering directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20'
    make[1]: tmp_include_depends: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `tmp_include_depends'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/kernelsource/linux-2.4.20'
    make: *** [tmp_include_depends] Error 2
    Last edited by BritishNemesis; 01-29-2003 at 06:48 PM.