Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68
  1. #46
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,371
    Well I bought my maxtor 8meg drive a tad ago after posting this thread. It sat for couple months and now I have it going with my new Nf2 mobo.

    I just installed everything last night and have not really played around yet, though am courious to see how things go.

    Anybody have a good benchmark program for checking drives?

    Next week I will order a SATA drive from newegg, and get that installed on the mobo to and see how that works...either maxtor or WD, still reading on them......

    One thing I love about the maxtor 8meg drive is the warranty....

    Again thanks bmw and ozzy for all the help you put forth, and to the others, your input was great.......

    Talk to ya later....
    socom18e

  2. #47
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by Socom18E
    Anybody have a good benchmark program for checking drives?

    Next week I will order a SATA drive from newegg, and get that installed on the mobo to and see how that works...either maxtor or WD, still reading on them......

    One thing I love about the maxtor 8meg drive is the warranty....

    Again thanks bmw and ozzy for all the help you put forth, and to the others, your input was great.......

    Talk to ya later....
    socom18e
    I'd double check the maxtor's warranty and/or the vendor's warranty again it that is important to you. The factory warranty isn't the same for all the sizes in the +9 lineup.

    Performance wise, you won't realize any significant performance gain unless ya go with WD's Raptor.

    I recommend two benchmark programs, ATTO and HDTach. Winbench 99 is another good one. Never bench a drive using Sandra.

  3. #48
    Joined
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,606
    Most of the 8MBs I see in retail for Maxtor carry a 1-year warrenty.

    They do have some that carry a 3-yr, but they are few and far between.

    Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

    Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

  4. #49
    Joined
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    368
    the retail ones have the 3-year warranty
    Email Heatware eBay

    FTP Server:
    - A64 3200+ - A8N-E - TwinX 1GB - Raptor 36GB - RocketRaid 2310 - 3x320 GB Seagate 7200.10 Raid 5 - X300 - XP-90 - Sunbeam NUUO - CM Stacker 810 - Windows MCE 05 -

    Living Room:
    - AXP 1800+ - MSI KT4 Ultra - Micron 1GB - WD 60 gb - TDK 8x DVD-RW - AX-7 w/ 80 cfm Delta - Cooler Master ATC-200 - MSI 6600GT VIVO - Windows Vista Ultimate -

    Linux Box:
    - AXP 1800+ - Abit KR7-A - Samsung 2x256 - IBM 20GB - Radeon 7500 - Space K-1 case -

  5. #50
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by CrAcK ROCK
    the retail ones have the 3-year warranty
    Not necessarily. Check the stickey about warranties and remember that any departurers from those warranty statements are from the vendor, not Maxtor.

  6. #51
    Joined
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,606
    Actually, on my box it says 3-year, but Maxtor told me that they would only honor 1 year, and then I would have to go through the vendor that sold it to me.

    I said that's fine, and I appreciate. The one thing I liked was Maxtor sent me an e-mail saying that the drive was indeed bad, and I forwarded it to my retailer, and they replaced the drive.

    I was very pleased with Maxtor.

    Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

    Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

  7. #52
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by ozzy983
    Actually, on my box it says 3-year, but Maxtor told me that they would only honor 1 year, and then I would have to go through the vendor that sold it to me.

    I said that's fine, and I appreciate. The one thing I liked was Maxtor sent me an e-mail saying that the drive was indeed bad, and I forwarded it to my retailer, and they replaced the drive.

    I was very pleased with Maxtor.

    Later,
    Oz
    Sheez, it gets more confusing by the day!

  8. #53
    Joined
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,606
    Originally posted by BWM
    Sheez, it gets more confusing by the day!
    You're right, BWM. They are confusing (warrenties that is), but Maxtor sent me that e-mail to forward to my retailer out of the kindness of their hearts. I was very happy and sent them a nice e-mail thanking them for their help, and they sent one back saying I was the first in a long time to send an e-mail of thanks.

    Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

    Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

  9. #54
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by ozzy983
    You're right, BWM. They are confusing (warrenties that is), but Maxtor sent me that e-mail to forward to my retailer out of the kindness of their hearts. I was very happy and sent them a nice e-mail thanking them for their help, and they sent one back saying I was the first in a long time to send an e-mail of thanks.

    Later,
    Oz
    Maxtor comes through again

  10. #55
    Joined
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,606
    Originally posted by BWM
    Maxtor comes through again
    Yup, it's true! I love them!

    Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

    Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

  11. #56
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,371
    Yes I thought at first my warranty would only be a year, though when compusa was running that sale on the 80gigger I bought one and checked with Maxtor on the warranty and found I was good till 2006!!!!!!!

    I was pretty happy about that......

    BWM am sorry about getting your name mixed up....Everytime I see your tag I think of BMW bikes...LOL

  12. #57
    Joined
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,606
    I find myself typing BMW sometimes instead of BWM.

    Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

    Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

  13. #58
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    I'll take it as a compliment guys. Makes me feel that I'm worth more than I really am!!

  14. #59
    Joined
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,606
    Originally posted by BWM
    I'll take it as a compliment guys. Makes me feel that I'm worth more than I really am!!
    You're being hard on yourself again. Your knowledge is worth its weight in gold my friend.

    I think it's about time you give yourself some credit.

    Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

    Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

  15. #60
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Age
    71
    Posts
    64,554
    Originally posted by ozzy983
    You're being hard on yourself again. Your knowledge is worth its weight in gold my friend.

    I think it's about time you give yourself some credit.

    Later,
    Oz
    Carefull now.... you'll make my head swell up again !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •