Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Not really Fuzzy. You can go to the M-audio site and other places and see pics. Ghost is getting that Terratac (sp). That's a shoot out I want to see. Revo vs. this card. They both use the same chip, that new Via chip. The "T" is more featured rich than the Revo. If the sound quaility is the same then "maybe" that's the card to go with now. Not the Revo. If the sound/software/other chips are not as good then that's another issue. Featured rich or not.

One thing that makes the Revo card well designed for some is the software. If you have any of the specific speakers that are listed by M-audio in the software, the software is auto set to maximize that speakers tonal range. I trust M-audio's ear over mine any day. Then you just tweak within those setting. I don't know if the Terratac has that. Something tells me that's the "extra effort" you get with M-audio.

The "T" has more whistles and bells, do you need them? That part I can't answer. I would look at both. If I have a minute, I'll see what I can find. I asked Ghost to send us something when he gets his installed. I wish someone would provide us with some gear to review. BUT not me

Go to Newegg and click the "see it" button. They show all the accessories.

Yeah, I know I can do that. I just love it when people take pics.
    -- Team |RH| @ Red-Hour --

Athlon 64 XP3200+ Soltek nForce3 250GB SL-K8AN2E-GR 512mb Twinmos DDR3200 Sapphire 9500Pro 128mb 2x 40gb Seagate 'Cuda's 2x 100gb WD's LiteOn SOHW-812S DVD+/-RW & LTR-52327S CD-RW Audigy 2 w/ Zalman 5.1 cans Coolermaster Praetorian w/ Antec True480

Apple G4 1ghz "Quicksilver" 1.5gb PC133 nVidia GeForce4 MX440 64mb 80gb 'Cuda 160gb "Cuda Pioneer DVR-108 Zip 250 2x M-Audio Delta66 w/ Omni Studio Berhinger Truth B2031A Studio Monitors

Thanks for the review!

I have been waiting for a review like this. I am sold. Just ordered the card and the price has now risen to $99 at newegg, but still a better price than the Audigy2. Thanks for the review, Jim!
    System Specs:
    MB:Asus K8N NF3 250Gb; CPU: A64 3400 (Clawhammer); Mem: 2x512MB Corsair Value Select HD: Samsung 1604N PATA; Video: Egva 6800gt;
    Fan&Hs: Tt Silent Boost K8; Case&P/S: Antec PerformanceII with Sparkle 550W(35A on 12V rail)
    Bios: 11/26/2004; O/S: WinXpPro(Sp2); Sound: Audigy2 ZS; PVR: WinTV-PVR 350(Hauppauge); Optical Drives: LiteOn DVDRW SOHW-1633S LiteOn DVD SOHD-167T

The drivers are not perfect, many issues have been reported to M-audio and they are working on the drivers. This is bleeding edge technology so expect some hiccups. I still stand by my original statements. The sound is beyond awesome. So much in fact I just upgraded to Klipsch 5.1. This card and Klipsch produce incredible sound.

Software some real issues

After really putting this card through some real tests I want to revise my review. No, I'm not backing up on the audio quality. It's 1st rate, no question.

Still, those who are considering this card should be aware of some factors.

It's the drivers/software. While I am confident that M-audio will fix these, there are some real world issues. It's not just me, my configuation, computer or conflicting software. The entire Revo population is having the same type problems. M-Audio has a list of known software issues. Popping during boot, DVD playback, BSOD every now and then, audio "in" is like watching a movie dubbed in another language. It's out of sync. The installation problem I encountered seems the norm. There are bugs, some more serious than others. M-Audio has a list of known issues.

I still stand by my original comments. However, those who expect the software to work perfectly in all situations may be frustrated. Is my card coming out? NO WAY. I'll wait for upgrade in drivers. Others may elect to wait until new drivers avail themselves. The latest drivers and the one's I have installed are dated 1-17-03. They are bug laden in certain feature sets. It's unfortunate that such great audio quality cannot be used in all situations at present. Just a head up for those considering this card for now. I hope to be able to report "issues resolved" soon. All I can report now is "issues are real" and I understand that the "issues have been reported to M-audio".

Those of us who have the card now and have issues:

The M-audio tech support contact for the Revo is Calvin Banks - Technical Support Manager at (626) 445-7556 9:00 am - 5:00 pm PST.

e-mail: http://www.m-audio.com/support/email/mailform.php

Mailing Address:
    M-Audio
    45 East Saint Joseph Street
    Arcadia, CA 91006 USA

New hardware!

With just about any new hardware on the market there are going to be driver issues, I am only going to use this card for my Mp3 Jukebox that I have in my garage. Hopefully the initial drivers for WinXp will be good enough to do that, but I'll have to be patient. I know from experience. I ordered a set of Klipsch PM 5.1's and they lasted 20 minutes before the system crapped out. My second set of PM 5.1's have been working for about a month.
    System Specs:
    MB:Asus K8N NF3 250Gb; CPU: A64 3400 (Clawhammer); Mem: 2x512MB Corsair Value Select HD: Samsung 1604N PATA; Video: Egva 6800gt;
    Fan&Hs: Tt Silent Boost K8; Case&P/S: Antec PerformanceII with Sparkle 550W(35A on 12V rail)
    Bios: 11/26/2004; O/S: WinXpPro(Sp2); Sound: Audigy2 ZS; PVR: WinTV-PVR 350(Hauppauge); Optical Drives: LiteOn DVDRW SOHW-1633S LiteOn DVD SOHD-167T

It will be great for that. I'm trying to make a HTPC out of this card so there are issues. Wait until you get a load of your K 5.1's and this card. OMG! I might suggest securing those things a little better on the walls in your garage. hehe This card brings out the best in the Klipsch and as we both know that's pretty good to say the least. You'll be fine. Hopefully "M" will get on the stick and fix the drivers. Fuzzyuu says they don't release drivers very often so that concerns me a little but with all the issues they need to get the card working in ALL functions as advertised or at least start submitting some fixes to show their intent. If they don't then I'm afraid people will start RMAing the card. That would be a shame for both M-audio, the consumer and the retailers IMHO. It's a great card.

I have a test tone generator. I ran a test at 15hz. You can faintly hear it. 20hz is supposed to be the specs on the card. It's all there and then some.

http://www.esser.u-net.com/ttg.htm

Originally posted by Joe Lacy
    . Fuzzyuu says they don't release drivers very often so that concerns me a little but with all the issues they need to get the card working in ALL functions as advertised or at least start submitting some fixes to show their intent.
    Wouldn't worry about it too much. They just havent released tons of drivers. But when they do, sweeping fixes.
    -- Team |RH| @ Red-Hour --

Athlon 64 XP3200+ Soltek nForce3 250GB SL-K8AN2E-GR 512mb Twinmos DDR3200 Sapphire 9500Pro 128mb 2x 40gb Seagate 'Cuda's 2x 100gb WD's LiteOn SOHW-812S DVD+/-RW & LTR-52327S CD-RW Audigy 2 w/ Zalman 5.1 cans Coolermaster Praetorian w/ Antec True480

Apple G4 1ghz "Quicksilver" 1.5gb PC133 nVidia GeForce4 MX440 64mb 80gb 'Cuda 160gb "Cuda Pioneer DVR-108 Zip 250 2x M-Audio Delta66 w/ Omni Studio Berhinger Truth B2031A Studio Monitors

Great review Joe, thanks.

I have Klipsch PM5.1 speakers so it's good to hear they make a great combo with this card. I have been using a GameTheaterXP for about 1.5 years now. I recently got an Asus nforce2 board and I love the technology behind the nvidia MCP-T, but from what I have experienced the analog outs sound like crap. I have heard the digital out is much better, but I don't have a DD reciever so...

On a side note, when is the Terratic(sp?) Space7.1 due to arrive, or will it be available in USA at all? I noticed it was a dutch/german company?

It seems that I will be getting a card based on this chip, but I'm not a big fan of finicky drivers, although I might be able to live with it given a big increase in sound quality.

Terratac DMx6 fire is more expensive than the Revo. Includes a break out box. If you look out on the web you can read some reviews. We should have some reviews on it here in a couple of days.

Yes, MCP-T AKA soundstorm I suppose is better than no noise at all. I have it on my board. Analog was not very exciting. I'm not sure where they come up with = to Audigy. Everyone's ears are different I guess.

I'm telling you it like it is on the drivers on the Revo. I sent an e-mail to MA requesting a date of revised drivers today. I haven't gotten a response yet. When and if I do, I'll be sure and post.

Joe,
    Totally agree with your comments. I doubt I'll trade this card with anything else. It just sounds to good to give up. Personally I haven't had the pops , etc problems others have experienced and I'm more than satisfied with DVD's etc. Guess I've been lucky, so far. I've sent some emails to M and I hope they get things straightened out. Great posts by you .
    ASUS A7V8X mobo/AMD 2200+
    Kingston 1024mb 2700DDR
    Thermalright Sk7/YSTech 80mm fan
    Truepower 430watt psu
    Radeon 800XL Pro 256meg
    3 case fans
    4-Maxtor 80G drives
    Liteon DVD player
    Lite-on 48x24x48CDRW
    MAudio Revolution 7.1 soundcard
    Viewsonic A90f+
    MOMO Force wheel/pedals

"If speed kills, I hope it's in a Ferrari"

Thanks krellnor,

I'm installing Win XP and see if I can rid myself of some of the issues. Xp being maybe a little more mulitmedia friendly may help we'll soon see.

A fresh install of Xp was interesting. M-audio's software does not install the card under winxp as it does in 2000. You have to go into device manager and force it to find the driver even though you have the "M" in the taskbar. To make things even more interesting the "M" won't open up the control panel until you do this. Xp does find them finally...thankfully.

If your running input jack and enable monitoring (i.e. running your stereo TV into the card) Win XP plays your Klipsch 5.1's but in two channel. Windows 2000 would NOT play at all in Klipsch 5.1 mode and you had to be in Game mode still 2 channel and no 5.1 in either. Still have the latency issue. (lip sync) issues in XP as in 2000. No change there. In XP you get bleed. If you are putting your TV sound though the card and playing a CD you hear the TV. Windows 2000 I did not hear the TV as I recall.

Knowing I was going to wipe this drive and re-install everything over again on XP, I installed WMP 9, DX9. Sounds really bad for some reason. Distorts. Still pops during systems boot. Scares my dog! He's 40 lb's and needs his nails cut. HELP M-audio!

BTW, WMP9 won't play DVD's either unless you have the decoder. Cost money to download it. I have Windvd so I guess "maybe" you could install WinDVD, leave it on the system and then install WMP9. I don't know if that quailfies as having the decoder or if WMP9 finds it. Not an Revo issue I know and OT but thought I would pass that on.

I'm going to write zero's to this drive and re-install XP, Music jukebox and get back to normal...and wait for M-audio to send drivers to the rescue. Xp didn't make matters any better than 2000 really. I was hoping a fresh install would help matters given that fact I had TBSC, SBlive!, A2 and Revo drivers installed/deinstalled on this partition. I found that wasn't the case. Ugh.

Thumbs up

This is actually looking pretty good for me. I will be using this card mostly for listening to mucic CDs and MP3s. I will use it for DVDs and games as well but they are not nearly as important as music. DVD Audio would be nice as a future proofing, but as of now I don't even have any so that's not a big issue either. Hopfully they will get that fixed by the time I start thinking about buying any DVD-As.

Unfortunately I have to hold on for a while because my MB crapped out on me (Asus A7N8X) and I'm waiting for the RMA.

OT: Hey Joe, what program do you use to write zeros to your drive?