Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Actually, news around the world is not all the same. When you're abroad, you hear much more news about the world community than you do in the States. Been there, seen that. When something international is in the news, you can bet it's something the US is involved with (today, that would be Iraq or North Korea).

But, as for many of the views expressed here as far as distasteful newscasts during events like this, I tend to agree. The problem is that people expect new news all the time... and since CNN is on for 24 hours, they have to come up with everything they possibly can. How much can be said about an incident that took seconds? In reality, not that much. Thus, they get into the gory details in order to keep something, *anything*, on the air.
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    --from "Ulysses", Tennyson

RADIO FREE EUROPE DIRECT TV HUGHES COMMUNICATIONS RCA SONY HEWLETT PACKARD MICROSTAR ASUS NEWEGG COX CABLE GENERAL ELECTRIC PHILLIPS MAGNAVOX TIMELIFE CBS NBC ABC PNY MUSHKIN CENTON CIRCUIT CITY BEST BUY COMPUSA NETZERO EARTHLINK MSN AOL AMBLIN ENTERTAINMENT MGM RKO HUGHES TOOL AND DIE This commercial bought to by DIRECWAYand BIGDADDY51.com compliments of CL&P and SNET. ALL of the ABOVE are TOP SHELF PEOPLE to deal with and sell a QUALITY product. and are contributing to this WORLDWIDE broadcast.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Originally posted by Gil-galad

How much can be said about an incident that took seconds? In reality, not that much. Thus, they get into the gory details in order to keep something, *anything*, on the air.
    Therein lies a major problem (IMHO) with US media outlets: facts have given way to conjecture. Also, the networks have a habit of sensationalizing what little is known about any given situation, in an attempt to secure viewership. It is as much about ratings as it is about reporting the event. Tact is rarely employed when reporting on any tragedy, and this was no exception. Unfortunately, if you want an unfiltered and unbiased account of this event, people will need to look somewhere beside conventional news outlets such as CNN and MSNBC.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Originally posted by SnowySnail
    The media doesn't have a responsibility to report jack. Every day hundreds of children die of starvation or malnutrition. Do we ever hear about them? Then seven people die. Seven people. And it’s heard about all across North America. Why do we hear about this? Because companies like CNN wan't you to watch the two minute commercial break in-between the show. That way they make money and get richer well the poor get poorer. It's capitalism not a responsibility.
    Actually, ppl, like it or not, snowysnail makes a good point. It is a good synopsis, albeit a bit cynical, of the reality of the situation.

That is not to say they don't care, as human beings I am sure they do, but business is business.

Originally posted by nuke

That is not to say they don't care, as human beings I am sure they do, but business is business.
    ...and business isn't particularly good for CNN's parent, AOL Time Warner, in a year that saw the conglomerate report a staggering $99 billion(!) in losses. When you have business analysts pondering the long-term viability of 24-hour news networks, due to a lack of revenue generated and competition with other outlets such as MSNBC, this could put CNN in a precarious position.

Someone brought up an interesting point a while back regarding CNN and how the news is presented, i.e. it sees itself competing for ratings with other cable networks. One also has to remember that CNN Headline News was given a facelift not too long ago, which included a news ticker, in an attempt to boost viewership with a younger audience. Basically, they're pandering to a younger audience who has a shorter attention span, being informed with sound bytes; do they think this is responsible journalism? I guess the bigger question is: do they even care whether the public is properly informed or not?
    Last edited by PrivatePixel; 02-03-2003 at 12:02 PM.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Originally posted by PrivatePixel
    ...and business isn't particularly good for CNN's parent, AOL Time Warner, in a year that saw the conglomerate report a staggering $99 billion(!) in losses.
    LOL!! NASA's loss is CNN's salvation. A war in Iraq couldn't hurt either, I suppose, if you are CNN!

I guess the bigger question is: do they even care whether the public is properly informed or not?
    Hmm, good ?. Remember though, business is business.

CNN sucks. They think they do a good job, when in fact its all bs.

Their version, or interpretation of news is flawed, and I refuse to agree with the nature of their manipulation of society.

I don't know if any of you saw this on FOX New Channel, they were the first to show that charred helmet. Well, the very first time it aired, they showed the camera zoom INTO the helmet from the front and my wife and I both let out a shocked gasp as you could see hair, yes hair, and skin melted onto the back of the helmet. The first thing I said after my wife was like, was that hair?!, was yeah, and I can't believe they just showed that! I was shocked, but later it was obvious, the editors had not caught it that very first showing, becuase when they reshowed it ten minutes later and every time and ever station thereafter, they always show the camera zooming out AFTER he zoomed it, with an obvious edit out of the film showing the interior. I think that was very honest on there part to cut that out as soon as someone at the station realized what they had just shown. (FYI, the hair was a black and grayish color and short, from one of the caucasian males.)