Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    D Tamer - if you have any more friends that want to dump some hardware let me know lol, 40 bucks for a KT333 D+ is a steal. I emailed a contact at Soyo tech support about 2 weeks ago and he confirmed that this board will support the Barton cores when they are released in a few weeks. A bios update will be out shortly, but not before the official AMD announcement.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5
    (3) AMD FX8350 CPU's @4.5GHZ

Cool,..I get these deals from hookups from knowing so many gamers, techies that I have met, that are themselves switching around alot sometimes. That was a rare deal for sure. Sometimes I get them from builder friends that can't get the mobos stable, and I make a deal like a heat sink (I have many) plus some cash, or sdram for thier older PC or sisters, mom's PC. Almost always as long as it boots to windows, if I work with it a while, I get it to run fine. Nice about the SYKT333+ support. That's why I jumped on this thing. He has another ECS K7S5A Pro (usb2.0) that locks too, he got that from newegg about a week ago, I'll be hitting him up for that one soon---with a ten and a twenty in hand---makes him forget about RMA real quick...

D-Tamer - did you ever think about a career in high finance .
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5

got a 2100+ TbredB today
    axda2100dut3c
    aiuhb 0301
    Had the last beta bios
    Set everything to default, installed new cpu and nothing. HDD light just stayed on steady, no power light, no beeps, nothing.

Cleared CMOS with same result. Reinstalled old cpu, flashed bios to the 2ba6, with specified switches, installed new cpu, HDD light was steady, no beeps, Power light blinked, but no boot.

Tried everything i have read in here, even setting the L11 bridges for 1.85v, could never get a post.

Probobly pick up a A7N8X, screw soyo, this board was always very glitchy

Got my A7N8X today, works great, havent tried overclocking yet though.

I removed my soyo and looked it over, one thing to note is there are two rows of capacitors in front of them ddr slots. These capacitors are leaking on my board and the tops look like they are about to pop.

Guess was good timing.

FatalOE - If your going to dispose of your dragon board, let me know; I need another board to practice on.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5

Just gonna sell it on ebay see what I can get.

On a side note, when I tried overclocking my new setup it would always boot up at 600mhz.

Had to replace cmos battery to solve issue, currently running at 2380mhz.

acajka: I would like to thank you. I did the mod you sugested on my D+ and now my 2400+ works (it wasnt working before that).
    I soldered a 1000mfd 10v capacitor at elc28, removed c130 and powered it up and everything was perfect =)

Thanks alot

nlz242 - glad to hear that your D+ board is now working with the Tbred 2400+ chip. In about six months when the cpu chip fire sale starts, you can move up to a 2600+ if you desire. I have a bench unit D+ running a 2600+ chip OCed to a 2700 for the past 2 months now without any problems. Removing C130 is the mod that lets the voltage regulator drop down to the proper voltage for the Tbreds. Adding the cap at ELC28 stablizes the board when running higher clocked cpu chips. This applies to any high speed cpu not just the Tbreds. I'd be curious to know what Soyo charges to perform these 20 minute mods.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5

acajka: Well, the mod was not hard to perform, but you gotta have the right tools, i used a 30w iron to "pierce" the holes for the elc28... for the + side of the capacitor, this was easy... but for the - side of the capacitor, the iron was not powerful enough, the ground was disipating the heat before the solder was melted... But still i succeed in doing it... but i dont have mad soldering skillz

Anyway thanks alot

-Cq

I've got two boards that are running great, have been since day one. One is a stickered, the other silked, as they were purchased about two months apart. I would like to try this mod to use the faster processors.

Ok, the cap mount is super easy to find, but where is c130 located ? I looked for it, but alas, I could not find it.
    A schematic or picture of its location would be great.

For all who desire, here is how to locate C130 on the D+ board:
    With the board out of the case and in hand, orient it so the ram dimm sockets and drive ribbon connectors are closest to you. The onboard I/O connectors will be facing rearward away from you. First, locate ELC28; this is where the added cap needs to be mounted with the negative side facing into the center of the board. ELC28 is located in the rear right hand corner of DIMM socket #3 next to the dimm locking clip and one of the D+ board mounting holes. Just about inline with ELC28 and about 1 inch further back towards the PS2 connectors you will see one of the 4 holes for mounting large hs/fan units. This is on the right hand side of the cpu socket. About 1/2 inch in front of and directly in line with this mounting hole is where C130 is mounted. It has only 2 solder points. Directly in front of C130 is a transistor with 3 solder mounted points; 2 on the left and 1 on the right. Also, on the left side of C130 is a resistor network with 8 solder contact points. These parts are very small, so a magifying glass is handy. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by andyc52; 02-23-2003 at 05:55 PM.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5

Question

For lack of any local resource, I went to Radio Shack to try and find the right capacitor for elc 28.

The closest that they had was a radial capacitor of the 1000 mfd size and under that it says " 16WVDC maximum". I understand the VDC but not the W in there. Will this work for the modification.

Wayne

Big Johnson - the WVDC stands for (working volts dc). Any cap from 1000mfd to 2200mfd will work as long as the physical size will allow it to fit in the allotted space on the D+ board. In fact, the bigger in mfd the better the results. So if the Radio Shack part will fit on the board, you will be fine. If you can't find a cap that has the right physical size, here is where I buy my small repair parts from:

Digi-Key Electronics
    800-344-4539
    their part # is P10228-ND panasonic 1500mfd-10v fc series 105c
    cost is about $1.25

You will need bios version 2BA7 to correctly ID your new cpu, and you MUST clear the cmos after EVERY cpu change.
    Last edited by andyc52; 02-25-2003 at 08:06 PM.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5