Paralel vs Serial

What??
    only slight performance increase for SATA drives??

do you guys believe this?
    PC Magazine - Speed Up Your PC

and this one

I'd say the margin is soo little, can we feel the difference?
    Last edited by dieter; 03-04-2003 at 12:40 AM.
    | XP1800+ JIUHB @2.3GHz w/ SLK900U-Enermax 92mm | ABIT NF7-S v2.0 L12 mod | 2x256MB KHX PC3200 | BenQ DW1620 | Plextor 401240A | Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro | Antec TP550 | Lian Li PC60U |

Why should there be a difference at all?

This is what everyone is saying. Currently limited by IDE133 interface for burst and disk rotational speed for sustained throughput. Wait a year or two and we'll see some real speed.

Re: Paralel vs Serial

Originally posted by dieter
    What??
    only slight performance increase for SATA drives??
    SATA is an interface spec, not a hard drive performance guarantee. SATA is supposedly going to be introduced in stages with each being faster that the one before but more than anything else, its up to the drive manufacturers to produce drives that fulfill the promise. Given that ATA-133 performance is still a pipe dream, I wouldn't look for the promise of SATA to be met any time soon.

Re: Paralel vs Serial

The performance increase anyone is really seeing right now is lower CPU usage, but not in all systems.

ALL serial ATA controllers at this time run over the PCI bus. The "official" SATA spec does not, so that probably makes a difference also.

I still can't "feel" the difference between ATA66 and ATA100 (I've ran my current drive on both). The only thing I see is better peak throughput in benchmarks. Current HD technology just isn't enough to make much use of these higher speed interfaces.

Prime
    Heat eBay

Disclaimer: If I post a link it doesn't necessarily mean I endorse or am even familiar with the site. It might just be that I did your work for you and found it on Google. Click at your own risk. Thank you.

Yes, the hard drives themselves sorely need a big technological breakthrough, like solid state technology.
    -soplcod