Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    -=Tawcan=- Guest

Question High frequency sound on HD?

My HD seems to be making some sort of high frequency sound... it's the spinning motor I think.... right now I've moved the HD to the back of the case so the noise is a bit absorbed by the fan noises.

Any idea what might be causing this? When I shut down the computer the HD would spin for like ummm 15 seconds before it totally turn off. Is there something wrong with my HD?

First suspect is the spindle motor if it is a whining sort of noise. Otherwise it can be other things so please describe what it sounds like as best as you can. Especially if it is an IBM drive.

-=Tawcan=- Guest
    It's a maxtor 60G liquid bearing drive.

Ummm it's kinda the sound of a spinning HD but at a higher pitch/frequency.

I had a WD800 JB that had a high pitched whine, and was clicking too. RMA'ed it. Even the WD diagnostics said it was bad and to return it.

Pretty cool that a manufacturers utility would tell you to return/service the drive.

Subtle hint to try the manufacturers diagnostics utility.

Good luck..

Originally posted by Tawcan
    It's a maxtor 60G liquid bearing drive.

Ummm it's kinda the sound of a spinning HD but at a higher pitch/frequency.
    It's spindle motor noise. Higher pitch is typical of liquid bearings. Volume is a very subjective sort of thing. If it started all of a sudden then I'd RMA the drive. You'll have to be the judge of how loud it is but I wouldn't accept a whine as loud as it would be with ball bearings. Ya paid for quiet