Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    54

    I need to build a new computer. Help.

    What's the latest in the budget computer these days? I built a cheap ECS computer a year back with the help of this forum but I need another computer that will just run wordperfect, connect to the internet, and play counterstrike. That's the priority right now.

    What motherboard should I look at? I just want to build a system without monitor for under $500.

    The real main thing I need to know is what's the best budget motherboard/AMD combo, video card? (under $100), and memory (Ram?).

  2. #2
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,178
    Prices taken from:
    http://www.newegg.com

    xp1700 Thoroughbred "B"$52
    ECS K7S5A Pro $59
    Radeon 9000 Pro $90
    256 megs Crucial pc2100 $34

    TOTAL= $235

  3. #3
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    54
    Thanks,

    Kind of figure the ECS is the cheapest. I built the same specs but with a different video card (GeForce). So is the Radeon much better than the GeForce $ for $?

  4. #4
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Danville,Ca
    Posts
    698
    Why not go nforce2? MSI K7N2L for $90(and stay away from the sis chipset) and add a XP2100 for about $75. You can still fit that in under $500 and maybe even get a Radeon 9500 as well at $135. Cases and power supplies are very cheap as as well.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,723
    o make the video card 7500

  6. #6
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,178
    Originally posted by DanteInCali
    Why not go nforce2? MSI K7N2L for $90(and stay away from the sis chipset) and add a XP2100 for about $75. You can still fit that in under $500 and maybe even get a Radeon 9500 as well at $135. Cases and power supplies are very cheap as as well.
    To play Counter Strike? Read his requirements.....

    SIS chipset is VERY stable. If he were to even consider an nForce both the Epox & Abit own the MSI. As does the Asus.

    A cheap ps for an nForce2? LOL, it gets better by the minute.
    Last edited by Drew U; 03-14-2003 at 10:13 AM.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    54
    NOw confused about video cards? Why 7500?

  8. #8
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,178
    Originally posted by dattack
    Thanks,

    Kind of figure the ECS is the cheapest. I built the same specs but with a different video card (GeForce). So is the Radeon much better than the GeForce $ for $?
    Its vastly better. The image quality difference is stunning. If you can afford another $100 I do suggest the 9500 Pro. If u get it I'll link you to a warp 11 bios flash for the 9500 Pro. Once you flash it you can use a utility like Riva Tuner or Powerstrip to run it beyond Radeon 9700 Pro specs.

    The ATI Radeon 9500 Pro is about $200.

  9. #9
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,178
    Originally posted by dattack
    NOw confused about video cards? Why 7500?
    Thats a real lowend card, forget that.

    No dx 9 support.

  10. #10
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,723
    its cheaper and i saw a Geforce2 get 100fps on CS (cs only allows ~100) and the Geforce4 MX are basicly souped up geforce 2, and that 7500 is about the same performance and price as the GeForce4 MX-440 64MB DDR

  11. #11
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,178

  12. #12
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,723
    Originally posted by Drew U
    Thats a real lowend card, forget that.

    No dx 9 support.

    what are you talking about...?
    my ATI Rage Mobility 8MB supports dx9, and its a RAGE and its MOBIL

    what a good compination, crappy series turned crappier by mobility

  13. #13
    Joined
    Feb 2002
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    5,192
    I'd check out the Epox 8RGA, it is a NF2 board with onboard AGP, NIC, and sound.

    Costs more, but cheaper in the long run. A great overclocker too, if you want to pursue that avenue.
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D, 165 Opteron. 9x275 1:1, OCZ 3200 2x512 TCCD, Sapphire X800GTO Fireblade, Raptor 74, Benq 1640, Liteon 166S DVD, Antec 660 Perf.+, Fortron Blue 500, Viewsonic VX910, XPsp2, Herc. GTXP 6.1, Z640

  14. #14
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,178
    Originally posted by palmboy5
    what are you talking about...?
    my ATI Rage Mobility 8MB supports dx9, and its a RAGE and its MOBIL

    what a good compination, crappy series turned crappier by mobility
    Radeon 7500 has no dx8.1 support NOR dx9

    Rage Mobility? Why discuss mobility cards for a desktop, lol?

  15. #15
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,723
    Originally posted by Drew U
    Radeon 7500 has no dx8.1 support NOR dx9

    Rage Mobility? Why discuss mobility cards for a desktop, lol?
    because even that old crappy one can take dx9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •