Page 158 of 158 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158
Results 2,356 to 2,369 of 2369

Re: The "Milestone" Bar

This thing needs a bump, and in keeping with the original intent to keep it non-political I'm throwing out a challenge. Come up with a good-natured explanation for someone else's screen name, and tell us about your own.

Oh, and if you *really* want a good laugh, go back through a few pages of this thread. Even with the diametrically opposed views, people managed to get along and maintain a level of respect. Our politicians could learn a thing or two from it. . .

I'll start:

OTOC: Other than obvious contradictions
    Dutchcedar: He's actually german, but being dense as a cedar he forgot

myv65: Not very original, it's my old bike, as in 1986 Honda V65 Magna. Doesn't get much use anymore, but still going strong at 29+ years old and ~40,000 miles. Was still in the shipping crate when I bought it one month after graduating high school. Had a '79 CX500 Deluxe, but had a little trouble one night when a great dane decided to cross the road in front of me on a country road. It's really amazing how slow-mo the whole thing seemed at the time, and even nearly 30 years later I can remember the sensation of barrel rolling down the asphalt and landing flat on my back in the bottom of a ditch. Even more amazing? I walked away with little more than a few scratches. Helmet was toast, was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and wind breaker pants, also all toast. Pays to be lucky once in a while.

Well, I am Dutch. I'm from Rotterdam, came here when I was about six. There's rumor of a German in the fray a few generations back, but the family denies it.

On my first forum experience, I tried for "dutch" but it was taken, so I added "cedar" because we live in area called Cedar Ridge.

I'd wager most forum monikers came from off the wall silliness like ours did.

I thought mv65 stood for most valued senior citizen. I stand corrected.
    George Carlin
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

I have to admit a lack of creativity creating my "name". My first name is Frank and I was born in 1946. As to my avatar I've been driving Jeeps for years.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Tucker is a longtime nickname my bests friend's dad was the first to call me Tucker. I have no idea why maybe I reminded him of someone from the past. A nickname I've had for over 50 years. My middle name is Timothy I go by Tim. The youngest of four boys the family Timmy the neighborhood Timmy. Timmy where's Lassie? Tiny Tim sing Tiptoe Through The Tulips. It ain't easy being a Timmy. Been called worse though. How about Sweet Pea or Buttercup. One of my brothers has a warped sense of humor.
    “What Happened”...

I'll let my posts tell you who I am and what it means. But if it helps-

I saw this act when I was much younger. It helped get me started with my FU attitude to all the BS in this system. From it I learned that saying and doing the right thing didn't always have to be ... nice. The "funny" part about this was ... I didn't laugh much at all.

See my sig ....
    Last edited by Skennar; 12-17-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.

Every once in awhile a Carlin reality check is in order.

I started driving big rigs over the road in 1974, then CBs came out and I needed a "handle", since that is what I did, I became "the wanderer". Still my handle and continue to enjoy the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Skennar View Post
    I'll let my posts tell you who I am and what it means. But if it helps-

I saw this act when I was much younger. It helped get me started with my FU attitude to all the BS in this system. From it I learned that saying and doing the right thing didn't always have to be ... nice. The "funny" part about this was ... I didn't laugh much at all.....
    It's more like a college economics lecture than a comedy skit.
    "Walk Heavy, Stand Tall, Carry a Big Stick"
    Daily Driver - ASUS Z170-AR i7 6700, 16G RAM - Liquid Cooled
    Print/File Server - ASUS A7V880 XP-3200 Barton
    System Specifications

A good six or seven years ago, we put a jump panel next to our main power so we could run most of the house off of a generator. And then, of course, we never lost power again. Until today. Well shlt... old gas and all... it took a bit (draining gas with Tyson tubing from old water cooling rigs is a snap), but we're off the grid until they get the power back and running a generator is the bomb... hot showers and cold beer.

Booyah!!!

We got a foot of snow overnight.

^^^ Niceeeeee.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    A good six or seven years ago, we put a jump panel next to our main power so we could run most of the house off of a generator. And then, of course, we never lost power again. Until today. Well shlt... old gas and all... it took a bit (draining gas with Tyson tubing from old water cooling rigs is a snap), but we're off the grid until they get the power back and running a generator is the bomb... hot showers and cold beer.

Booyah!!!

It's so nice to have operational generators when the weather gets schitty and the electricity goes offline. I wired a 10.5KW into the whole friggin' house. Have a 3KW backup just in case. Weather goes to crap, I don't care - plenty of cuban cigars, premium coffee, satellite TV with many hours of favorite shows on the DVR - lots of milk bones on tap for the doggies too. When it goes out now, all the houses around me are dark, streetlights out, and my place is lit up like nothing happened - even the front yard LED floods.

Had a 3 day outage 6-8 years ago and that's the one where I had to empty refrigerator and take showers in the dark in a cold house. No mas.
    Last edited by SteveW; 01-22-2017 at 02:42 AM.
    "Walk Heavy, Stand Tall, Carry a Big Stick"
    Daily Driver - ASUS Z170-AR i7 6700, 16G RAM - Liquid Cooled
    Print/File Server - ASUS A7V880 XP-3200 Barton
    System Specifications

Yeah... for us it was a four or five day thing that had us going to a hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post

Booyah!!!

When hurricane Ike came through, my part of town was without power for just over two weeks. Well, to be accurate, the area around my house was, I have a generator to run the entire house. Washed clothes, ran the central AC, cooked, everything. The only house within a mile that had power. Damn, it was rough, but someone had to do it.