Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Question Linux newbie questions

Just installed Mandrake 9.0 tonight and I'm playing around. I'm using KDE as the graphical interface. Anyway, I got some (lots) questions...

1. How do I change refresh rate? Right now it's always 1024*768 @ 60 MHz. That just kills my eyes. I need it to be at 85 MHz.

2. When I use Konqurer I get error message trying to come to the forum. Why is that?

3. I know you can use a program for instant messages (forgot what it's called). How do I set it up so I could use both ICQ & MSN? MSN isn't enabled right now.

That's all for now folks. Thanx.

Re: Linux newbie questions

Originally posted by Tawcan
    Just installed Mandrake 9.0 tonight and I'm playing around. I'm using KDE as the graphical interface. Anyway, I got some (lots) questions...

1. How do I change refresh rate? Right now it's always 1024*768 @ 60 MHz. That just kills my eyes. I need it to be at 85 MHz.

2. When I use Konqurer I get error message trying to come to the forum. Why is that?

3. I know you can use a program for instant messages (forgot what it's called). How do I set it up so I could use both ICQ & MSN? MSN isn't enabled right now.

That's all for now folks. Thanx.
    1. You may have to go in to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change the hsync and vrefresh settings, you should find your monitor's specs in the documentation or the manufacturer's website

2. Hard to help with out the actual error message Although, I think its probably complaining about no flash plugin... I don't use kde or konq so I'm not sure where the plugin needs to go. If I missed the problem just post the error message.

3. Gaim is the best Linux IM client IMO. Go to plugins, load the libmsn.so then in accounts you should be able select msn when you create a new account. You can have it run several accounts at the same time kinda like trillian does.
    i code therefore i am

An error occured while loading http://www.amdforums.com/:

Connection to host www.amdforums.com is broken

That's the error I get with Konq.

I can't seem to find Gaim. I guess I didn't install it.

Is it part of Gnome interface or?

Still can't get refresh to work.... went to that file but just see bunch #'s...

Gotta love vague error messages

Not sure on what version of KDE Mandrake 9 ships with, but I know konq versions before 3.1 have an as of yet unknown problem with these boards I would recommned useing a different browser or update to kde 3.1 (Konq 3.1 has tabs and stuff too )

Gaim is a gtk app and as such shares some libraries with GNOME, but it will work fine in KDE and its not nessesary to install all of GNOME

Scoll down to the "Monitor" section in the config a file and see if HorizSync and VertRefresh are the same as your manufacturer's specs. Linux should automaticly use the best available resolution (based on monitor and videa card). However, you can lie on HorizSync and VertRefresh and run your monitor out spec. This can damage the monitor and I don't recommend it.

Originally posted by Eggs
    Scoll down to the "Monitor" section in the config a file and see if HorizSync and VertRefresh are the same as your manufacturer's specs. Linux should automaticly use the best available resolution (based on monitor and videa card). However, you can lie on HorizSync and VertRefresh and run your monitor out spec. This can damage the monitor and I don't recommend it.
    If I remember it correctly (in Windows right now)

It said...

Monitor:
    1024*786
    85, 65

something like that
    Then below there are bunch options and # stuff.

When I click on my monitor menu it says 60MHz.

I guess I can install Gaim using the update option during installation and just install Gaim?

Where can I get KDE 3.1?

Oh one more thing, the fonts are all screwy on internet (not as nice to read compare to Window). How can I fix that?

Another alternative for msn - amsn you can get it here it works very well, but is only for msn.

I'd suggest switching to mozilla, it seems to have more support in the linux community, and the newest version has bugfixes so shockwave aplets work now.

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Samsung"
    ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster 750(M)b"
    HorizSync 30-70
    VertRefresh 50-160

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
    # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
    # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
    EndSection

One more question..

What do I do so the windows won't group together?

Using KDE/Konqueror 3.0x is a nogo with this site.
    You should upgrade to KDE 3.1.

I'd suggest you install Mandrake 9.1, that should be the easiest for a newbie.

As for your refresh rates, use [b]xvidtune[/url] to tweak your screen position when changing it.

The error is something like "can't read .swf file". That means the Flash plugin is not installed.

Konqueror doesn't have it by itself, it needs to grab it from another browser as Netscape or Mozilla.

Get the RPM here
    Last edited by OldFrog; 03-28-2003 at 06:15 AM.

gaim most likely was insalled already. it usually is installed by default. just goto the command line and type gaim. or you could get it the RPM here

http://flow.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...9.9-1.i386.rpm

or if you prefer to compile (I like to compile) get the bz2 here

http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/s...0.59.9.tar.bz2

once installed just type gaim at the command line.

Hmmm I got Gaim to work...still trying to figure out the refresh rate though.

I have Samsung SyncMaster 753DF... not sure if what I have selected is the right setting (read above).

With the internet fonts.... how could I make it so it looks "better?" Right now the fonts look horrible.

How do I ungroup and windows? KDE seems to keep everything together...I don't like that.

When it comes to CD burning and DVD, which programs can I use?

What display card are you using?
    You can get better fonts from http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/ or by copying them from Windows.
    The windows placement style can be changed in the KDE control center.

Using GeForce 4 Ti4200...not 100% sure if I even have that set up properly in Mandrake. Oh.... how do I upgrade drivers?

The windows placement style can be changed in the KDE control center.
    How? I guess I need to install the font from the link you provided first....