Unhappy MONSTER RAID 1 Problem

Okay, I guess I'll start with a little background:

I'm attempting to run RAID 1 on one of two new systems I'm building for my parent's office. I bought Shuttle AK35GT2R motherboards, which have the Highpoint 372 chipset onboard. I'm only running RAID on one of the systems, so I purchased 3 Maxtor 20 GB hard drives.

The Problem:
    Okay, the problem boils down to copying/formatting failure. Let me explain. I first tried to install Win2k on one hard drive using the normal Primary IDE. This worked. So then I moved the drive over to the master plug on the first RAID channel, and added a blank hard drive to the slave channel. I went into the RAID bios, selected the copy info option, and it failed at 6 percent. I tried this again, it failed again; at 6 percent.

Next I tried to install Win2k right onto the already setup mirror. I downloaded the latest drivers for the highpoint chip, re-set up the mirrored raid, and started win2k installation. I hit f6, it prompted me for RAID drivers. I inserted my disk, the correct driver came up, I thought I was good. So the formatting starts, and goes normally; that is until 6 percent. After 6 percent, the hd light turned off, and it went way too fast on the rest. After it completed, it told me that formatting had failed. Grrrrr.

The last thing I tried was to install again on the regular IDE channel, move it over to the raid channel, and install the windows RAID manager software that came with my MB. This all worked, but when I tried to set up the mirror, it failed at 6 percent; and ruined my windows partition (cachefile error).

Let it be known that I have tried all possible combinations of the 3 hard drives, and have done all these steps on both motherboards. I am totally at a loss as to what to do. Oh, I eventually gave up and did a regular install on one of the boxes... runs fine (ide1 channel, 1 hd).

Any help is appreciated.

Here's what I did:

1) Install one one HD in IDE with RAID disabled
    2) Enable RAID and install RAID drivers in Windows
    3) Install second drive on other IDE channel and format it
    4) Convert all to dynamic volumes
    4) Move all to RAID channels and setup array from BIOS
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Unhappy Well.. that didn't work either

Tried doing that, and when I rebooted after installing the raid driver, windows failed to boot because the pagefile was missing or corrupt. I hate this chip.

Well if you failed at step 2, your problem may be elsewhere than the RAID array. Are you sure your drives are OK. Did you check your RAM?
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Amdeelicious

You didn't say what make/model drives they are. Please advise.

If they are WD then you must remove the jumper from each when they are on separate cables.

Well if you failed at step 2, your problem may be elsewhere than the RAID array. Are you sure your drives are OK. Did you check your RAM?
    Yeah, but windows also fails to format past 6% on a fresh install when using raid. It almost seemed as if enabling the raid and isntalling the driver by screwed my computer by itself, though that doesn't make sense. Everything installs/runs fine if I use the regular ide channel, which makes me believe the RAM is okay.

You didn't say what make/model drives they are. Please advise.

If they are WD then you must remove the jumper from each when they are on separate cables.
    The drives are Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 20 gigs. I have both installed one a single cable on the first raid channel, and both are set to cable select.

The thing is, the more I mess with it, the more I believe it is the raid controller's fault. I've tried the setup on 3 different hard drives, 2 motherboards and 2 sticks of RAM. Nothing works when I use the RAID setup. I'll tell you this much: Highpoint has lost a customer for life.

have you tried different versions of the Highpoint driver? Perhaps flashing back to an older version of BIOS.