Question Overclocking VNF3-250 athlon 64 for noobs?

Hello all, I just rescent purchased a chaintech VNF3-250 w/athlon 64 3000+, and have been reading alot of reviews claiming the board were excellent overclockers. I need a good guide and/or advice anyone has to offer to a noob overclocker!... I'm currently running 1 stick of pc 2700, and 1 stick of 2100 which leaves me at 266MHz. I don't wanna push this system to the max, I just wanna boost it from 2.0GHz to about 2.2GHz. So if anyone has any advice on multiplier, timings, good settings for me, and ect... It would be greatly apprieciated!
    additional info: running 768mb DDR at 134MHz CAS# Latency: 2.5, RAS# to CAS# delay: 3
    RAS# Precharge: 3, cycle time[TRAS]: 6, bank cycle time: 9, Dram idle timer: 16
    Current Mulitiplier: x10
    Core Speed: 2009MHz
    HTT: 201.0MHz
    Voltage: 1.500 V

Thank you!

Chaintech VNF3-250
    Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle
    TR2-M6(K8) Thermaltake heatsink/fan
    e-geforce FX 5600xt
    Maxtor diomandmax 9 plus 120Gb
    Kingston value ram 512mb pc 2700/256mb pc 2100
    hp pavilion mx75 monitor
    Last edited by TheDude21; 12-18-2004 at 10:35 AM.

Re: Overclocking VNF3-250 athlon 64 for noobs?

Ok, lets say I wanted to go from 2.0GHz to 2.2GHz, core speed would be 2200MHz, then divide that By the HTT which would be 220MHz, and I would end up with my default mutiplier x10. Would these settings work without blowing up my system?
    My default hypertransport bus is 800MHz, and it says not to exceed past 1000MHz in the guides I've been to. So, If I multiply my HTT(220MHz) x my LDT(4)= 880MHz and I would defenitly not exceed 1000MHz... Does this sound right???? If I run into a black screen at post will I be able to reset CMOS jumper to get it to work again??? Sorry for the stupid questions, Just being cautious. Anyone???
    Last edited by TheDude21; 12-18-2004 at 04:05 PM.

up the bus a little,async mem..should be asynced already for the mix up.try with the pc2700 stick.tight timings mean crap in a64 territory so dun worry
    yes,reseting will get u out of an impass.up vcore to 1.55...
    use speedfan

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_
    up the bus a little,async mem..should be asynced already for the mix up.try with the pc2700 stick.tight timings mean crap in a64 territory so dun worry
    yes,reseting will get u out of an impass.up vcore to 1.55...
    use speedfan
    Tnx for the reply! I finally got the nerve to raise the HTT to 220MHz with a mutiple of x10, and the LDT at x4, which gives me 2.2GHz. Since I have both a PC2700 and a PC2100 my memory raised from 133MHz to 147MHz. I'm using clockgen to OC, so is there a way of testing stability in windows? and kind of a stupid question...Does raising/lowering the multiplier effect performance?

P.S. I didn't change the Vcore to 1.55 because I heard to only up the voltage if the system becomes unstable? I may be wrong.

pop that down to 3,over 250 bus speed ull have.might have trouble.multi goes down only,upper locked..async mem...but try with the pc2700 lol...tell us what speedfsan is saying..temps might be either very off or ok...depending on bios version..tis a killa board,some have it as high as 300...the htt doesnt degrade performance when lowered..heck at 2 u wont notice nothing...pop everest home edition and take some quick benches
    thnks

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your

scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_
    pop that down to 3,over 250 bus speed ull have.might have trouble.multi goes down only,upper locked..async mem...but try with the pc2700 lol...tell us what speedfsan is saying..temps might be either very off or ok...depending on bios version..tis a killa board,some have it as high as 300...the htt doesnt degrade performance when lowered..heck at 2 u wont notice nothing...pop everest home edition and take some quick benches
    thnks
    Hi again, I've tried running with just the PC2700... and even at 333MHz it's still slower then running both sticks of ram. I had a stick of Apacer PC3200... but whenever I put it in, my front panel light would keep blinking without a post. Can you be more specific on what to pop down to 3? the LDT? Remember your talking to an overclocking noob My cpu temp reads about 46c Idle, and my board at 30c in digidoc for chaintech boards, and speed fan reads the same. However, I do not beleave this because after gaming in lets say UT2004 for about half an hour, my CPU heatsink is barely even warm. And is everrest home edition a free download? I've never heard of it. Thanks

oh, and my bios version is the most recent for VNF3-250 v4.0 10/19/04

yea,bring that biatch down
    it does not harm.make sure to keep up to date with the bioses,and get in teh chaintech forum..lotta ppl there have more experience on this board then me...

ps we are all noobs

of no board