Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CRT or LCD?

Originally posted by Gman43
    .........................bought a '19 Viewsonic A90F+ CRT. Guess, I should use the extra money for a video card upgrade as suggested in a previous post.
    Nice choice in monitors.
    I believe those performance monitors from ViewSoinc has real high refresh rates at high resolutions, so, yea, you might need a high quality video card.
    Windows98SE
    A7V BIOS 1012A
    w/900MHz Athlon
    Antec 550 Watt True Power
    VisionTek Ti4600(driver 41.09)
    ViewSonic A75f
    768 Megs of RAM (cas222)
    80GB Western Digital 7200 rpm w/ 8 meg cache
    Viking External Modem ~~230400 Throughput
    Rounded IDE Cables
    and the dreaded SoundBlaster Live card !!!

Originally posted by awhitney
    Can anyone answer this question for me please?

What about a LCD monitor that is 19 inches and has a response time of 16ms? Isn't that good enough for gaming and watching movies? and also is an LCD like that just as good as a crt?

I was planning on buying a viewsonic 19" LCD monitor as shown here: http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4257

Seems just as good as an CRT, but better.

Bottomline is this: DO YOU GET HEADACHES AT 60 HTZ on the REFRESH????

IF SO THEN A CRT IS A MUST OWN.

If NOT THEN A LCD WOULD BE THE BETTER OF THE CHOICE.

Bottomline if your really into games and play them alot you will want a CRT.

Good Luck!

Do all LCD monitors have a refresh rate of 60hz?

Wink

Yeap to date anyways!

And remember that goes the same for Laptops,,I know I own an Acer,, kind of sucks, but the game look good I just cant play for hours on end.

Originally posted by !nfineon
    75 for 15"
    Thats not bad,,but for alittle more you can get a good 17" and Enjoy your games ALOT more.

Good Luck!

I owned a top of the line Mitsubishi Trinitron 21" and now own a Dell 21" LCD 2000FP and couldn't be happier. Sold the old CRT for $600 and only paid $775 for the Dell. This is one case where you get more than what you pay for.
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.4 Ghz.
    SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM / 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics: A Player To Named Later
    Hitachi Deskstar 2TB (2 x 1TB) Internal / External
    Razer Imperator Game Mouse / Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard
    Samsung 225BW 22" LCD / Windows 7 Home Ed. 64-bit

At 1024X768 my LCD runs at 75hz.

It seems that many people here do not know how LCDs and CRTs work - there is no point comparing refresh rates of 60Hz or 75Hz between LCDs and CRTs! LCDs do NOT flicker - not in the same way CRTs do. I have a 15" LCD, can change my refresh from 60 to 75 and see no difference at all. With a CRT at 60Hz, I see the screen clearly flickering, it's very bad.

Why doesn't the LCD flicker? Well, the light comes from a CCFL, which is always ON! That refresh rate is just the speed of updating the pixel colors in the screen mask. However, even that is not meaningful, because to date, LCD screens have a response time that is slower than 75Hz. The videocard can send info at that rate, but the screen will take longer to reflect the change.

This is the main point - the response time in ms, determines the speed that the pixels can change their color information. If it is too slow, you see ghosting effects, and that is very bad for rapidly changing images, like in GAMES. However, for office APPLICATIONS, images are mostly static, and a good LCD can beat any CRT hands down, thanks to absolute image quality without any kind of geometry distortion or focus issues.

Bottom line is, when LCDs reach a fast enough response time, the CRT days will be over.

Originally posted by cecm
    It seems that many people here do not know how LCDs and CRTs work - there is no point comparing refresh rates of 60Hz or 75Hz between LCDs and CRTs! LCDs do NOT flicker - not in the same way CRTs do. I have a 15" LCD, can change my refresh from 60 to 75 and see no difference at all. With a CRT at 60Hz, I see the screen clearly flickering, it's very bad.

Why doesn't the LCD flicker? Well, the light comes from a CCFL, which is always ON! That refresh rate is just the speed of updating the pixel colors in the screen mask. However, even that is not meaningful, because to date, LCD screens have a response time that is slower than 75Hz. The videocard can send info at that rate, but the screen will take longer to reflect the change.

This is the main point - the response time in ms, determines the speed that the pixels can change their color information. If it is too slow, you see ghosting effects, and that is very bad for rapidly changing images, like in GAMES. However, for office APPLICATIONS, images are mostly static, and a good LCD can beat any CRT hands down, thanks to absolute image quality without any kind of geometry distortion or focus issues.

Bottom line is, when LCDs reach a fast enough response time, the CRT days will be over.
    true... i m thinking of building a stable Intel system (not in my rig.. ) just to move my LCD over and work...

true... i m thinking of building a stable Intel system (not in my rig.. ) just to move my LCD over and work...
    Are you implying that AMD systems are unstable?????

for me
    work = intel
    entertainment = AMD

Originally posted by HonestJohn
    I owned a top of the line Mitsubishi Trinitron 21" and now own a Dell 21" LCD 2000FP and couldn't be happier. Sold the old CRT for $600 and only paid $775 for the Dell. This is one case where you get more than what you pay for.
    I'll have to agree with you on the Dell 2000FP, 20.1" LCD
    It is honestly one of the BEST PC part purchases I've made!

I've read about people in other forums noticing slight ghosting on it and I've read the total opposite for other people.
    Personallly, I don't notice any ghosting on mine.

I play all kinds of games on it and absolutely love it. Have friends come over and they think it's beautiful when they see it in action.
    UT2K3, UT2, GTA3, BF 1942, Morrowwind, Earth and Beyond. Eve-Online, MOH AA + Spearhead. They all look awesome on it.

But this is just my experience with it. Someone else with different eyes my have a different opinion on it.

I admit, it was a pricey purchase when I got it back in Sept 02, but it can be hand for $850 and up now with all of the coupons Dell always has out there.

Was it the right decision for me, yes. All day long at work I have to work on a crappy 17" monitor, then all night long at home, play games on a Dell 19" monitor. My eyes were starting to kill me. Soon after making the switch to the LCD, I could definitely notice that my eyes were feeling less strained. Could my eyes have felt less strained with a larger, high quality monitor, probably.
    But I took the chance after reading several user opinions on the LCD that were positive.

So it's very personal preference driven and you're milage will vary.

I found it very difficult to judge a LCD's quality in the store because allot of time, the stores had them hooked up via analog instead of DVI.

For those interested, there is a very LONG, informative thread over at Arstechnica.com regarding LCD's, all sizes, technologies, etc.

LINK
    -AthlonXP 2700+, Corsair 2x512 PC-3200LLPT, Asus A7N8X Dlx rev1.04 bios 1002A1 Uber, SLK-800u, WinXP Pro SP1, Silver Chieftec server tower Aluminum, Antec TruePower480, Sunbeam Fan Controller, 20.1" Dell 2000FP LCD, Maxtor 120g, WD 120g, Pioneer 106S 16x DVD-ROM, Sony DRU-500A DVD burner, Radeon 9800 Pro, Onboard LAN, Onboard Sound