what does AGP 2x/4x/8x mean??

Hello All

I have an Asus a7n266-e board with the generic Geforce 2 GTS onboard video. I am going to upgrade the video card now. I guess that it is DEFINATELY time!!!

So I have an AGP 4x slot on the board. Thast is what the Asus site told me. AGP4x. So I went to pricewatch.com and I want to buy the ATI 9500 Pro. I see so many that say 8x but very few that say 4x. Can i only buy a 4x card because of my motherboard? Why are the 4x cards more expensive than the 8x?

To add more confusion I want to post this add I read so that you can decipher it with me:

"MFR: ATI/SAPPHIRE MODEL#: RADEON 9500PRO BUS: AGP 2X/4X/8X MEMORY: 128MB DDRAM TV-out & DVI"

What does that add state? I am thoroughly confused now. So....do I have to get the AGP 4x? Thanks for your replies...

The ad means that the video card will work in any motherboard that has a agp slot of 2x or greater. So if you buy the card and put it in your computer it will work at the supported speed of your motherboard which is 4x. to take advantage of 8x you would have to get a new motherboard that suports it.

The RADEON 9500PRO will work fine on your computer.

so do i have to chose between the cards myself?

what does AGP 2x/4x/8x mean??
    Hello All

I am still confused. My Motherboard supports AGP 4x. The ad says:

"MFR: ATI/SAPPHIRE MODEL#: RADEON 9500PRO BUS: AGP 2X/4X/8X MEMORY: 128MB DDRAM TV-out & DVI"

Does that mean that 1 card can support all of 2x/4x/8x AGP bus speeds? Or does it mean that they have 3 cards, 1 for 2x, one for 4x and one for 8x? Sorry for such a newbie question. Thanks.

Re: so do i have to chose between the cards myself?

It means that the one card can support all 3 AGP speeds.

Cool

An AGP x4 slot can run AGP x2 and AGPx 4 cards, but not AGPx1. It can run an AGP x8 card, but the card will run at AGP x4 (the performance loss is almost too small to measure).

An AGP x8 slot can run an AGP x2, AGP x4 or AGP x8 card, each at the correct AGP speed.

That help?

M