Page 326 of 389 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 5827

Thread: The Swamp

Re: The Swamp

I've been having issues with my new processor...

It seemed to have phantom loading of one of the HT cores, sometimes it showed the core "loaded up" other times it wasn't

So far it seems a re-install (of windows, drivers, etc.) has fixed it, only time will tell

how about this weather we're having? got down to -5 last night! that's before the wind chill.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Supposed to be in the low teens to single digits here all weekend...sounds like a stay inside weekend to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    how about this weather we're having? got down to -5 last night! that's before the wind chill.
    yea,

I woke up to -1...Now its + 3.2

Nice

i have one of those wireless weather stations, and -5 was the lowest temp it recorded last night. i think we're in the positives now.

btw, card should be arriving today.

in other news my bank has been charging me 4 bucks a month for not meeting balance/transfer thresholds for a savings account i earn .85% apy on. i mean last month i earned 1 penny worth of interest.

i use it just as an emergency fund account, only a couple hundred in it at any one time (anymore and i transfer it to a real savings account), instantly transferable. i keep my bulk savings in an account at another establishment, less likely to use it and MUCH better rate.

anyhow they require a balance of 400 or 25 dollar auto transfer each month. i make four 20 dollar transfers a month, BUT they're not the auto transfers the bank wants. they want me to make some sort of archaic transfer through my branch or something. i can't even figure out why there is a difference. i guess they would be in control of it, but then that totally screws over any sort of convenience of online banking.

i got them to refund me like 12 bucks so far, which is the sum total i believe ive been charged, but it looks like i'm going to have to send them nasty letters each month. they claim to have an account that would better fit my needs, but i already have the lowliest savings account they offer.

i should add that my original bank, National City, was bought up by PNC this past year and that's when things got bad.

just needed to rant about that. it's ridiculous the petty fees they'll charge you for such stupid stuff.

Not that cold here. It was about 15 this morning but we did get 4-6" of snow last night. That's one of the bigger snows for us this year. It's strange but the last few winters have been somewhat mild here compared to the years before. I remember those 2-3 ft blizzards not long ago and now 6" is a lot.

Sub, is Credit Union membership an option for you? They tend to be more user friendly with lower or no fees on the silly stuff.

Other news ... ever since I pulled the X-Fi from my rig it's been a lot more stable. I did have one BSOD in BLOPS last week. But overall more stable and the on-board sound has been totally reliable.

Question ... do you guys have a recommendation for a good registry cleaner for Win7? I use CCLEANER now and it seems fine. Just wondering if there's anything better. I had a few I used for WinXP (like RegscrubXP) but they are old now and I'm not willing to risk them on Win7.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Not that cold here. It was about 15 this morning but we did get 4-6" of snow last night. That's one of the bigger snows for us this year. It's strange but the last few winters have been somewhat mild here compared to the years before. I remember those 2-3 ft blizzards not long ago and now 6" is a lot.

Sub, is Credit Union membership an option for you? They tend to be more user friendly with lower or no fees on the silly stuff.

Other news ... ever since I pulled the X-Fi from my rig it's been a lot more stable. I did have one BSOD in BLOPS last week. But overall more stable and the on-board sound has been totally reliable.

Question ... do you guys have a recommendation for a good registry cleaner for Win7? I use CCLEANER now and it seems fine. Just wondering if there's anything better. I had a few I used for WinXP (like RegscrubXP) but they are old now and I'm not willing to risk them on Win7.
    i do have a savings account at a credit union, used to when i had my old auto loan with them. they offer no online banking and i'm so entrenched with my current accounts because of bill pays and what not that i dread the thought of switching.

wouldn't use a registry cleaner at all. generally do more harm than good. ccleaner is fine, but beyond that you're playing with fire in my experience, and when they do seem to work i notice no measurable performance or stability increase.

if you're worried about the old sound drivers, driver sweeper should work.

i never had an stability problems with my x-fi, i always hated the driver support and it's still total junk, but never experienced any sort of stability issues with it.

wonder if you got a bad card? or it has gone bad?

i do have a savings account at a credit union, used to when i had my old auto loan with them. they offer no online banking and i'm so entrenched with my current accounts because of bill pays and what not that i dread the thought of switching.

wouldn't use a registry cleaner at all. generally do more harm than good. ccleaner is fine, but beyond that you're playing with fire in my experience, and when they do seem to work i notice no measurable performance or stability increase.

if you're worried about the old sound drivers, driver sweeper should work.

i never had an stability problems with my x-fi, i always hated the driver support and it's still total junk, but never experienced any sort of stability issues with it.

wonder if you got a bad card? or it has gone bad?
    I agree with sub. Not nearly as much need for a registry cleaner with windows 7. Thats one piece of software that I'm happy to see go. I also don't bother with "driver cleaners" anymore. I never saw any instability after removing a driver that was fixed by a driver cleaner. I think at this point its more hocus pocus than anything. Shame about the loss of the x-fi, but at this point I'm kind of happy to be rid of the extra complication of installing my sound card.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I agree with sub. Not nearly as much need for a registry cleaner with windows 7. Thats one piece of software that I'm happy to see go. I also don't bother with "driver cleaners" anymore. I never saw any instability after removing a driver that was fixed by a driver cleaner. I think at this point its more hocus pocus than anything. Shame about the loss of the x-fi, but at this point I'm kind of happy to be rid of the extra complication of installing my sound card.
    i used driver sweeper most recently because i switched from nv to ati, it really shouldn't make much difference, but nv had half a dozen entries in my add/remove programs control panel and even using those uninstallers were haphazard for whatever reason. seems their new in/unstaller is the culprit.

otherwise, even though i paid for driver cleaner, i haven't bothered with one in ages. couldn't hurt with removing the creative stuff, there's tons of it.

upgrading video drivers i haven't bothered though, i'm excited to see the steam update process when ati releases the 11.1 cats.

Saw 7 here. I got wood and kerosense heater. Keeping warm and toasty...

Quote Originally Posted by middydj View Post
    Saw 7 here. I got wood and kerosense heater. Keeping warm and toasty...
    ever thought of switching to corn? my uncle uses a corn stove, but he also gets free corn from the farmer down the road.

Banks are trying to pass a law right now that would allow them to charge a fee for every transaction.

That's right, EVERY TRANSACTION.

Probably something better suited for TLR, but anyhoo....

anyone played that abomination of a game metro 2033?

people said crysis was just a tech demo, at least it was somewhat enjoyable. so far metro 2033 is a PITA!

they give you next to nothing as far as direction. the enemies are bullet sponges. doesn't even look that good to me. and the mouse controls feel laggy.

i'm at one point where i'm supposed to meet up with this guy and eventually get his ak, and i cannot for the life of me get passed these blindish mutants. not sure if i'm supposed to stand around and wait forever, try to sneak by them, or what.

oh and they put ammo and stuff in places that if you wander into them, you cannot get out.

it's as if someone who really hated video games created this game.

I used a driver cleaner recently only because I wanted to be sure everything about the X-Fi was gone. I was experiencing Win7 boot hangs at the Startup screen. Also about half the time after a clean boot the X-Fi wasn't recognized and I had no sound at all. Other times when it was recognized it could cut out after a while. Could be a bad card I supposed. I've been meaning to try it in another computer. Just been busy with other things.

Based on what CCLEANER finds to clean in my register I'm not sure I can agree it's entirely unneeded. Win7 may do a better job of keeping it clean itself but it seems there are still opportunities for cleaning.

It's about 9 F here right now but its windy and feels much colder. Buu and I were out shopping and outside it just felt downright frigid.

I have a wood pellet (not corn) stove that I use for supplemental heat. My primary is baseboard hot water + oil boiler. I installed the pellet stove a couple years ago when heating oil was near $5 a gallon. It's got pros and cons. Nice cozy heat for sure. But its a bit noisy and rather messy to maintain.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

21F here. I guess being a little further south/nearer the coasts has its advantages.

PS whats a wood fired heater, we have natural gas here

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present