Page 8 of 389 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Swamp

Originally posted by Lenny
    Titan, I like the way the news is grouped by site. The pages is a bit slow loading at first. Is it actually going out to the various sites and retrieving the headlines?
    Yep, that what takes so darn long. I'm trying to find a way to automate the updating on the server, not when it is requested. That would prevent the long wait.

Can't you cache it somewhere? and then point request to the cache. Just a thought.

RedBox
    Games I play

Good morning guys (and gal). What a nice weekend this was. Spent Friday at home relaxing and visiting the inlaws. Then went to my folks' place on Saturday for Easter dinner. Yesterday was spent at home and rollerblading (just starting to pick up this sport).

Gorgeous weekend too! Too bad it's back to 2C tomorrow.

TitanMan, how are you storing those headlines? Are you maintaining a table (MySQL or whatever) for all those headlines?
    Mobile Editor - PC Perspective
    Follow me on Twitter

A while back when we were posting pictures of our computer rooms, I remember someone here having a steering wheel and a Chewbacca in their computer room... who was it?

Anyway, whoever it was, check out this thread:

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=218195

Follow me on Twitter

Originally posted by Jerky
    A while back when we were posting pictures of our computer rooms, I remember someone here having a steering wheel and a Chewbacca in their computer room... who was it?

I'll test my poor memory and guess .. wb22rules
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

That was my first gut instict too and shot him a PM before posting the above.

I think wb22 is the most logical choice, though I can't seem to associate the Chewbacca with him though.
    Follow me on Twitter

The hippest place in the Universe (as voted by the readers of PlayBeing).... my left cranium
    Good morning all. Wow - do you realise that I didn't turn a PC on from the time I turned my latop off on Thursday after work until I turned it on again this morning.... Gotta be the longest period without electronic comfort in a while

Well, FINALLY I got to install out front lawn. If I say so myself, it looks awesome. Then spent Saturday pottering around the rest of the garden putting in a couple of flowers into our raised bed & sorting out the automatic sprinklers. I'll post a pic tomorrow with any luck. The memory card on my camera is full

Ms T. Sore? Me? Why?

My rigs My Games

Join the Fragging Frogs and get your own back on flamers, thread stealers and the mods.
    So you think you know where your towel is?

TitanMan, how are you storing those headlines? Are you maintaining a table (MySQL or whatever) for all those headlines?
    It's all automated.

Currently, when the script receives an incoming request, it asks itself when the last update to the static page was. If it is more than five minutes, it generates a new static page for use within the next five minutes. If it has been less than five minutes, you get a nice zippy load because it returned the static page to you. The problem is that hits are almost always more than five minutes apart, causing it to regenerate the page before returning it.

I'm searching for a way to automate the updating "behind the scenes" so that the load times are fast. Anyone have any suggestions? My host doesn't support cron jobs, the main way to automate script execution.

Oh, and good morning.

Yes, it was WB. It was a Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel. And it wasn't Chewbacca, it was Spock which is now guarding the front door of Tigs and {Tigress} house.

RedBox
    Games I play

Originally posted by RedBox
    Yes, it was WB. It was a Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel. And it wasn't Chewbacca, it was Spock which is now guarding the front door of Tigs and {Tigress} house.

RedBox
    Ok, that makes more sense. I remember Spock and the wheel but I didn't remember Chewbacca. He also mentioned having another figure in his basement if I remember correctly but I don't remember which figure. Was that Chewbacca?

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Ok, that makes more sense. I remember Spock and the wheel but I didn't remember Chewbacca. He also mentioned having another figure in his basement if I remember correctly but I don't remember which figure. Was that Chewbacca?
    Oooh. You're right, it was Spock. I don't know where Chewbacca came from. Maybe some latent memories I'm trying hard to suppress.
    Follow me on Twitter

He wasn't around yesterday evening but I caught him chilling out by the pond this morning. Got 17 pics of him. Distance shots at first because I was afraid he would leave but it turns out he wasn't shy at all. I got some later macro shots with the camera less than one foot away from him. No time before work to get the pics onto my webspace but I'll do that first chance I get.
    I finally uploaded the 9 best pics of the REAL Fragging Frog
    His rocket launcher is no doubt hidden in the grass
    Click here to see a directory listing of all 9 pics.
    The pics on my webspace have been resized from 1600x1200 down to 800x600 and are ~100k each.

Here is a sample:

Wow! What camera is that? Those are really nice and sharp pictures Len. Good to finally see the mascot for FF.

On pic2, it that a snake in the background?

RedBox
    Games I play

See if you can persuade him to pose with a miniature gun in front of a blue screen.

hey TitanMan your news service is realy nice thanks

Lenny that is quite a frog you got there I have never seen one like that , still brown in NewYork? it is just now fully green in GA